• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Weeks of Apr 1-28

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Sweet!! Titan on top and top 4 overall!!

Also a great shout out to Akashic Record!! After the abysmal first episode, it did not just improve, but becoming a MUCH better "new" show completely. One of my most anticipated spring Show every week Smile
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe James got stuck with the Chaos Dragon of the season yet again Laughing
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I can't believe James got stuck with the Chaos Dragon of the season yet again Laughing

Seriously. It's almost like he volunteers for them Wink.

One column in and Hand Shakers and Rakugo's records remain unbroken. Not that that was a surprise. Just goes to show what unique specimens those two were.

I didn't expect Natsume to be the top, but the last season was a regular top contender, so that isn't too surprising. I don't know that I would put it as my number one, but it is a worthy contender.

Nice to see SukaSuka doing well, and given the ratings for their next episodes, it may surpass Re:Creators soon -maybe even next week- to be the top non-sequel and number 5 overall.

Tsuki ga kirei, Saekano, and Akashic Records are recovering nicely after relatively lower first episodes, and I think they will keep it up. Sword Oratoria not so much, though I hope it will get better.

And the bottom of the cumulative is as expected, with the lowest rated shows from the preview guide that made it to reviews still at the bottom, in the same order even (Eromanga was tied with Akashic Records though).
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Very cool to see Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul doing fairly well. I've always considered watching The Eccentric Children since it's written by the author of The Tatami Galaxy, I'll definitely get around to watching it this season. I'm slowly losing more and more interest in Re:Creators, it tries very hard to be meta but wastes way too much time on dragged out and boring dialogue between monotonous characters. If that is the best new show of the season then this year's Spring is sorely lacking. I'll give it till episode 7, hopefully it'll do something much more creative with it's concept by then.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, i can defintely agree on the top 5, not necessarily in the same order, but it's close enough.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I am very surprised that Attack on Titan has not been the absolute number one ranked show; season 2 has been amazing so far. I don't want to believe that it has lost too much steam after 4 years of waiting. I would not be terribly shocked if discs sales flop in Japan, but I have for a long time believed that Western fans are more patient and forgiving of long delays.

Other than that, these first rankings make sense in general.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am very surprised that Attack on Titan has not been the absolute number one ranked show; season 2 has been amazing so far. I don't want to believe that it has lost too much steam after 4 years of waiting. I would not be terribly shocked if discs sales flop in Japan, but I have for a long time believed that Western fans are more patient and forgiving of long delays.

Other than that, these first rankings make sense in general.

Given the number of votes it gets per week compared to Eccentric Family or Natsume, it would be extremely difficult for it to pull higher number averages. Fewer votes = easier to get more absolute scores.

EDIT: Ran the numbers, and AoT gets literally four or five times the number of votes as Eccentric Family and Natsume, which get about the same number as each other. They all get a large enough number of votes to say that the average for each one is a fair snapshot of how much each show's viewerbase is enjoying the show, which is what the chart measures, but it's definitely harder for the more popular shows to achieve a higher score simply due to the volume of competing votes they get.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've no complaints about the top 5 in the cumulative (or the weekly, for that matter). I'd place Kado above SukaSuka in 6th though. I'm also not surprised to see Natsume take a dip on episode 3, since the animation was so off kilter even I had to knock off half a point for it. It should be back up next week though, since episode 4 was great in all respects.

Kon'Doriano wrote:
I've always considered watching The Eccentric Children since it's written by the author of The Tatami Galaxy, I'll definitely get around to watching it this season.

It's Eccentric Family, and though it's not absolutely necessary, I highly recommend watching the first season before diving into this one. You won't be wasting your time, that's for sure.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:04 pm Reply with quote
@ Gina Szanboti I always make that mistake! Laughing Thanks for the correction and the recommendation. I will watch the first season first.

Last edited by Kon'Doriano on Sun May 07, 2017 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:21 am Reply with quote
You've probably tucked Eccentric Family away in your brain with Fantastic Children where they merged into one eccentrically fantastic family of children!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1