• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hakyū Hoshin Engi Anime Reveals New Key Visual

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:41 am Reply with quote
Man that's a prettý weak key visual. A weak visual is always a bad sign imo.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Man that's a prettý weak key visual. A weak visual is always a bad sign imo.

No kidding. It looks like they just took the existing character publicity art and stuck them awkwardly together in front of some background artwork. When your key visual is a hasty copy-paste job that doesn't bode well for the state of the production.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I disagree. I think the key visual's just okay.
It still goes along with how the manga looked.
Nodz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
23 episodes (for 204 manga chapters), a characters who appears in chapter 107 already present... It doesn't really look good for this adaptation. Even the 1999 version had 26 episodes!
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm more disappointed by the absence of a NA streaming partner for this show. Are we gonna have to resort to the old school way of watching Houshin Engi, with fan subbed VHS tapes? Anime hyper;;
Cave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I think the visual looks pretty cool. I especially love the backgrounds they've shown so far which have looked exactly like the original manga. It is pretty basic though, but nothing looks wonky or anything. The most out of place thing is Chuuou on the Kunlun side since... well, he's not really from Kunlun. If I remember correctly, he's just a normal human.

As for Outenkun, it is strange that he's there. I'm wondering what they're going to do with him exactly. I can't imagine him having any big role unless they go past the Taikoubou vs Ko Kibi battle which would be impossible in 24 episodes.

I'm hoping that this will just go through a chunk of the story and then it gets a second season some time later. Pretty wishful thinking, but I'm still in disbelief this manga has gotten a reboot. It's been a long time favorite of mine.

I'm really hoping for Crunchyroll to pick it up since way back when I was only able to watch the Chinese bootlegs with terrible subs. lol
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:29 pm Reply with quote
While I'm still quite confused as to why this was greenlighted, I'm happy it's happening it all since I remember the old series being decent. It does worry me that it's only 23 episodes for a manga that has 23 volumes...any manga readers that can confirm if there is "skippable stuff" that would allow for the pacing of this new series to not suck?
Cave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:37 pm Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:
While I'm still quite confused as to why this was greenlighted, I'm happy it's happening it all since I remember the old series being decent. It does worry me that it's only 23 episodes for a manga that has 23 volumes...any manga readers that can confirm if there is "skippable stuff" that would allow for the pacing of this new series to not suck?

I do think it's possible, but it would certainly be less exciting since they would have to take out some large battles, such as the Shisei (which was in the original anime). I don't think the manga has much "filler" besides some things that happen with the side characters. I highly doubt that this is going to go past the Ko Kibi battle I mentioned in my last post which is a huge turning point in the story.

The original anime covered much less of the manga, had some filler, and then completely diverged for the ending. The manga has a much different, much better ending and would take a number of episodes to get through.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Cave wrote:
ryanvamp wrote:

I do think it's possible, but it would certainly be less exciting since they would have to take out some large battles, such as the Shisei (which was in the original anime). I don't think the manga has much "filler" besides some things that happen with the side characters. I highly doubt that this is going to go past the Ko Kibi battle I mentioned in my last post which is a huge turning point in the story.

The original anime covered much less of the manga, had some filler, and then completely diverged for the ending. The manga has a much different, much better ending and would take a number of episodes to get through.

Thanks for your time! Pretty useful information. I'll be sure to watch a couple of episodes and then come back to the sure to exist thread regarding episode reviews to see if people like you who had read it are liking it or not. Hopefully it's not very rushed.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Visual might look weak, but So Dakki still looks So Finne.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1