• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Chargeman Ken Anime Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Yes! Now I don't have to wait for discotek to put any more on its YouTube channel. If only I wasn't behind on simulcasts on account of doing some paperwork, I'd be watching it tonight.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh Arceus, YES! This show man, it's "special"! Discotek also announced the DVD release for this show as October 31st (on their Facebook page a couple days ago), which I will totally be buying!
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Welp, I might actually watch this now. Having heard a few people discuss it, it sounded like trash, and the fact that the description 100% confirms that to be true makes me interested enough to see at least a little of it. Been going through a lot of classic stuff lately, so this should fit the bill.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Welp, I might actually watch this now. Having heard a few people discuss it, it sounded like trash, and the fact that the description 100% confirms that to be true makes me interested enough to see at least a little of it. Been going through a lot of classic stuff lately, so this should fit the bill.

Trash is actually putting it lightly. After watching it, it was apparent why it is considered one of if not the worst of all time. Comparing it to say Hand Shakers, it isn't as visually offputting as Hand Shakers too often is, but at least Hand Shakers showed flashes of talent from the animators behind the over indulgent postprocessing and camera work. The makers of Chargeman Ken evince no such talent, in any aspect. Now the story in Hand Shakers was by no means a strength of the show, but it is Shakespeare compared to Chargeman Ken.

Watching it really drove home both why it was featured in Mike Toole's panel, and why one would make such a panel in the first place (not that I doubted it before). It raises one's standards for badness.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:00 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Trash is actually putting it lightly. After watching it, it was apparent why it is considered one of if not the worst of all time. Comparing it to say Hand Shakers, it isn't as visually offputting as Hand Shakers too often is, but at least Hand Shakers showed flashes of talent from the animators behind the over indulgent postprocessing and camera work. The makers of Chargeman Ken evince no such talent, in any aspect. Now the story in Hand Shakers was by no means a strength of the show, but it is Shakespeare compared to Chargeman Ken.

Watching it really drove home both why it was featured in Mike Toole's panel, and why one would make such a panel in the first place (not that I doubted it before). It raises one's standards for badness.

As an MST3K fan and someone who ran a "bad movie night" for years, you have my attention! I've heard of this show, but just barely. Is it Ed Wood (the real man) level bad? If so, I might want it on DVD just for the laughs.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Chargeman Ken is the greatest work of animation ever produced, rendering all that came before it obsolete and all that came after superfluous. Hayao Miyazaki only made cartoons because he hadn't heard of it until 2013, which is the real reason that he retired.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1