• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Manga Creator Masashi Kishimoto Teases New Work in 2018

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shinuki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:40 am Reply with quote
A better and bigger version of the picture: http://i.imgur.com/crKbL6s.jpg

Looks really interesting, and you can really se that is his work, has the feeling, can't wait to read, will be very cool if published in WSJ Cool
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:17 am Reply with quote
So is he finally doing Mario?
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:12 am Reply with quote
Okay, guess this is the Space Ninjas story he was working on.

Well, we will have to see. But honestly, I'm not excited. Kishi's writing has gotten sloppy and full of cliches in the last couple of years.
LegitSnivy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:23 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:

Well, we will have to see. But honestly, I'm not excited. Kishi's writing has gotten sloppy and full of cliches in the last couple of years.

Cut him a break, it's not like he hasn't had over 3 years to think up concepts, and he was working on Naruto for a long period of time.
It's not like he just automatically starts out not knowing how to set up characters, or a world. I think a lot of that just has to do with the pressure of Shonen Jump telling him to keep going, or his editors more than his actual skills as a writer.

I have enough faith in his writing on his own to at least form up something to start with. I honestly never thought Naruto was that bad.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:48 am Reply with quote
I see a sword. That says it all.

Beatdigga wrote:

We are of the same mind.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:53 am Reply with quote
LegitSnivy wrote:
Cut him a break, it's not like he hasn't had over 3 years to think up concepts, and he was working on Naruto for a long period of time.
It's not like he just automatically starts out not knowing how to set up characters, or a world. I think a lot of that just has to do with the pressure of Shonen Jump telling him to keep going, or his editors more than his actual skills as a writer.

I have enough faith in his writing on his own to at least form up something to start with. I honestly never thought Naruto was that bad.

Sorry, but that's an excuse. He said it himself he came up with tons of ideas when he was writing Naruto. Even before the end of the Naruto manga he published a couple of one-shots. So he is very much capable of thinking-on-the-go.

The question is if his new story is good enough to get serialized. And that is something we have to wait and see.
younesase

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:57 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:

WTF ? he wasn't even writing anything this last couple of years, what are you talking about ?
The guy is tbh not bad a writing, Naruto could've been way way better if in the shippuden part Shueisha and Jump were given him time and some breaks and not stressing the hell out of him. It's like what happened to Togashi in Yu Yu hakusho, the guy was just so stressed and had a lot of pressure put on him that he just rushed the ending, and it seems Shonen Jump gave him some freedom with Hunter X Hunter and you can see that in his writing and how the story is just getting so much better than anything in Shonen Jump nowadays. I hope they do the same with Kishimoto.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:31 am Reply with quote
Naruto's ending wasn't really rushed. The final battle between the two characters was something Kishimoto had been planning ever since the series began (while also hoping it would become popular). Heck, Sasuke's last name is an obvious sign he would become Naruto's enemy (uchiwas fans are said to attack foxes in Japanese myths if I recall well)

As a result, as soon as Naruto ended, Shueisha asked Kishimoto to write another Naruto series but the author refused. He instead preferred his former assistant Ikemoto and Boruto writer Kodachi write the sequel
LegitSnivy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
LegitSnivy wrote:

Sorry, but that's an excuse. He said it himself he came up with tons of ideas when he was writing Naruto. Even before the end of the Naruto manga he published a couple of one-shots. So he is very much capable of thinking-on-the-go.

The question is if his new story is good enough to get serialized. And that is something we have to wait and see.

Nobody is saying he's not capable of thinking on the go, but I'm just saying his story wasn't so badly written that he's not capable of at least making a compelling story on it's own. I do genuinely believe in the right circumstances, he can make a good manga. I just think Naruto went on a little longer than it should have.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

He already did Mario as a one shot in Jump SQ.

He's been talking about doing a sci-fi series since Naruto ended. If you look at these boards, you can see a humanoid cat on the top right, and the top left seems to have a futuristic gun of some sort.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Kishimoto is writing again Rolling Eyes Laughing
Eddy564

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I’m pretty excited. In its prime Naruto was a wonderful series so I know Kishimoto can pump out quality work.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:54 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Naruto's ending wasn't really rushed. The final battle between the two characters was something Kishimoto had been planning ever since the series began (while also hoping it would become popular).

Depends on which part of the ending you are talking about. I think the NaruHina becoming canon may have been rushed to promote the then new film. Also, that shipping was truly thought of years in advance, Kishi would have done better by developing that ship more before ch. 700.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1