• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Little Witch Academia

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Nice to hear that LWA has done well from what you guys can tell, in contradiction of the sentiment of "LWA did worse because it was on Netflix. It just had to have done worse!" that is common among those who keep up with currently airing anime. Whatever one thinks about Netflix's streaming practices, I'm glad it has done well, as far as you can tell. While it isn't my favorite Trigger show, I thought it was a great show nonetheless. My favorite episode was probably the Sucy episode for both the look into her head and also being the most Imaishi episode of the series, not to mention some very nicely animated sequences (the oldschool cartoon movie about Akko and Sucy was my favorite of those).

I think the more tactful way of calling what Jake termed "sloppy" (without derogatory intent) is a loose animation style, which definitely is on display on occasion on the show.

I will again agree with Jake that hearing him rant for an extended period about Monogatari is not for the best. I can't emphasize this enough.

Also, I had planned on checking out the first episode of Neo Yokio, but now I have to see it if Zac is describing it like that.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Good episode. Glad to see you guys liked the show.

Far as the whole "Did Netflix really 'hurt' LWA?" discussion goes, I agree that hardcore anime fandom kind of has a tendency to over emphasize the importance of seasonal anime discussion in correlation to popularity and the show seems to be doing fine regardless, but it's just as true that a fair amount of folks just decided to go ahead and pirate it. When I went to a LWA/Trigger panel at AnimeNEXT a few months ago before the show hit Netflix the LWA staff straight up asked how many people were pirating the show and practically the entire room raised their hands (Thankfully they didn't seem too fazed one way or the other by this)

For my end though I waited for the Netflix release, and went with the dub, and the show turned out to be a very enjoyable experience. None of it's themes really resonated with my directly but it was entertaining the whole way through and felt a lot like watching a good Saturday morning cartoon. In that respect I'm really glad Trigger went the family-friendly route with this because it's rare to get these kinds of anime without having them being toy franchise or magical girl related (and the latter doesn't have much pull in the west) and I feel comfortable recommending it to anyone with kids. It's a heck of a good time.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear traffic for Little Witch Academia has been doing well. I think at the end of the day, if I am asked Netflix vs Amazon, I would go with Netflix. The discussion around a Netflix-licensed show might be a bit light within the anime fandom until it actually comes out, but after the fact, it is more readily available to a wider audience, and Netflix does make more of an apparent effort with their titles through marketing, localization, producing, etc...

Also, I remember watching Princess Tutu with two girls I used to nanny for part-time during college summer-break per Jacob's recommendation years ago, and both of them absolutely loved it (the only other anime they had seen at that point was probably Kiki's Delivery Service and maybe some daytime tv kids shows).
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to say which half of LWA I prefer. The shift in tone was noticeable enough to make me ask myself that question, but I wasn't able to answer it. Overall, it was a fun show, and I liked Ako. I will say that I'm bummed that the other characters didn't get more development, especially since Sucy was my favorite, but not to the point where it severely detracted from my enjoyment.

Also, the game seems like it has a good chance to be fun.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Coming into the Little Witch Academia tv series I had some high expectations after watching the OVA's, but I was disappointed that it turned out to be a family friendly show. I definitely prefer the edgier attitude of the OVA's. I need more sexualization and the occasional panty shot in my anime. That being said, LWA is a well done show and is the kind of show Netflix should invest on.

I agree that being on Netflix is in general beneficial for anime, but I still plan to pirate Violet Evergarden because I don't agree with Netflix going after otaku-oriented anime.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Your interpretation of LWA is interesting. I had never actually thought of it on the scale of studios, but rather that the characters, especially Akko, were representing actual people. I kind of saw Yoh Yoshinari as Akko... I don't know, I don't really feel like he would ever try to speak for the entire studio. His work always seemed a little more personal, and his personality is a total 180 from Imaishi. I don't think it changes much regardless though, the themes are more or less the same and I think both interpretations work reasonably well.

zrnzle500 wrote:

I think the more tactful way of calling what Jake termed "sloppy" (without derogatory intent) is a loose animation style, which definitely is on display on occasion on the show.

Yeah, the terms you want are loose and expressive, primarily. Distortion, smears, and squash & stretch are other useful ones.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:20 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Coming into the Little Witch Academia tv series I had some high expectations after watching the OVA's, but I was disappointed that it turned out to be a family friendly show. I definitely prefer the edgier attitude of the OVA's. I need more sexualization and the occasional panty shot in my anime. That being said, LWA is a well done show and is the kind of show Netflix should invest on.

I didn't notice that big difference in attitude between the short films (what you call OVA's) and the TV series. In fact, to me the TV show feels exactly like the first movie's plot has been expanded out through 10 hours.

Quote:
I agree that being on Netflix is in general beneficial for anime, but I still plan to pirate Violet Evergarden because I don't agree with Netflix going after otaku-oriented anime.

What is "otaku oriented anime"?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
navycherub

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:50 am Reply with quote
*quietly enjoys Kiznaiver in the corner*
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:33 am Reply with quote
LWA does have a special little place among fans. Yeah, even those of us who don't really like can't hate it. I mean, yeah, I don't care for it personally, but it's a nice show. I think the main difference is that you hear people who don't like GL or KlK saying "I don't like that show, it's shit!" while people who don't lile LWA just say "I don't like that show." I think it's because of the genre. GL and KlK are like the main event WWE wrestlers. Big bad tough guys, while LWA is like one of those opening acts in wrestling. It's not that special but it feels like a real dick move to say mean things about it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:08 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
What is "otaku oriented anime"?

Anime that typically airs late at night in Japan that is more sexualized and has the tropes and fetishes that otaku enjoy (e.g. Cross Ange). In other words anime that is not for little children.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:36 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
In other words anime that is not for little children.

That's wrong. There are plenty of anime not for little children that are not otaku-anime. Monster, Uchoten Kazoku, Tatami Galaxy just off the top of my head.

Otaku-anime is considered anime that will get otaku to buy discs and merch. Huge part of that IS anime with sexual themes but can also mean mecha, SOL, etc.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I really liked all of Little Witch Academia and didn't feel like there was a quality drop-off in the second half.

"Don't get your kids into Trigger"...I dunno, I don't feel like Space Patrol Luluco or When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace are bad for older kids. Kill la Kill...yeah, that's probably pushing it a bit too much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

That's wrong. There are plenty of anime not for little children that are not otaku-anime. Monster, Uchoten Kazoku, Tatami Galaxy just off the top of my head.

You are right. I was over generalizing. I would categorize the shows you mention as adult and artsy/prestige.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know they weren't going for a magical girl story with LWA, so it's interesting that they'd blatantly state otherwise. I mean, just having Akko Kagari named after Akko Kagami from Himitsu no Akko-chan seemed pretty apparent to me they were tipping a hat to old majokko anime.

I mean it definitely takes more western influences, but I think since the 1st magical girl anime were based on witches, I always count witch anime as magical girl anime by default. (maybe that's just me though & Japanese fans don't feel that way)

Anyway, good discussion as always!!
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

You are right. I was over generalizing. I would categorize the shows you mention as adult and artsy/prestige.

I would call all but Monster there "Otaku-oriented". Otaku don't come in one flavor. Tatami Galaxy, especially, appeals to a lot of the same crowd as Monogatari. It is an exceptionally eccentric and artsy show with inaccessible direction and animation that would only appeal to someone who is into that kind of weird thing. Usually animation and art otaku, a lot of the sakuga fandom. I agree with the premise that there are many not-for-children shows that are much more mainstream oriented though, like Black Lagoon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2