• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece Manga Has 430 Million Copies in Print Worldwide

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HueyLion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:01 am Reply with quote
Making us proud Oda!
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
Hey, that's pretty good!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote
Kind of a weird number to celebrate with though. It's pretty certain One Piece will reach 500 million. Wouldn't that be a better number to use?
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Kind of a weird number to celebrate with though. It's pretty certain One Piece will reach 500 million. Wouldn't that be a better number to use?

It could take 5-10 years before those numbers are reached.
GainaxFanboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:53 am Reply with quote
Can't wait or the live action!/s
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Shipped is not sold but these will sell of course. Meaning that OP will soon overtake Batman´s 460 mil copies solid record and will then only be overshadowed by Superman´s 600+ mil copies sold.
It would be nice if the manga had been worth reading since the time jump but oh well. The first part of the fake marriage arc was alright, i guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Well, if you do the math in the article, One Piece sold 110 million more copies in the roughly 3 years between when the Guinness record was set and now, so I don't think it's going to take that long to sell 70 million more.
Josl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

430 Million divided by 86 Volumes is exactly 5 million copies per Volume. Basically on average One Piece has printed 5 million copies of every Volume worldwide.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Josl wrote:
430 Million divided by 86 Volumes is exactly 5 million copies per Volume. Basically on average One Piece has printed 5 million copies of every Volume worldwide.

Ah, that's an important detail. "One Piece now averages 5 million copies per volume" would indicate to me not only how well it's selling but how many people are following it regularly, and it suggests an overall growth in its sales in proportion to its length too.
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Do the math. in april it had 416 millions copies in print. six month later, there is 14 million more. At that rate, it's gonna reach that cap in two and and half year. But I have the feeling wano could be another Marineford in term of popularity, so they could reach that a lot faster. In 2010, during that arc, they sold 60 millions copies in Japan.
joe_g7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's pretty amazing.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:47 am Reply with quote
Counting superhero comics (all series for said superhero), the only comics that have outsold OP is Superman and Batman. Sadly, OP has outsold Spider-Man.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Counting superhero comics (all series for said superhero), the only comics that have outsold OP is Superman and Batman. Sadly, OP has outsold Spider-Man.

In a few years at the rate One Piece is going it will easily surpass Batman taking the number 2 slot. Sadly it most likely wont make it past Superman since it would probably need to run well over 10 more years to surpass 600 million.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to Oda. 450 milliion is coming next year.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:22 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

Actually if you measure by number of pages of comics printed there are hundreds of manga that outsold Superman and Batman.

The 430 million tankobouns have roughly the same number of pages as 3.8 billion comic books plus the pages of Shounen Jump where it was printed. During its run over the last 20 years Shounen Jump weekly circulation averaged 3.5 million so that's about 175 million chapters of OP printed per year for 3.5 billion chapters of OP since a manga chapter is about the length of a comic book, One Piece has the equivalent of 7.3 billion comic books in print, well over 10 times Superman.

Actually Dragon Ball might have outsold One Piece in number of pages printed taking into account it was published when Shounen Jump weekly circulation was 5-6 million. Although One Piece has already ran twice the time as Dragon Ball so maybe not. But DB has in number of pages printed the equivalent of about 4.5 billion US comic books, considering it's total sales of 250 million tankobouns.

The scale of the Japanese comic market is tremendously larger than any other in human history. For isntance, let's compare it to the North American one. For instance, each Shounen Jump has 430 pages of comics, hence it's equivalent to about 19 US comic books and it's circulation was 300 million in 1995, hence Shounen Jump was equivalent to about 6 billion US comic books while the entire North American comic book market was 110 million comic books in the 90s less than 2% of the number of printed pages of a single manga publication. In France, the largest market in Europe, comic book sales were 40 million but they are a bit longer than US comics so they would be equivalent to about 60-70 million US comics or 1% of Shounen Jump's peak circulation volume. Even the peak North American market in the golden age of comics in 1953 comic book sales were 17% of the level of Shounen Jump magazine alone in 1995. And in 1995 Shounen Jump's sales were only 12% of total manga magazine and book sales in Japan.

I hope these facts will help to put things into perspective when comparing manga sales with western comic books: the difference is in multiple orders of magnitude. I estimate that the average Japanese buys about 500 times the number of pages of comics that the average Westerner buys.

It would be interesting to know the data on Chinese and Korean comic sales even though now in the age of weebtons most comic reading is done through smarthphones, tablets and computers, hence the main reason why I used 90s sales data for North America, France and Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2