• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 22-Inch VF-1 Valkyrie Becomes Macross' Biggest Plastic Model Ever

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AkaRed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:00 pm Reply with quote
It's 55,88 cm in nontarded unit Laughing Anime catgrin + sweatdrop Mr. Green
hikura

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:13 pm Reply with quote
For that size and it being from macross that is a very reasonable price.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Actually, this is far from the largest plastic model built. I imagine there's a practical limit to size (probably around 3 feet) for a model because of market considerations and the strength of the plastic/styrene. It's sometimes not a bad idea to reinforce the larger models with a metal armature from what I understand...

Some of the Polar Lights/Round One Star Trek kits are close to three feet long, about a foot longer than this Valkyrie model. They're around $200 cheaper but I imagine the production runs and demand are higher and they get people who want to accuratize these kits to pay a LOT MORE with the add-ons -- stickers for Aztec patterns, additional decals to add detail, and the electronics for lighting and sound effects so yeah, those kits could easily cost more than this Valkyrie kit unless you wanted to add lighting and sound effects to the VF-1, too. You can bet the more hardcore modelers WILL add lighting and sound effects to their Valkyrie models!

Most of the Valkyrie model kits are "one-mode" only and this looks to be a Guardian/GERWALK model. I noticed the Bandai Star Wars kits are specifically manufactured so that fans really don't have to paint them unless they want to get the "battle-worn" look. The parts ARE molded in accurate if not absolutely correct parts and that was mentioned in the article.

Still, at that scale it should easily be the most accurate Valkyrie kit released to date.
But nearly 2 feet? Damn, that's big! That's the size of a small dog/large house cat!
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:37 am Reply with quote
Oh mama!

But that's like over $400 Canadian + taxes...

Ffffffffff....
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:45 am Reply with quote
Beyond my budget, but damn is that COOL.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:23 pm Reply with quote
This thing is big enough I'd have to charge it rent!

Seriously cool though..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1