• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Magical Canan, The Adventures of the Little Prince Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:00 pm Reply with quote
English dub only, huh? That's a little weird of a place like Discotek, though I'd prefer they set out two releases. One with the edited dub and another with the original. I mean, I'm guessing we'd only really buy these for intellectual purposes and nostalgic purposes, since not many people watch 70's anime besides me.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Though there might be more of a market here in Europe as Little Prince often run on TV in many countries here back then, I myself have nostalgic memories of watching it. But yeah, if dub only with excluded episodes, I'll pass...
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
With a "classic" anime that's dubbed it's probably better to go ahead and release "just the English" version since it's chasing a small market already.

Honestly, I don't like it much, either.
There are times I do want to see what aired in Japan but a lot of times people magnify the changes that were made a lot more than what was actually done.

For instance, they released the 1980 Astro Boy TV series on DVD around 12 years ago and there was an episode missing but it was only ONE episode. I would have liked to have had that episode as an extra (it would have clarified points in one episode I had to read about online!) but given the fact that it was already a budget video release AND what was there was at least 95% of the Japanese version I wasn't going to make a federal case about it. They skipped the one episode since it was cut from the English broadcast release and was never properly dubbed into English. The funny thing is ALL the episodes on the release was bilingual, English and Japanese audio! Not the first or last time an episode was cut from a show. NONE of the North American Gundam home video have had all the original Gundam episodes. One episode is always left out because Gundam co-creator Tomino doesn't like it and doesn't think it's essential for the storyline. That just goes to show the Japanese can be funny about censorship issues, too!
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Discotek strikes again!

Magical Canan, really? Talk about unexpected--and obscure!
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Fist of the North Star on SD Blu-ray like Samurai Pizza Cats & Wizard of Oz (on 3 discs this time) and I'm...actually okay with this because Toei Animation has been terrible with their cel-based TV series releases on the format in Japan since with the exception of Ghost Sweeper Mikami (which is also a SD Blu-ray release), they have all been Q-Tec upscales and have looked bad for the most part so Fist getting SD Blu-ray here with the same 2008 DVD remaster is a better option then waiting for another crappy upscale and I'll be looking forward to buying this show a third time. Very Happy
NOGI48

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Will Fist of the North Star have a complete eng dub or just the first 20-ish episodes?
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:31 pm Reply with quote
^It's just the first 36 episodes that Manga Entertainment had dubbed back in the late 90s, same as the DVDs.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I guess they got lucky, and didn't have to pay the estate rights for The Little Prince.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Good to see that we're finally getting True Tears on Blu-Ray in glorious 720i, now that it's been licensed by a third North American company.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:58 am Reply with quote
"Little Prince" book now being in public domain in some European countries that are life+70. But per its Wikipedia entry, it won't be in French PD until at least 1/1/2033. As Saint-Exupéry died while serving in WW2, his heirs were given a French civil code provision that gave copyright there an extra 30 years. Adding on to this Brussels-based Communia, an international alliance promoting the public domain, has a 1/23/15 article called "The Little Prince: almost in the Public Domain". In par. 4, Katarzyna Strycharz mentions that the extension was done so authors get compensated for the hardships of wartime commercial exploitation of their works. The next paragraph mentions that rule interpretation has it entering French PD between 5/1/2033 and 1/1/2045.

As if his heirs don't feel 70 years of post-death exploitation is enough in France and other countries, they have active trademarks on it (US Patent and Trademark Office serial number: 87245525). That means even when it the copyright expires here in the USA on 1/1/1939*, his entitled heirs still have a way to have control over it. News flash to his heirs: a trademark like that acts as a de facto perpetual copyright**. That is actually against the Constitution. Likewise, Congress and SCOTUS doing controversial copyright decisions like extensions or restorations to comply with international copyright treaties should not trump (pun intended) the Constitution. Such decisions are why I am for more SCOTUS impeachments.

*The 1909 Copyright Act gave works foreign and domestic a total of 56 years. Under the 1976 Copyright Act, the span was given an extra 19 years. However, with the 1998 Copyright Term Extension Act (media companies like Disney and even the George Gerswhin Estate), it was boosted to a total of 95 years.

**The Copyright Clause of the Constitution merely says copyright is to have protection for "limited times". Per its Wikipedia article, "perpetual copyright" is copyright without a finite (specified) amount or that is constantly extended. Well, the Berne Convention min. of life+50 (USA is life+70) acts as that. Even though a 95-year span is limited by the letter of the law, the spirit of the law means its perpetual.
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:56 am Reply with quote
Too bad about The Little Prince. Old kids' series are my favourite thing, and I would have paid a lot for a complete set with Japanese, but in this case it's totally understandable why they can't release that.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:23 am Reply with quote
Magical Canan looks a lot like a 90s Anime, surprised that it came out in 05.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1