• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Cage of Eden GN 21

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately this series got the axe so it was rushed especially considering we had some questions left unanswered like what happened to akira's other childhood friend kohei and who the kid in the mask was that showed up in the beginning arc. Been a while since I read it but I'm sure there were other things too.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
time-slip finale

I wouldn't say that it was a cop out. This was foreshadowed quite early on, if my memory isn't failing me.

But yeah, loved all of Cage of Eden aside from the ending.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:29 am Reply with quote
I haven't read a whole lot of manga but this is one of those that I have and I think that overall it's a really good story. I think the mystery surrounding the island is intriguing until the very end but I think it's the characters that made this manga so fun to me. There were so many characters that I really liked like the big mean-looking dude and the teacher (I can't remember anyone's name). Or the karate girl. Or that one spoiler[dude who dropped off a cliff and was never seen again]. I think I liked all the good guys, I don't remember disliking anyone. Yes, the ending sucks but that doesn't erase all the great adventures that preceded it. Not for me anyway.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
The reveal at the end is lifted almost straight from one of the earliest survival-horror manga, spoiler[The Drifting Classroom.]
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I read the first volume of this when it first came out and lost track of it I liked it sorry to hear the last volume ends with such a resounding thud apparently.
lhernan02

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
While I agree that the ending was rushed and left quite a few loose ends, at least there was an ending, most cancelled series don't get even that.

But I disagree that the main plot point was unexpected. It was foreshadowed in one of the earliest volumes when they discovered the obelisk (1st tower) which had the rich girl's name and RIP on it. Maybe I am just too used to these stories, but from then on I was just waiting to see how they developed the story between the time jump and the present, which, in the end (to the detriment of other plot points), they did very thoroughly spoiler[(the rich girl's dad and the MC's mom island building)].
indigo41

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I misread this manga. I read it a long time ago and always thought they were all clones of their original. The island was originally a laboratory that brought back to life extinct animals because they were the original test subjects before they brought back the humans. It was all funded by the grandfather of the little girl and headed by the MC's mother. The man in the mask was originally going to be a failed clone of the MC. That was just my theory in all of this.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Lost and its model of "don't offer answers, just offer more questions" storytelling is at fault for a number of stories from both sides of the Pacific. Making the story about survivors on a mysterious island... ok, full disclosure, while I could reference Jules Verne's Mysterious Island as the ur example, he had a plot and a definite conclusion in mind so it doesn't count in its own genre, kind of... is a pretty obvious clue to where the premise came from. The drama was fine, the sci fi dubious and monster action so clinical, it felt like the writer was using excerpts from an ancient creatures encyclopedia.

So Lost mixed with a factual King Kong. And while I read the ending, it never made an impression on me as much as the earlier character drama did. Again, like Lost.
Distant Thunder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
The reveal at the end is lifted almost straight from one of the earliest survival-horror manga, spoiler[The Drifting Classroom.]

This! I wondered if anyone noticed too, but as someone that like Drifting Classroom a lot, (although the end feels equally unsatisfying) Cage of Eden reminded me a lot of it, much more so than Battle Royale and other works from the "Highschoolers left to themselves on lost Island end up throwing a death tournament" trope.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Cage of Eden's finale is definitely a disappointment. While Yamada does manage to make it work to a degree, it still feels rushed and half-assed, as if it were thrown together at the last minute due to an abrupt change of plan.
Sounds like the ending of "Ah My Goddess". That was 48 volumes of time wastage. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1