• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure [Parts 1 + 2] (TV) [Phantom Blood + Battle Tendency].

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:12 am Reply with quote

This Season:

Season 1 - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure [Parts 1 + 2:] [Phantom Blood + Battle Tendency] (TV)

Other Seasons:

Season 2 - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure [Part 3]: Stardust Crusaders (TV) (discussed here)
Season 3 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure [Part 4]: Diamond Is Unbreakable (TV) (discussed here)
Season 4 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure [Part 5]: Golden Wind (TV) discussed here)
Season 5 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure [Part 6]: Stone Ocean (TV) (discussed here)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 131 volumes, by Hirohiko Araki)

Demographic: Shounen, Seinen

Animation Studio: David Production

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy, mystery, psychological, supernatural, thriller

Themes: betrayal, historical, superhumans, superpowers, tragedy, ultraviolence, vampires

Plot Summary: Beginning its tale in 19th century England, young aristocrat Jonathan Joestar finds himself locked in bitter rivalry with Dio Brando, a low-born boy who Jonathan’s father took under his wing after the death of Dio’s father. Discontent with his station in life, Dio’s fathomless drive to reign over all eventually leads him to seek the supernatural powers of an ancient Aztec stone mask in the Joestars' possession – an artifact that will forever change the destiny of Dio and Jonathan for generations to come.

Fifty years later, in 1938 New York City, Jonathan’s grandson Joseph Joestar must take up his grandfather’s mission and master the abilities necessary to destroy the stone mask and its immensely powerful creators, the Pillar Men, who threaten humanity's very existence.

Air Date & Platform: Oct. 5, 2012 (Amazon Prime, Crunchyroll, FUNimation, Netflix)
----------------------------------

Adaption is off to a pretty good start. I like the comic book direction style it's going for since it makes a few of the scenes stand out. Pacing bothers me a bit since they covered half of the first volume, but it flowed pretty well and they did a good job of establishing how much of a prick Dio is. Good lord is he a prick. The ending song is also pretty cool.

I'm both surprised and unsurprised this isn't being simulcast though (unless it's one of Funimation's 1 month delays). It definently does look like an 80's anime in some ways, but since the new game seems to be coming stateside I figured someone might try to go after it...
underlock

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:09 am Reply with quote
I'd have poisoned Dio were I in Jojo's shoes. Not that I dislike him more than Jojo as a character, so far at least.

I think I'll keep following this simply because it's so weird. I'm so tired of young people in anime that I'm willing to give almost everything else a shot.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:16 am Reply with quote
I am part attracted/part repelled by the ostentatious displays of cruelty going on here. The attraction part comes from seeing an a-hole like Dio Brando (who seems like he really could be a bastard son of Marlon Brando) get his comeuppance. The repelled part comes from ... well, watch it for yourself and you'll see. As somebody in the fall preview thread said, it's one of those titles where you just have to sit back and let the craziness wash over you. Looks like I'm in.
prabb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I am part attracted/part repelled by the ostentatious displays of cruelty going on here. The attraction part comes from seeing an a-hole like Dio Brando (who seems like he really could be a bastard son of Marlon Brando) get his comeuppance. The repelled part comes from ... well, watch it for yourself and you'll see. As somebody in the fall preview thread said, it's one of those titles where you just have to sit back and let the craziness wash over you. Looks like I'm in.

If we're talking about towards the end of the episode I'm almost 100% sure that scene was worse in the manga. Not graphic or anything but iirc you actually SEE what happens to him.

There won't be a lot of that. Jojo's Bizzare Adventure isn't about cruelty for the sake of cruelty. Dio is the biggest and baddest of the big bads and it's all about bringing him down. If you love to hate Dio I'd definitely recommend sticking around at least until the end of Part 1.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:27 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Jojo's spotlight got hijacked the moment Dio stepped foot on their estate.
He was just too naive and good-hearted..
That Dio truly turned his life into Hell.
Erina & his dog were the only things he had left.
Seeing Jojo snap was kinda refreshing.]

This looks interesting, will give it a few more episodes.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote
well after the first episode it confirmed that this is not a series I'll be watching. the retro look raised my suspicions. but gave it a chance to be something different than the pile of rubbish it turned out to be.

the characters are so lame and the cruel "i'll take everything from the spoiled lead" has been done to death in anime. its like watching friday the thirteenth 35.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
Not sure if it was supposed to be, but I thought this was funny as hell. I love the minimalist animation style.
ridiculus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
well after the first episode it confirmed that this is not a series I'll be watching. the retro look raised my suspicions. but gave it a chance to be something different than the pile of rubbish it turned out to be.

the characters are so lame and the cruel "i'll take everything from the spoiled lead" has been done to death in anime. its like watching friday the thirteenth 35.

Except it is Friday the Thirteenth 1, and then you are accusing it for being too much like the next 34 films. That is truly bizarre. Wink
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
ridiculus wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:

Except it is Friday the Thirteenth 1, and then you are accusing it for being too much like the next 34 films. That is truly bizarre. Wink

huh?

the first episode is irrelevant. its the over used lame ass premise thats like watching the 35th of a long should be dead series of movies.

what really sucks about this over used story line is there won't be ANY surprises I could literally write a list of events that will occur over the episodes following the two possibilities where its going to head to and be spot on.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
ridiculus wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:

huh?

the first episode is irrelevant. its the over used lame ass premise thats like watching the 35th of a long should be dead series of movies.

what really sucks about this over used story line is there won't be ANY surprises I could literally write a list of events that will occur over the episodes following the two possibilities where its going to head to and be spot on.

You really didn't get what he was saying. JoJo debuted back in the 80s and was partially an originator/innovator of some of the "overused storylines" you're complaining about. You're essentially saying that JoJo is "retroactively unoriginal", i.e. it's horribly unoriginal when it was, in reality, an original when it debuted. It's like talking about Astro Boy & complaining about the cliches & tropes that Astro Boy itself introduced and saying that it should be more original.
Relenus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Just finished the first episode. Loved it. I read a ton of the manga several years ago, but the translations were pretty terrible (this was before the official Viz titles came out) so I can barely remember what happened. Watching this felt like a nice refresher course.

I like how it sincerely feels like a retro comic book come to life. It gives me all sorts of memories of reading really old superhero comics at my friend's house as a kid, because everything is hilariously overdramatic and the plot moves at a lightspeed pace. Also, everyone is stacked.
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:26 am Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
I would really like to hear from you what is going to happen. Of course I want your own prediction, not a summary of the manga.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
Mr. Nescio wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:
I would really like to hear from you what is going to happen. Of course I want your own prediction, not a summary of the manga.

since i NEVER read manga that wont be a problem will it?

as for what will happen like i said there are two possibilities either jojo gets his act together and thwarts dio or dio does manage to take everything leaving jojo as a beggar /prince and the popper(much older story than jojo's adventures or The Count of Monte Cristo which also predates this anime by decades.) the story is old just because the anime has older origins the story has even older roots. i could list a dozen stories that would follow dio completely dominating or jojo getting his act together because there are so many to chose from.
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
Mr. Nescio wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:

since i NEVER read manga that wont be a problem will it?

as for what will happen like i said there are two possibilities either jojo gets his act together and thwarts dio or dio does manage to take everything leaving jojo as a beggar /prince and the popper(much older story than jojo's adventures or The Count of Monte Cristo which also predates this anime by decades.) the story is old just because the anime has older origins the story has even older roots. i could list a dozen stories that would follow dio completely dominating or jojo getting his act together because there are so many to chose from.

Oh boy are you gonna be surprised what happens with those theories. I assumed you knew what genre this series actually is but I guess not. You'll find out soon enough I guess.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Oh boy are you gonna be surprised what happens with those theories. I assumed you knew what genre this series actually is but I guess not. You'll find out soon enough I guess.

Hehe, no kidding Laughing

First ep was an OK introduction, but I'll have to see more. I loved the old OVAs but hated the newer ones, this one seems somewhere in between so far. The first ep really was a bit too in-your-face, but I think it stood out just because it's a pre-story. I think it'll be more natural once they get to the more crazy stuff - which looks like they will within 1-2 episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13