• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Devilman, Angel Cop, Cat Girl Nuku Nuku, Law of Ueki, Cardcaptor Sakura: The

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Oh, yes, I am ready for uncensored Angel Cop (complete with an essay on the historical context - "here's why this is horribly racist", and probably a "The views expressed on this subtitle track are not the views of Discotek Media" disclaimer.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
To stop president "Hell" Mishima from conquering the world home applicance market, scientist Kyusaku Natsume creates the androbot Nuku Nuku. Sweet as a kitten and strong as a tiger, teenaged Nuku Nuku has no problem dispatching Mishima's stream of appliance robots.

I think this is a description of the TV series. The OVA focuses on a custody battle.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Hell yeah! I've been waiting for Angel Cop. It's not a remotely "good" series, but it's a lot of fun, especially with the hilariously awful dub.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Law of Ueki is such an underrated fun romp. Seems like something that should of been on Toonami during the dying days of its first run. Heck, I would rather have it on Toonami now over another Bebop/GitS run. Too bad at the time Geneon gave it to Blue Water to dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully someone remembers Nuku^2, which was fairly generic and didn't create many waves when it came out, but helped make Megumi Hayashibara's cheerily enthusiastic screech more instantly recognizable to early 90's-US Ranma, Slayers, Saber Marionette and Video Girl Ai fans.

The later series tried to make the character "cuter" to fit current tastes, but the original TV is classic Megumi.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Angel Cop with revised subs?YES!The salt will be so delicious!
It's so nice to see Discotek showing how much balls they have!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I imagine at some point, somebody got ahold of Shou Aikawa after Angel Cop and straightened him out. Thank goodness for that.

Anyway, Shin Mazinger on Blu-Ray! SOLD.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Hell yeah! I've been waiting for Angel Cop. It's not a remotely "good" series, but it's a lot of fun, especially with the hilariously awful dub.

I only saw it once so I don't remember how horrible the dub quality was so much as how much Manga Entertainment's dub loaded up the script with cursing and expletives. Not that I have a problem with foul language, but it was so excessive that I kinda ducked and cringed when my mom happened to pass through her way to the kitchen while I was watching it. All in all, I'd say it was the second worst experience watching an anime in my life.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Finally, the real finale to Cardcaptor Sakura out on Blu-ray. (Until Clear Card does something exciting, it's just a very extended epilogue in my eyes. Not bad but not really needed honestly either.)
And also Angel Cop... Oh boy.

johnnysasaki wrote:
Angel Cop with revised subs?YES!The salt will be so delicious!
It's so nice to see Discotek showing how much balls they have!

So you are either a Edgelord or a genuine Nazi.

penguintruth wrote:
I imagine at some point, somebody got ahold of Shou Aikawa after Angel Cop and straightened him out. Thank goodness for that.

Eh, he still is a very uneven writer who can turn out very garbage series (See Eureka Seven: AO and Chaos Dragon) I'm convinced that Fullmetal Alchmiest 2003 and Concrete Revolutio were only so very good due more to the efforts of Seiji Mizushima than him.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Discotek's license for All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku includes the original ... The company will release all of the installments on one SD Blu-ray-Disc

AFAIk there was a blu-ray release in japan of the original Nuku Nuku OVAs, it is a shame that this will be SD only. It would be nice if this series also streamed in crunchy, limiting themselves to people that saw it two decades ago is selling this series short IMO.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I already have Geneon's DVD release of The Sealed Card, so I won't be getting this re-release. Which reminds me, I need to get around to watching the first movie now that I have Discotek's DVD of it.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:08 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
AFAIk there was a blu-ray release in japan of the original Nuku Nuku OVAs, it is a shame that this will be SD only. It would be nice if this series also streamed in crunchy, limiting themselves to people that saw it two decades ago is selling this series short IMO.

There was a Blu-ray box of all three series, but they’re sourced from the old SD analog masters and were not restored in any way, just blown up to 1080i. We thought that was pointless, because an SD-BD would look just as good. (Actually a little better, since ours is progressive.)

Eat-Man was the same way.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see the Devilman OVA get rescued since I was worried there would be issues getting that dub after what happened with Maiden Japan's Black Magic M-66 & New Dominion Tank Police releases a few years back. Looking forward to watching that dub in full, along with the Japanese, when it's out. Also looking forward to double-dipping on Law of Ueki since I got rid of the 2-brick set that Geneon/FUNi released. 1 SD BD will be much better to deal with than the 13 DVDs I had before.

Zeino wrote:
Finally, the real finale to Cardcaptor Sakura out on Blu-ray. (Until Clear Card does something exciting, it's just a very extended epilogue in my eyes. Not bad but not really needed honestly either.)

I kinda dropped Clear Card myself a month or two ago because it has been a chore to watch on most weeks. I might pick it back up but maybe when it's over or when FUNi releases the BDs.

As for the movie, this is a welcome surprise since I thought FUNi would get it after getting Clear Card since they both share the same Japanese licensor (different from the first movie & original TV series) so I'll be looking forward to picking it up.

mangamuscle wrote:

The Japanese Blu-ray was upscaled and IIRC, it looked as bad as the other Takada adaptations, 3x3 Eyes & Blue Seed, so a SD Blu-ray for this is probably for the best.

EDIT: And Justin beat me to it, ah well, enjoy that Blue Seed shot. Anime dazed

Last edited by NJ_ on Fri May 25, 2018 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:19 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I imagine at some point, somebody got ahold of Shou Aikawa after Angel Cop and straightened him out.

I'm sure that Todd will actually clarify this himself in the essay, but from what I can find out by looking at credit listings, Shou Aikawa actually only helped write the first episode. Ichiro Itano himself co-wrote the first, and then singlehandedly wrote the rest of the episodes himself. For all we know, we've actually been falsely blaming Aikawa for what might have actually been Itano's absurd ideas!

What's even crazier is that, according to release dates, there was a four-year hiatus (1990 to 1994) between the first half & the second half in Japan. During that hiatus, Itano would teach at Yoyogi Animation Academy, and in 1992 actually directed an uber-obscure OVA called Star Dust, which was animated by students at Yoyogi. Not just that, but Star Dust was a completely pacifistic story, which goes against everything that Itano was known for (i.e. hyper-violence), which just makes it all the more crazy that he then returned to Angel Cop two years later, to finish it up.

As for the other announcements, I'm excited for the Devilman OVAs & very happy to see Law of Ueki be given a re-release. Overall, a bunch of great rescues to be found here.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Well well well! Speak of the Devil(man)! I just got my manga and started reading it and was chatting with my friends and wondering when Discotek was going to get ahold of the OVA, and here it is! I think I need it just for the dub.
And if you haven't read the manga (that Seven Seas just put out)? You should! It's pretty awesome, and sometimes becomes campy in a way it clearly never intended (in a meme fodder kind of way), and now there's spoiler[time travel!!! Devilman stopping the demons from killing Joan of Arc and stuff like that!!! And Devilman totally attacked with his damn eyebrow hair!] how extra can this manga get? I can see why Crybaby cut things like this, but enjoying the camp here is all part of the fun!

Also, I am SO glad they're so open about their Cyborg 009 progress. They update regularly on Twitter about it and give some basic details about how it's needing a TON more work than anyone thought possible (due to the condition of the materials), but I like that they're updating us and keeping us in the loop on it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3