• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tracking Board: Get Out's Jordan Peele in Talks to Direct Live-Action Akira

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
If ghost in the shell does well,I wonder if live action anime movies will be milked to death like comic book movies are.

Last edited by Nekelen Tinsley on Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Man, Jordan Peele is everywhere these days. I haven't seen Get Out, though I heard everyone utterly adored it aside from a racist troll reviewer from the National Review, so heck - since they're both horror I could give Peele a shot. I just hope they do the full story this time. Or... any time.

Nekelen Tinsley wrote:
If ghost in the shell does well,I wonder if live action anime movies will be milked to death like comoc book movies are.

Critically, it's actually doing decent. And let's be honest - at least the Marvel movies are awesome. And besides - having a lot of (good) anime-based movies will only be beneficial for us niche people.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Huh. Well. Suddenly this might actually be interesting.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Very weird choice. I love Key & Peele, and I've heard Get Out is good, but this is entirely different. Who knows? Maybe a comedian can bring something new to the action genre. Look at James Gunn.
Dr.N0

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Huh. Well. Suddenly this might actually be interesting.
My thoughts, exactly. Now that is something I can get behind.
masat01

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
As long as he can make the good guys black and the bad guys white, Jordan will be all over this.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
If anyone told me five years ago that a former MADtv cast member would be in consideration for directing an American adaptation of one of the most influential anime films of all time... I'd have called them insane.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
masat01 wrote:
As long as he can make the good guys black and the bad guys white, Jordan will be all over this.

what an odd thing to say. would you care to expand on this thought?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Good luck. Even the Japanese couldn't convincingly condense the story of the manga into a single movie. Even the guy who WROTE the manga couldn't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Unlike Death Note and Ghost in the Shell, I truly feel Akira is a story that has to be set in Japan and feature an all-Asian cast. I'd only be fine with a Hollywood adaptation if it were like that, even if the actors were all Asian-American and spoke English onscreen.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
If anyone told me five years ago that a former MADtv cast member would be in consideration for directing an American adaptation of one of the most influential anime films of all time... I'd have called them insane.

This guy wasn't part of what I would consider the "good era" of MadTV and to call MadTV very good for long is kind of stretching... It's just at the time MadTV started airing, SNL was already in its horribly bland writing, rote-politicking phase with unremarkable casting and getting worse. I'll grant that the first 3-4 years of MadTV did have a fair amount of chuckles.
MadTV was never THAT good but for a time it was easier to stomach than SNL. It got worse, too, and there was nothing to choose between SNL and MadTV in its it last 5-6 year on air. They were both bad!

Zhou-BR wrote:
Unlike Death Note and Ghost in the Shell, I truly feel Akira is a story that has to be set in Japan and feature an all-Asian cast. I'd only be fine with a Hollywood adaptation if it were like that, even if the actors were all Asian-American and spoke English onscreen.

Won't happen... There simply aren't a lot of worldwide, bankable Japanese actors.

They're going to fill it with Hollywood guys in the key character roles.
That's who funding it, it makes a lot more sense for them to cast Americans and Europeans whether we like it or not.
One thing people forget is that MOST adaptations are NOT straight adaptations. The Magnificent Seven was a retranslation of The Seven Samurai set in the West with major western/action stars in both versions of M7... It's usually been the that the resemblances between the Asian and Hollywood translations of the same story has been slim, very insignificant aside from the major plot points. It's generally better when they tackle adaptations loosely.

This is a horrendously big story to even attempt adapting..
It'll end up being a retranslation of the 1987 animated Akira.
I don't see how this live-action film is going to be closer to the manga which is sprawling and was created over a period of nearly a decade.
Mark my words -- aside from glints of Peele's own brand of humor, hate it or love it, it's going to be a rote adaptation of the animated film.

The animated film is what people are familiar, that's the imagery they're going to use. Unless a "Blade Runner" to multi-ethnic, hellish future city approach is used, it will seem weird and anachronistic to have white guys and black guys populating an Asian city in major key character roles.
Don't forget, though -- at tone time Leo DiCaprio or someone like him was imagined as playing the role of Kaneda in an earlier failed attempt at adapting Akira.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh please please please let this come true! Peele is amazing as a director and a writer. Get Out is one of the most phenomenal films I have seen this decade. It'd be very cool if he directs Akira.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Time to bring out American Akira again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jafd97yJFOI

It's getting pretty dated, though. Needs an updated version for modern issues in film.
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Please, please, please, for the love of god, just cast some unknown Asian teenagers. The story is called Akira and it takes place in Neo Tokyo. Which is in Japan.

Hell, cast Japanese Americans and have them do part of the movie in Japanese...
ShinuZERO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Please, please, please, for the love of god, just cast some unknown Asian teenagers. The story is called Akira and it takes place in Neo Tokyo. Which is in Japan.

Hell, cast Japanese Americans and have them do part of the movie in Japanese...

The name could be changed and the location just as easily. As long as the director or writers understand the core of what makes Akira a great story, I and many other fans will be satisfied.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2