• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: German Tech Blog Imagines PlayStation Vita Successor

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh man I would love this so much! It would be awesome to play the Playstation 4's library on the go. Sadly, as one of the few Vita lovers here in the west, I don't think the possibility of another Playstation handheld as very likely Sad
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Honestly that's just laughable. I would have even more reasons to make fun of Sony if they tried to do a hybrid console xP
Running Wild

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
No thanks, I already think the JoyCon controller is awful as it is.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Sony does what Nintendid a few years earlier.
Northlander

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Except they didn't.

Edit: Oh, wait, you're (probably) referring to that motion controller they did. Yeah, that was a great idea, wasn't it? Rolling Eyes
Mikasa_su_casa

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I doubt there's going to a be a Vita successor, what with mobile game competition.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Except they didn't.

Edit: Oh, wait, you're (probably) referring to that motion controller they did. Yeah, that was a great idea, wasn't it? Rolling Eyes

Motion controls has to be done right, just like any other piece of hardware. That is, it needs to have a good software library behind it that can persuade people that it's a good idea. If the traditional game controller as we know it was as flooded with shovelware as the motion controls wound up (especially on the Wii), we'd still be playing with big knobby joysticks and a few push-buttons and people would've dismissed the handheld controller with the small D-Pad and small buttons as a fad. Well on games besides fighting games anyway.

In other words, any hardware innovation that lasts in the game business is because there were many good games built around it.

I personally think that with the Move, Sony attempted to stand in the Wii's shadow and didn't really understand why Nintendo was having so much success with it. The Kinect enjoyed some level of success by having games designed with it in mind and had a lot of care and passion, such as Child of Eden. The Move, on the other hand, were either mostly traditional games adapted to the controller or afterthought games seemingly made by reluctant staff. (For instance, the Miis in Wii Sports Resort are adopting the proper pulling stance in archery, whereas the characters in the Move equivalent do not.) The PlayStation Eye had more success due to games like Eye of Judgment, games that went that extra mile to deliver a compelling, memorable experience. Not a lot, but they were there and they were at least fairly popular.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:30 pm Reply with quote
The Vita doesn't need a successor, it needed to have its issues fixed. Over-priced memory cards limited people's abilities to acquire games...

The Vita TV had weird a weird blacklist that was pointless as many games that were blacklisted used no touch controls....

Making you purchase 2 copies to have multi-plat compatibility to cross-save on quite a few games.

The Vita, I feel, is a good little handheld console that was under appreciated by the company that developed it and thus is not cared for any longer in the United States because there is such a low market for mobile gaming consoles for that style console.

There are still loads of games coming out for the console; it still has quite a life of its own still to live, but its Sony that has abandoned it, not developers.

Still though, I feel the memory card price is one of the biggest killers of the Vita....especially considering most the games are now only released on PSN and not physically.

They should have done like the PSP and used normal obtainable media.
otagirl

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:17 am Reply with quote
The vita is a brilliant handheld. A big problem was the lack of advertising campaign and the niche library of games.

FPS dudebros and other mainstream game lovers are not hardcore enough to play on the go. And if they do, they want light hearted well known games, like Pokemon. Or even phone-like sidescrollers and puzzles. Not something like Soul Sacrifice.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:47 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Sony does what Nintendid a few years earlier.

Uh, actually Sony did the switch's gimmick first. All the switch is, is a handheld that you can dock to a tv then play with a controller like a console. The Vita (actually even the PSP) totally does that.

Sony's problem was that they not only half assed it, but they did it in a way not very consumer friendly.
Haysey

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:39 am Reply with quote
The Vita is technically already a Switch, it's just you have to purchase games twice to play them on the go and cross save.

I wish Sony hadn't just abandoned the Vita. I freaking love it, it has a decent amount of fun games (especially if you're into you JRPG's/anime games) I just hope that by the time 3rd party devs stop making games for it the Switch will have made a new home for them, as it's clear Sony are never going to bring out another handheld.
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:51 am Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
Oh man I would love this so much! It would be awesome to play the Playstation 4's library on the go. Sadly, as one of the few Vita lovers here in the west, I don't think the possibility of another Playstation handheld as very likely Sad

I agree, I love my vita also but your right with the poor sales here i dont see sony getting back into the handheld market
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Haysey wrote:
The Vita is technically already a Switch, it's just you have to purchase games twice to play them on the go and cross save.

No, you don't. You just need to plug your Vita into an hdmi cable (just like the switch does), and bam it is on your tv and you can play with a dual shock.
consignia

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No, you don't. You just need to plug your Vita into an hdmi cable (just like the switch does), and bam it is on your tv and you can play with a dual shock.

The Vita doesn't have an HDMI out, nor noes it allow you to connect a Dual Shock to it. You need a separate device, the Vita TV to do that, but that's a completely discreet unit so no seamless handheld to TV play.

The Vita did have a planned TV out, see https://hackinformer.com/2014/03/04/ps-vitas-mystery-port-explained/ but it never materialised. There is also PSP slim models which had a Component cable adapter, but I don't believe it had dual shock compatibility since it didn't bluetooth.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
The Vita doesn't have an HDMI out, nor noes it allow you to connect a Dual Shock to it. You need a separate device, the Vita TV to do that, but that's a completely discreet unit so no seamless handheld to TV play.

The Vita did have a planned TV out, see https://hackinformer.com/2014/03/04/ps-vitas-mystery-port-explained/ but it never materialised. There is also PSP slim models which had a Component cable adapter, but I don't believe it had dual shock compatibility since it didn't bluetooth.

I have component cables for my PSP Go, and I have used a DS3 controller to play MonHun FU on the tv.

You're right on the Vita though. My mistake. The port seemed to be a micro hdmi, but I never tried it. Still, Sony did already do that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1