• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS Anime Reveals Main Staff, Lead Voice Actor

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Hosoda stepping up from his original Yu-Gi-Oh! role. Been a long time coming. Fock! Yoshida. So it was Hara and not Miyoshi this time who broke tradition. Hara, you know better. smh Hikokubo doing the duel layout is no surprise. Oh snap! Mitsumune returns after so long! Tominaga doing the OP! Nice. Ah! We're back to unknown VA's again.

Buster Blader and Odd-Eyes Firewall Link Dragon!
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Tominaga doing an opening is exciting. Loved his work on Jojo.

Kind of strange Shinkichi Mitsumune is coming back when he didn't return to compose Darkside of Dimension's score. Not complaining though, I loved his work on the original series.

I've heard the new director has a lot of experience writing for troubled productions. Considering the troubled production some Yugioh series have had, it's good they got someone who can handle this. Hopefully VRains will have a smooth production, but it never hurts to be prepared.

The plot sounds awesome, as expected of Yoshida. I do have sort of mixed feelings about his return, however. But as long as the story stays as consistent as Zexal's, and the characters are likable, I won't complain.

I'll wait until I hear the voice Shoya uses for Yusaku to judge, but the voice samples I've heard from him are promising.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
The better question is, can Yoshida handle females well this time around?
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yūsaku hates standing out, and at his school he doesn't.

Kind of hard to believe with hair like that.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite interested in what Gō looks like outside of VR Space...I doubt he would be able to access formal places in reality with an outfit so radical.
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:58 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:

I wouldn't get my hopes up, but VRains is already a step up over his last anime effort. Aoi's actually a duelist, unlike Kotori. It's also possible we might get a female as the season/series big bad this time around. It's something Yoshida's started to do since the Zexal and Arc-V mangas.
Miguel Angel Garcia Owen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:09 pm Reply with quote
One little detail though.
Yusakus Ace monster is not Decode Talker. Is Firewall Dragon,
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:41 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:

Yu-Gi-Oh females are there for fanservice, so I wouldn't expect much. Although she looks rather plain for a female character in this franchise.

-Stuart Smith
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget, marketing plays a factor. If having a more prominent female like Yuzu helped with card sales, they'll make Yoshida give Aoi more duels whether he wants to or not.

Another thing that would help is having Go Zappa as part of the writing staff. He's the one responsible for some of the best writing YGO females have ever gotten, like Yuzu's rivalry and duels with Masumi. Just having him as an episode writer would ensure Aoi will occasionally get a chance to shine.
NBlaze53

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:36 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
MajinAkuma wrote:

Yu-Gi-Oh females are there for fanservice, so I wouldn't expect much. Although she looks rather plain for a female character in this franchise.

-Stuart Smith

Aki, just....Aki. She was fanservice, but damn if she didn't have a good character arc. On 5D's Carly wasn't too bad for the series first half. Arc-V had Yuzu and Serena who weren't that bad either until they both became damsel's in distress.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1