• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Licenses Persona 5 Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anton.barbieri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:53 am Reply with quote
No dub, no buy!

Wanted the P3 films... No dub so no buy.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:09 am Reply with quote
anton.barbieri wrote:
No dub, no buy!

Mirroring this sentiment. I love the Persona series, but I skipped buying both P4GA and the P3 films due to a lack of dub.
ecchigas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:14 am Reply with quote
no dub, instant buy for me! Smile
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:15 am Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
anton.barbieri wrote:
No dub, no buy!

Mirroring this sentiment. I love the Persona series, but I skipped buying both P4GA and the P3 films due to a lack of dub.

As a dub defender, I'm disappointed, but not enough to drop this series. Besides, as long as it's posted on a legal streaming site (negating any reason to pay for Aniplex's overpriced DVDs), I doubt the weeaboos will lose sleep over this.
Nyren

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:16 am Reply with quote
I don't really mind subs, though admittedly I would much prefer this get a dub. That being said, it'll just as outrageously priced as any other Aniplex release and as a result I just won't be buying it due to not wanting to spend a small fortune for a TV series.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:22 am Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:

I feel for you guys on Persona 3 (especially after that Henry Goto interview regarding the matter) but that wouldn't have saved Persona 4 Golden from being the trash adaptation that it was.
Nyren

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:31 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
SaiyamanMS wrote:

I feel for you guys on Persona 3 (especially after that Henry Goto interview regarding the matter) but that wouldn't have saved Persona 4 Golden from being the trash adaptation that it was.
I'd never seen that interview before, but the gist of it seems to be that if a title sells well without a dub, they see no reason to spend more money and dub it. In other words, they're being penny pinchers. That goes hand in hand with their stance that streaming is for those with little money, and the home video releases are for collectors. They see no reason to try and market the Persona 3 films to a larger audience, something a dub is typically needed for, and as a result, it remains sub-only. The only time they may consider a dub after they've done a sub-only release, is if they decide a second run with a dub will yield even more sales.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:15 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
As a dub defender, I'm disappointed, but not enough to drop this series. Besides, as long as it's posted on a legal streaming site (negating any reason to pay for Aniplex's overpriced DVDs), I doubt the weeaboos will lose sleep over this.

Yeah, I'll watch the simulcast, I watched Persona 4 Golden online, but I'm not shelling out for a sub-only home release. Especially not at Aniplex prices.

NJ_ wrote:

P4G was trash in terms of being a coherent series, but there were a few good standalone episodes though to act as a decent supplement to the original P4 anime. The Adachi episode was good, as was the Christmas episode.
Rosiero

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:46 am Reply with quote
A lot of characters in the Japanese game were miscast IMO, so I really don't care to watch this subbed.
phantom360

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:22 am Reply with quote
What a shame no dub and it's going to cost an arm and a leg.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:35 am Reply with quote
Because this is Aniplex this series will end up costing more than the games collector's edition. Unfortunately a pass for me. If it's on CR I'll 100% watch it.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:02 am Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
anton.barbieri wrote:
No dub, no buy!

I find it ironic that when the Persona 5 game was released, the fan crusade was "English only? If it doesn't contain the original Japanese soundtrack, I'm not buying!" Confused
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:26 am Reply with quote
j Talbain wrote:
Because this is Aniplex this series will end up costing more than the games collector's edition.

Just what I was thinking! I already spent so damn much money just to play the game itself (I got the collector's edition, $90, and then my PS4 bricked not even 6 hours in. I arranged to have the PS4 sent back to Sony, but I wouldn't get it back for at least two weeks, so I went out and bought the game again on PS3, $50 more, but the cheapest option at the time, because two weeks later, my friends would all be spouting spoilers! The silver lining though: I could lend the PS3 copy to my friend without a PS4 when I was done so we could both talk about the game after!)

Pretty sad that, even after spending ~$150 (after tax) for this one game (most I think I've spent on a single game ever), Aniplex's price is STILL sure to cost more for the whole series in the long run, that seems pretty messed up. And unlike Funimation, who later released a cheaper version of Danganronpa (and I'm waiting for the same for Danganronpa 3) or Sentai, who released a cheaper Persona 4 down the line (also, they have some outrageously good sales throughout the year), you know that Aniplex just won't ever. Even an eBay price scalped collector's edition of the game is going to be cheaper than Aniplex's inevitable release.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:40 am Reply with quote
That kinda sucks. I was hoping the anime would be dubbed, but since its not I'll just have to pass on it. Even though P4G ran at the pace of someone playing on New Game+ and skipping a lot of stuff, I would have thought of buying it if it was dubbed. Same with the P3 movies.

Quote:
Because this is Aniplex this series will end up costing more than the games collector's edition.

Too true unfortunately.
BigService

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:55 am Reply with quote
Am I reading the same article as you guys? Where does it say they definitely won't dub it? Persona 3 movies, I kinda get why they didn't dub it because it was just a movie series of an older Persona game and as we all know P4G was pretty bad but Persona 5 has been a bit of a mega hit. I mean for a JRPG it sure as hell was in the public eye a lot more and there's probably more demand for this to get a dub than the others. Plus look at it this way: If God Eater can get a dub then there's at least a little hope for this to get a dub. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2