• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Figure Skating Pair Kihara & Suzaki's Yuri on Ice Olympic Performance Awes Fans

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morgan B.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:01 pm Reply with quote
It’s what they deserve. Smile
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Every time I think about how Sayo Yamamoto spent years pitching the idea of Yuri on Ice to different studios and kept getting turned down because they didn't think what she wanted to do -a love letter to the sport of figure skating- would be successful, and how she's now seeing a piece of her creation being brought to the Olympic stage, the highest most grandiose event any figure skater could aspire to, I feel like crying uncontrollably.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:47 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Every time I think about how Sayo Yamamoto spent years pitching the idea of Yuri on Ice to different studios and kept getting turned down because they didn't think what she wanted to do -a love letter to the sport of figure skating- would be successful, and how she's now seeing a piece of her creation being brought to the Olympic stage, the highest most grandiose event any figure skater could aspire to, I feel like crying uncontrollably.

Same.

This was so beautiful! It's really nice to see how this show is being recognized and loved by RL figure skaters.
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:42 pm Reply with quote
If this was "stunning" what were the 7 teams above them and the Canadian and American ones (since they rank higher) like. As far as I could see they made quite a few mistakes and would not call something that finished 8th stunning.
Morgan B.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:20 pm Reply with quote
switchgear1131 wrote:
If this was "stunning" what were the 7 teams above them and the Canadian and American ones (since they rank higher) like. As far as I could see they made quite a few mistakes and would not call something that finished 8th stunning.

Shhhhhhhhhh, let people enjoy this. Scores ain’t gotta matter right now, save it for the rest of the month, why don’t ya? Wink
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:09 pm Reply with quote
switchgear1131 wrote:

You must have a poor appreciation of the sport if your only metric to judge is the ranking of the skaters. There are stunning skaters that are beloved by the public and never reach the top 10. Ryuichi and Miu did a beautiful performance, the program itself is lovely and the elements are very well coordinated with the music -I'm particularly fond of how the entry into de death spiral matches with the music's final climax-, their sbs triple lutz has improved immensely this season and they looked like they enjoyed skating every minute of it, it was a beautiful performance.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:48 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty awesome!
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

YES. I was so excited when the notes first played when watching the Olympics last night. Their program was beautiful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:21 pm Reply with quote
The song choice doesn't surprise me anymore. The visual presentation is stunning as always, Im sure many skating and YOI fans enjoyed the beautiful performance. Sayo and Kubo must be so proud rn Yoi is a history maker indeed.
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Sadly the video has been blocked for copyrights. Confused But I'm sure it was amazing.

CrowLia wrote:

So well-said! I've loved every anime Sayo Yamamoto has directed so far, and I'm so happy to see her finally getting the recognition she's always deserved.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:50 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know if/when this can be viewed in the US? NBC is still all about the Opening Ceremonies (with such patronizing commentary I can't bear to watch it). I've tried looking through schedules, but it's all way too complicated for my pea-brain to decipher. :/ And they're totally focused on American athletes or 1-3 finishers for events that have already happened, and while the IOC has quashed the other performances, they haven't made them available on their own sites as far as I can tell. It's like if you're not in reach of a medal, the IOC wants to erase that you were even there.

Speaking of Yamamoto, I wish someone would skate a routine to Endless Night. I love that song so much, and it obviously works well with skating!
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:08 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Does anyone know if/when this can be viewed in the US? NBC is still all about the Opening Ceremonies (with such patronizing commentary I can't bear to watch it). I've tried looking through schedules, but it's all way too complicated for my pea-brain to decipher.

It already aired this past Thursday.
Songster01

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:25 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Does anyone know if/when this can be viewed in the US? NBC is still all about the Opening Ceremonies (with such patronizing commentary I can't bear to watch it). I've tried looking through schedules, but it's all way too complicated for my pea-brain to decipher. :/ And they're totally focused on American athletes or 1-3 finishers for events that have already happened, and while the IOC has quashed the other performances, they haven't made them available on their own sites as far as I can tell. It's like if you're not in reach of a medal, the IOC wants to erase that you were even there.

Speaking of Yamamoto, I wish someone would skate a routine to Endless Night. I love that song so much, and it obviously works well with skating!

If you're wanting watch specific individual performances, many are put up on Youtube pretty quickly and there are usually a variety of commentators represented. I found that this invaluable blog helpful in finding channels that routinely put up videos" http://soyouwanttowatchfs.tumblr.com/post/170505130465/2018-winter-olympics-info-streaming There are also links for the NBC streams that shouldn't cut out many skaters like the formal broadcast has done, but I haven't tried them myself.

Otherwise, I can say that CBC's formal broadcast was better, in that it showed everyone (all of the men for sure; I've heard all the pairs were also shown but I went to bed so cannot yet confirm). There are VPNs if you want to try CBC; people using a VPN alone were able to watch without needing to sign in to a local station.

Here's the schedule for upcoming events on CBC: https://olympics.cbc.ca/video/todays-events/#s=fs If you end up using it you can also catch past broadcasts, such as the event mentioned in the article.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:29 pm Reply with quote
And now the US ski-team are sponsored by Marvel and wearing Captain American/Marvel outfits.

Evidently, the Olympics are a commercial for companies.

-Stuart Smith
supersqueak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the song suited their routine though. I think its better suited to one skater eros or agape or History Maker would have been better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2