• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Offers 'Family Membership' for Switch Online Service

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
partially

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:36 am Reply with quote
Really, really lame service. About the only real benefit is the cloud saves. But paying that much money for a service that is barely a couple of MB when you can get GB of data on free cloud services, it is ridiculously poor value. At least when Xbox started this service trend way back they had the benefit of a platform aimed at online gaming. And since then they have made sure to add lots of extra value, same with PSN. Whereas the Switch isn't really the same, it has always aimed at local multiplayer. This is basically just a service charge to play Splatoon. With no benefits, except a small handful of old NES games, thanks for your generosity! Rolling Eyes
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:12 am Reply with quote
partially wrote:
Really, really lame service. About the only real benefit is the cloud saves. But paying that much money for a service that is barely a couple of MB when you can get GB of data on free cloud services, it is ridiculously poor value. At least when Xbox started this service trend way back they had the benefit of a platform aimed at online gaming. And since then they have made sure to add lots of extra value, same with PSN. Whereas the Switch isn't really the same, it has always aimed at local multiplayer. This is basically just a service charge to play Splatoon. With no benefits, except a small handful of old NES games, thanks for your generosity! Rolling Eyes

Nowhere does it say a couple of MB. It is also for save files. Have you even looked at the cloud services for the other consoles, the ps4's is ridiculously small and their games are not exactly known for having small data anything. These are the first things the service is going to give you. When XBox Live first started it cost like 3x as much as this and only let you play games online. Nintendo out of the gate is giving you free monthly classic games (I know some people will like that and honestly the titles will probably be better than most of the trash ps plus gives every month) and a library of over 20 free classic games which will surely have more added to it from other consoles as time goes on. You also get a discount on on eshop games similar to the ps plus discount (hopefully it will be on more then just select titles like the ps plus).

Now that it is paid hopefully the service will be better than on past consoles (it better be) and there is more than just splatoon that uses online, such as Arms, Mario Kart and Mario Tennis that are out right now, with surely more games to come once the service is up and running.

For a $1.60 a month if you get the 12 month plan and why wouldn't you that is quite a bit on content you get there considering just one of those NES games is is usually 4-6 dollars on previous console eshops.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:09 am Reply with quote
Hopefully Switch Online will experiment with Netflix-style original shows and movies like PlayStation did. Heck, I wouldn't mind the upcoming Pokémon the Movie: Everyone's Story being billed by the new service as the first "Nintendo Switch Original Movie" when it hits the States.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:32 am Reply with quote
switchgear1131 wrote:

Have you even looked at the cloud services for the other consoles, the ps4's is ridiculously small and their games are not exactly known for having small data anything. These are the first things the service is going to give you.

This so much. Mine filled up like 3 months after I got my PS4, from just a handful of games and saves. FFXV being the one to take up the most. Huge letdown.

Also, $34.99 for 8 system is a fantastic deal by any measure.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I see that the "mega bucket" approach to pricing tiers has utility beyond the realm of fast-food chicken eateries.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Surprised it hasn't been pointed out that it's, what, a third (or less) than a PS+ or XBL Gold account?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Indeed it is. It's also much more expensive than the Wii U and 3DS online services.

Smart for Nintendo to finally join the rest of the consoles to force people to pay to play online multiplayer games.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
The thing that really intrigues me is the classic titles. I hope that ends up being the new Virtual Console because if they essentially make a Netflix for gaming that would be an unprecedented deal
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:40 pm Reply with quote
switchgear1131 wrote:

Nowhere does it say a couple of MB. It is also for save files. Have you even looked at the cloud services for the other consoles, the ps4's is ridiculously small

10 GB of cloud storage for save data that on average ranges from anywhere from 3 mbs to 30 mbs is too small?

I mean it might seem that way if you're paranoid enough about something happening to your save data and are trying to upload all your data to the cloud even the stuff that might clock in at nearly a gigabyte.

switchgear1131 wrote:

Nintendo out of the gate is giving you free monthly classic games

.....Which on the whole isn't really a new thing and unless they're going to let you keep playing those games when your paid subscription isn't active unlike plus and gold it isn't changing anything up.

switchgear1131 wrote:

(I know some people will like that and honestly the titles will probably be better than most of the trash ps plus gives every month)

Now hold on cowboy while part of me is inclined to agree with this, this isn't an every month thing with PS Plus they occasionally do offer something that's not redudant indie junk plus some of what Nintendo will be offering out of this is stuff people already played on their NES or SNES or wasn't really all that good anyway.

switchgear1131 wrote:

For a $1.60 a month if you get the 12 month plan and why wouldn't you that is quite a bit on content you get there considering just one of those NES games is is usually 4-6 dollars on previous console eshops.

Or basically free if you happen to have a SNES or NES Classic and know of certain apps that let's you play the exact same games along with some you'll never play on this service for one reason or the next.

Like all the NES/SNES TMNT games.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I'll stick with the single-person membership. I am literally the only user of my Switch, and I don't really see that changing in the future.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo just keeps been Nintendo. No wonder they can't compete with Sony.

Until they enable game sharing, I won't even look their way. For those that say that game sharing is a loss of revenue, I'll give you my example. My PS4 account has 240 purchased games (not PS+ games) because I can game share with my family. My Xbox account has ~50 games purchased.

When you compared that to the average attachment (I think it was 4-7 games per console) rate of a PS4, I'd say that Sony and its partners have come out ahead. I can just keep waiting for my PSVita 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1