• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Is the Order a Rabbit? season 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:45 am Reply with quote
I'v bought Is the Order a Rabbit? both seasons and do enjoy them, but then I'm a sucker for Cute Girls doing Cute Things. Wasn't happy with how Mocha was portrayed, she seemed to almost get that her "Big Sister" act wasn't working like she expected, it took Cocoa refusing to send any letters for a month to get her to pay attention.

Mark Gosdin
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Cells from Evangelion, Now and Then, Here and There and Key The Metal Idol? Heavens, I fathom that treasures of that nature would need insuring!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Macron One

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Nice collection this week!
I see he owns Prefectural Earth Defense Force and Dear Brother on DVD, as well as the Cardcaptor Sakura BD Box. That's some seriously cool stuff.

Zin5ki wrote:
Cells from Evangelion, Now and Then, Here and There and Key The Metal Idol? Heavens, I fathom that treasures of that nature would need insuring!

His Evangelion cels ought to be worth several hundred dollars each, i would think. The other production art pieces are likely not particularly valuable (used to be a cel/sketch collector myself), though i am very envious of that YKK sketch. The single most valuable thing in that collection may actually be his complete set of Maison Ikkoku DVDs. Those sell for crazy money nowadays.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
The YKK manga, in paperback and hardcover? That's nice. I only have the paperback edition, and it's rather yellowed now.
The sketch from the YKK anime is cool Anime smile (It's at 10m03s436ms of ep.2 of the Quiet Country Cafe OVA, if y'all want to look it up)
And that art book must be beautiful. I'd love to have some of Ashinano's color drawings in poster size.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
unlike most cute girls doing cute things it kinda changes thing around by changing the character focus, both with oneechan and the elementary school girls.

that being said, it pretty much feels the same.

mgosdin wrote:
I'm a sucker for Cute Girls doing Cute Things.

Mark Gosdin

got to wait for a Danberu nan kiro moteru anime project then, cute girls lifting cute weights.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Gochiusa. All I want to do after a particular hard day of work is watch something like that sometimes. Hopefully will be getting that second season sooner rather than later. I actually thought it was a small step above the first season, but that could just be because I was more familiar with the characters. Or more in the mood. I dunno.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

Honestly, almost all the cels I have (except for Evangelion and Trigun) didn't cost that much. Most were 20-50 dollar range. Even that great Key cel was like 40 dollars. But I got that a few years ago so maybe they've gone up since then.

Kimiko_0 wrote:
The YKK manga, in paperback and hardcover? That's nice. I only have the paperback edition, and it's rather yellowed now.
The sketch from the YKK anime is cool Anime smile (It's at 10m03s436ms of ep.2 of the Quiet Country Cafe OVA, if y'all want to look it up)
And that art book must be beautiful. I'd love to have some of Ashinano's color drawings in poster size.

No, they are both paper back. I wish I had hardcovers! I got a second collection because I've been considering getting a YKK tattoo for a while, and I wanted a second collection in case I needed to remove some pages for art references. Initially I also got the artbook for the same reason, but its so nice that I'm going to let it be. I really really wish someone would license YKK. I have the manga and DVD, but I want to have an official English release.

Macron One wrote:
Nice collection this week!
I see he owns Prefectural Earth Defense Force and Dear Brother on DVD, as well as the Cardcaptor Sakura BD Box. That's some seriously cool stuff... The single most valuable thing in that collection may actually be his complete set of Maison Ikkoku DVDs. Those sell for crazy money nowadays.

So I broke it down to see what was the most expensive anime I own. And its not Maison Ikkoku. While that entire series did cost me a arm and a leg, its not the most I spent if you consider money spent per minute of anime. That honor goes to Prefectural Earth Defense Force. It runs for about 45 minutes. Compare that to vol 8 of Maison Ikkoku, which runs for 300 minutes. And yet I spent about the same amount for both.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:14 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I really enjoyed Gochiusa. All I want to do after a particular hard day of work is watch something like that sometimes.
I agree, it's very relaxing to watch. The setting is so peaceful and idyllic, I always like those kind of faux-European towns in anime.
The music is quite nice as well, I bought the soundtrack to it a while ago. Makes good BGM for housework and other activities.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:22 am Reply with quote
I'm curious about the Master Keaton volumes. Are Vol. 5 and 8 later reissues, or earlier originals? All of my volumes have the gold titles rather than silver (or pink?), so now I'm wondering which I have. Very Happy
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:39 am Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
No, they are both paper back. I wish I had hardcovers! I got a second collection because I've been considering getting a YKK tattoo for a while, and I wanted a second collection in case I needed to remove some pages for art references. Initially I also got the artbook for the same reason, but its so nice that I'm going to let it be. I really really wish someone would license YKK. I have the manga and DVD, but I want to have an official English release.

A tattoo.. That's dedication Anime smile
It'd have to be either the fish weather vane, or Sensei's symbol, wouldn't it?

I hope the manga and/or OVAs get licensed too. I'll be sure to bring it up again once Pied Piper finishes with Skip Beat!.
Peter Hunt

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:01 am Reply with quote
Not meaning to be a jerk, but how many of those cels do you think are legit?

I've been dumb enough to fork out a few hundred for one, then cross-referenced the anime it was from and not one moment in the scene does it look like the cel I bought. Then later I see another listing (this is all on eBay) with another cel from the same scene, practically identical in terms of pose, size, etc and it looks completely different again.

So yeah, if they're all real and legit, I envy you. I just don't want others to get fooled like myself.
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote
I thought the second season of "Is the Order a Rabbit?" stepped up its sense of humor a bit compared to the first, as if it dared to stick its neck out more humorwise. Offhand, I remember Chiya's "let them eat cake" reference, as well as more physical/situational stuff like when they were talking pictures of each other with their cellphones, and Chiya took the winning shot. It's still a "cute for cuteness' sake" kind of a show, but overall, I'd place it above average compared to its many, many siblings in the "cute show about cute girls" market.

Which isn't the highest bar, I know. Still, I'm willing to give credit where credit is due, and ItOaR? is actually pretty fun. And nice-looking too.
Swissman

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
@David.Seth

Frankly, when I first saw your pictures, I thought somebody broke into my home and took a couple of pictures of my collection.Razz I mean, we share similar tastes. I have that big End of Evangelion LD-Box too, as well as the YKK Artbook and the japanese volumes of both YKK and Flowers of Evil, a couple of Key the metal Idol Cels and a Golden Boy cels too... but I don't have any YKK nor Ima, soko ni iru boku cels. Oh, wait ... I have some of Shû and Abelia, but none of Lala-Ru and I always wanted to have a nice one of Alpha from YKK.
Anyway, great collection!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
David.Seth

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:

A tattoo.. That's dedication Anime smile
It'd have to be either the fish weather vane, or Sensei's symbol, wouldn't it?

I was actually thinking of getting one of Alpha. I did think of the fish weather vane too, but I probably won't get that.

Peter Hunt wrote:

I've been dumb enough to fork out a few hundred for one, then cross-referenced the anime it was from and not one moment in the scene does it look like the cel I bought. Then later I see another listing (this is all on eBay) with another cel from the same scene, practically identical in terms of pose, size, etc and it looks completely different again.

So yeah, if they're all real and legit, I envy you. I just don't want others to get fooled like myself.

I appreciate your concern. I do have doubts about the Evangelion cels authenticity. There really isn't anyway for me to verify one way or the other. I did the same thing you did, I compared the cel with the scene from the series and movie. Looks exact, but again that doesn't prove its the real deal. I even asked the guy who runs EvaMonkey to get his opinion. He didn't sound optimistic lol. But I dont really care st this point. I enjoy them and I am glad they are in my collection. Will I spend that kind of money again on a cel? God I hope not.

I do think that most of my other cels, if not all of them, are legit if for the only reason that they aren't from super popular titles. Like who is going to go out of their way to fake a Dual! Parrallel Trouble Adventure cel and background. But I do recommend anyone who is interested in getting a cel to do their research and keep in mind that you are spending money on something thats difficult to get authenticated

Swissman wrote:
I always wanted to have a nice one of Alpha from YKK.

I know I should be content with the genga I have of Alpha, but I really want a cel too. I guess its hard to find cels from a really niche anime =/

Last edited by David.Seth on Wed May 03, 2017 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Macron One

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:05 pm Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
Peter Hunt wrote:

I appreciate your concern. I do have doubts about the Evangelion cels authenticity. There really isn't anyway for me to verify one way or the other. I did the same thing you did, I compared the cel with the scene from the series and movie. Looks exact, but again that doesn't prove its the real deal. I even asked the guy who runs EvaMonkey to get his opinion. He didn't sound optimistic lol. But I dont really care st this point. I enjoy them and I am glad they are in my collection. Will I spend that kind of money again on a cel? God I hope not.

I do think that most of my other cels, if not all of them, are legit if for the only reason that they aren't from super popular titles. Like who is going to go out of their way to fake a Dual! Parrallel Trouble Adventure cel and background. But I do recommend anyone who is interested in getting a cel to do their research and keep in mind that you are spending money on something thats difficult to get authenticated

Fake cels are pretty much a non-issue for anything that isn't going to sell for at least $300 or more. You might come across fanmade cels for lesser known series, but these typically won't have a sequence number in the top right corner, which should make it pretty obvious, unless we're talking hanken cels (cels made for promotional art).

Popular series like Evangelion, Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon or Ah my Goddess and noteworthy films like those from Ghibli are the most at risk of fakes being produced. Even then, they typically don't bother attempting to produce fake genga/douga or hand-painted BGs to go along with the counterfeit cels, so if your cels are accompanied by other handdrawn/painted art, it should probably be fine. Fake cels also tend to be particularly striking looking close-ups of popular characters and are normally the most attractive snapshot from their sequence. If there's a better looking cel in the cut which your cel originates from, it's highly unlikely that you're in possesion of a fake.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2