• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cutie Honey Universe Anime Casts Yui Horie, Shintarō Asanuma

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:49 am Reply with quote
Nice cast additions. Can't wait to watch this. Of course, I'll wait for the BD's because I have faith in this.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:49 am Reply with quote
$10 there's a plot twist that Natsuko is also Cutie Honey! Surprised
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:58 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

She'd better be. One way or another I want Horie Yui as (a) Cutey Honey.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:41 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Wouldn´t that be kind of too obvious?

Anyway, I really like how they perfectly combine old school and today anime style, so to speak.

Also, I little bit ago, I found there was Misty Honey in one of previous Cutey Honey titles.

That being said, I really should start Nagai marathon of everything available with english subtitles, and watch it in order of release.
StarFan13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:26 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Why you put $10 for plot twist
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:56 am Reply with quote
Okay,if Yui Horie is in this,they gotta get everyone else for one big Honey reunion(like they did for a drama CD back when Re: was made),including the live-action actresses
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen a PV that made this interested in a show since... I've never seen one that made me interested in watching a series until now actually. It's the 60s with a budget and modern animation technology and it sounds like a fun time.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
So is this going to be a remake, soft reboot, or what? How familiar should I be with Cutie Honey beforehand if I want to watch it?
Fallenmessiahx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
So is this going to be a remake, soft reboot, or what? How familiar should I be with Cutie Honey beforehand if I want to watch it?

From the premise and characters, it appears to be a remake of the 70's series. Shin Cutie Honey is the only sequel to any of the series and it was still pretty self-contained. I don't think you will have to watch any of the older series but it would not hurt either.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Man oh man how many Cutie Honey reboots has their been. Now don't get me wrong I always love me some Cutie Honey. But out of all of the works by Go Nagai, Mazinger-Z and Cutie Honey have been the most re-imagined out of all of his works. Even 'Devilman' hasn't got this much attention until now. But I guess it's time to introduce it to a new generation.

The odd thing is that 'Cutie Honey' is the only series that Go Nagai kind of tossed to the side. The first part of the series was done for all it was worth. But by the time they started what was called 'Cutie Honey 91', that continuation got canned. So now there have been several new approaches with a beginning and ending.

But I am curious to know how this series is going to turn out.

Okay after watching the trailer I'm going to have to check it out. Even in 2018 we're still kicking the 70's. And of course Yui Horie is back again reprising the role of Honey, just like she did in Re: Cutie Honey the animation. Which STILL hasn't had a release.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if’s Akira Fudo will make a cameo like he did in New Cutey Honey and Re: Cutey Honey
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:11 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Of course, I'll wait for the BD's because I have faith in this.

That's IF there's BDs at all since Pony Canyon apparently has this show.
1dbad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
The more I see, the more excited I get.

As someone who has no prior experience with Honey though, I'm a bit surprised all of her forms have different voice actors.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

... 'Cutie Honey 91', that continuation got canned.
...Re: Cutie Honey the animation. Which STILL hasn't had a release.

New Cutie Honey DIDN'T get canned/pushed to the side so much as they ran out of money and there was no reason to continue past eight episodes when the OVA series wasn't selling that well in Japan! The eighth episode has by far the WORST animation of that OVA series and there were scenes that only got half-finished. You can see it in the "animation mistakes" that are there. Got that piece of info straight from the English dub actress for Cutie Honey, (Jessica Calvello) herself! They had planned 10 or 12 installments (they cut the series off just as Sister Jill was resurrected) but the show just did not do well enough to continue past episode eight. Episode Nine was recorded and released as a Drama CD in Japanese.

As far as Re: Cutie Honey goes, it's been released on video -- in Japan. They've had DVD AND Blu ray releases of the OVA but nobody's licensed it for the US because Cutie Honey just isn't that popular outside of Japan. The opening animation for Re: Cutie was used in the 2004(?) live-action Cutie Honey feature film which Bandai DID release on DVD in the US. The theme for the live-action film is the same as was used in Re: Cutie Honey since it's the exact same animation. Hideaki "Eva" Anno directed the live-action film (his first live-action feature film) and produced the 3-part OVA series. Other people actually directed the animation.

Go Nagai's anime series in general haven't done that well in the West. They've released many of his shows and have even dipped back into the 1970s (cheaper licenses, there is a nostalgia crowd and people who appreciate older anime and even prefer it to today's anime; it's generally MUCH better than contemporary 1970s animation produced by H-B and other companies in the US) and have released the original Mazinger, Cutie Honey, and later versions of those series AND Devilman but they've never been particularly big hits. The Western culture is too damn uptight and politically correct for its own good! We saw that on display last night with the Oscars!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

... 'Cutie Honey 91', that continuation got canned.
...Re: Cutie Honey the animation. Which STILL hasn't had a release.

New Cutie Honey DIDN'T get canned/pushed to the side so much as they ran out of money and there was no reason to continue past eight episodes when the OVA series wasn't selling that well in Japan! The eighth episode has by far the WORST animation of that OVA series and there were scenes that only got half-finished. You can see it in the "animation mistakes" that are there. Got that piece of info straight from the English dub actress for Cutie Honey, (Jessica Calvello) herself! They had planned 10 or 12 installments (they cut the series off just as Sister Jill was resurrected) but the show just did not do well enough to continue past episode eight. Episode Nine was recorded and released as a Drama CD in Japanese.

As far as Re: Cutie Honey goes, it's been released on video -- in Japan. They've had DVD AND Blu ray releases of the OVA but nobody's licensed it for the US because Cutie Honey just isn't that popular outside of Japan. The opening animation for Re: Cutie was used in the 2004(?) live-action Cutie Honey feature film which Bandai DID release on DVD in the US. The theme for the live-action film is the same as was used in Re: Cutie Honey since it's the exact same animation. Hideaki "Eva" Anno directed the live-action film (his first live-action feature film) and produced the 3-part OVA series. Other people actually directed the animation.

Go Nagai's anime series in general haven't done that well in the West. They've released many of his shows and have even dipped back into the 1970s (cheaper licenses, there is a nostalgia crowd and people who appreciate older anime and even prefer it to today's anime; it's generally MUCH better than contemporary 1970s animation produced by H-B and other companies in the US) and have released the original Mazinger, Cutie Honey, and later versions of those series AND Devilman but they've never been particularly big hits. The Western culture is too damn uptight and politically correct for its own good! We saw that on display last night with the Oscars!

I'm not talking about the OVA, I'm referring to the manga. Cutie Honey 91 aka Cutie Honey 90. Which was a return to the series taking place 30 yrs after the first 'Cutie Honey, drawn by Go Nagai. It is what 'Shin Cutie Honey' was loosely based on. Studio Iron Cat tried to get it published here but it didn't get very far. It's even been said, that Go Nagai somewhat abandoned the whole thing. The whole point of this story was that it was the possible resurrection of 'Panther Claw'. Technically the resurrection of 'Sister Jill'. That's what I'm referring to. First series ended but was it on a cliffhanger? That I don't know until I see the original source material. 'Cutie Honey' 90', was later done. Then the OVA which pulled ideas from 'Cutey Honey 90'. And I've heard the stories about the OVA. But since then it has been said that Go Nagai kind of put the series off. But it has seen a revival after revival in all forms by different artists.

Though I do find it surprising that we're getting another version celebrating 40+ years on Netflix, and Seven Seas is publishing the books. The timing is perfect and the set up has now accomplished what other networks have tried and failed to do. Introduce "said" material to a wider audience. But I doubt it will have pull that 'Devilman Crybaby' had. Now the question is will they go out and read the original works?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2