• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chihayafuru English Dub Stars Luci Christian, Adam Gibbs, Blake Shepard

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Is Natalie Rial related to Monica?
Arsenette

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to cry if they dubbed the poems... Please God don't dub the poems.. Embarassed
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Is Natalie Rial related to Monica?

twitter.com/rialisms/status/396448214280196096: Monica's younger sister.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
The voices for the two male leads sound good. Luci Christian is certainly one of the best English voice actors, but I think Sentai is casting her in too many shows. I am sure she will do a solid job voicing Chihaya, but Sentai has other talented voice actors like Jessica Boone and Maggie Flecknoe.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I think I guessed Luci Christian was gonna star in this when it was first announced.

Many people playing many characters. Sentai seems to like doing that.
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
The voices for the two male leads sound good. Luci Christian is certainly one of the best English voice actors, but I think Sentai is casting her in too many shows. I am sure she will do a solid job voicing Chihaya, but Sentai has other talented voice actors like Jessica Boone and Maggie Flecknoe.
not even sure if Jessica Boone is always available though, she didn't reprise her role as Haqua in TWGOK season 3 but she voiced Shelle in Akame which was dubbed after.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Judging from the clip, Luci Christian's Chihaya & Blake Shepard's Arata sound like pretty spot-on approximations of the characters. I'm less impressed by Adam Gibbs's Taichi though. I don't know, there's something about the way he whines that sounds more in line with a dumb jock stereotype, rather than the well-bred and slightly cocky/smug persona Taichi normally presents. Hopefully other more restained scenes are handled a little better
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Arsenette wrote:
I'm going to cry if they dubbed the poems... Please God don't dub the poems.. Embarassed
I really wish Sentai would at least announce how they're dealing with the poetry in both dub and subtitles for their English version. If an announcement has been made in that regard, I may have overlooked it. Maybe the bonus cards in the box set are clues? Spoiler for image link:spoiler[https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1153/3888/products/SFC-CHF100-karutas.jpg]

While I think it is great that the US is now getting this great story in translation I also want to add that I think that particular scene in the YouTube video is an odd one to pick as the first introduction to Sentai's take on the series.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:54 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
not even sure if Jessica Boone is always available though, she didn't reprise her role as Haqua in TWGOK season 3 but she voiced Shelle in Akame which was dubbed after.

Her primary career is in theater these days, and my understanding is that she mostly lives in Europe and only comes back to Texas every so often. That's why it's generally a pleasant surprise to me whenever I see her in a new dub role again.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:21 am Reply with quote
Oh hells yeah, Kira Vincent-Davis as Shinobu. That'll be fun to hear Very Happy
corinthian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
[quote="#Verso.Sciolto"]
Arsenette wrote:
I really wish Sentai would at least announce how they're dealing with the poetry in both dub and subtitles for their English version. If an announcement has been made in that regard, I may have overlooked it. Maybe the bonus cards in the box set are clues? Spoiler for image link:spoiler[https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1153/3888/products/SFC-CHF100-karutas.jpg]

My deluxe box set arrived yesterday, even though it technically isn't supposed to be out for about a month. All of the poems are in Japanese. I'm about 8 episodes in and so far they have kept the original Japanese audio for the readings they play on the CD player, and I think in a few matches too. In instances where a main character does the readings they have the English VAs do the readings, which are actually pretty spot-on. This is one of the "we put some effort into it" Sentai dubs.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:24 am Reply with quote
corinthian wrote:
My deluxe box set arrived yesterday, even though it technically isn't supposed to be out for about a month. All of the poems are in Japanese. I'm about 8 episodes in and so far they have kept the original Japanese audio for the readings they play on the CD player, and I think in a few matches too. In instances where a main character does the readings they have the English VAs do the readings, which are actually pretty spot-on. This is one of the "we put some effort into it" Sentai dubs.
I have no idea how I missed your reply in this thread. That is a very nice reassurance. Also an incredible service that Sentai delivered your box set so far ahead of schedule too.

Someone else wrote more recently that on-screen captions have been provided with romaji transcription of the poem being read in Japanese so ... my main concerns expressed in idle speculation were pretty much unwarranted regarding the approach to the poetry in Sentai's release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1