• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview with Deadman Wonderland Creators

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I hope Smokin' Parade gets an anime soon, I started reading it recently. I hope it would be uncensored too.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Excellent manga. One of my favourites. I'd love to see the anime continue too. It's a shame it didn't include some of the characters though.
Really need to buy their other works at some point too.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Article:
Quote:
ANN: What was your reaction to the news that it would be shown on American television?

Kondou: “It was hard to believe that Deadman Wonderland would be animated even for a Japanese audience, so it was even harder to believe that it would have an American broadcast. And it was very impossible for me to imagine Ganta speaking English. I have not heard the English dub yet but would like to watch it!

With the first darkened sentence, it could be Kondou-san just couldn't imagine Ganta speaking a language beyond Japanese. Also, it doesn't necessarily mean that Kondou-san would prefer Romi Park's version to Greg Ayres; version. Reverse importing issues aside, if I was an Eng. dub VA, I would find very honored if I read that 1 of the Japanese creators expressed interest in wanting to hear the Eng. dub!
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I really wish the anime had received a second season at some point. Deadman Wonderland wasn't exactly high art, but it was good schlocky gorey fun, with a fantastically over-the-top dub to boot.
ecchigas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:07 am Reply with quote
for people who attended acen:
how was the attendance? did a lot of people show up for them
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:52 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I really wish the anime had received a second season at some point. Deadman Wonderland wasn't exactly high art, but it was good schlocky gorey fun, with a fantastically over-the-top dub to boot.

I watched the subbed version but I wish so too, just because it ends on such a cliffhanger and I want to know more of the backstory, the relationship between Ganta and Shiro when they were kids as the series alludes to with flashbacks. Looks like I'm gonna have to buy the 13 manga volumes. I'm just glad it's available digitally
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:55 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

i wouldn't say it was THAT over the top, but it had a little too many potty mouths for my taste , and some parts like ganta describing on the taste on the candy kinda felt forced if you ask me! while potty mouth dialogue worked for hyper violent series like hellsing & black lagoon, it definitely didn't worked for deadman!

Quote:
Kondou: “It was hard to believe that Deadman Wonderland would be animated even for a Japanese audience, so it was even harder to believe that it would have an American broadcast. And it was very impossible for me to imagine Ganta speaking English. I have not heard the English dub yet but would like to watch it!”

i would tell them "OH HELL NO!" if i could speak japanese. that is unless they have a MASSIVE tolerance for the amount of f bombs and potty like dialogues, which in the english version unfortunately is A LOT!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:30 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

i wouldn't say it was THAT over the top, but it had a little too many potty mouths for my taste , and some parts like ganta describing on the taste on the candy kinda felt forced if you ask me! while potty mouth dialogue worked for hyper violent series like hellsing & black lagoon, it definitely didn't worked for deadman!

Dude, Deadman practically begged for a foul-mouthed dub. That episode with the psycho sister whose name I can't remember was one of the most hilariously foul scenes I've ever had the pleasure of sitting through. It made the show. Very Happy
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:59 pm Reply with quote
ecchigas wrote:
for people who attended acen:
how was the attendance? did a lot of people show up for them

The Viz Media industry panel where they were featured guests was well-attended. But that one usually competes with Funimation's for the most-attended industry panel, so how much of that crowd was because of them is hard to say. They did throw out the additional bonus comment there that they didn't recommend marrying a fellow manga-ka, and I got the impression that they weren't entirely saying that in jest.

I know they had an autograph session, too, but I wasn't present for that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:31 am Reply with quote
My god,I didn't like "Deadman Wonderland." That had to be one of the worst anime I've ever seen. It wasn't fun,I didn't enjoy it,it was too gory for me and if anyone even read my review of this show,a lot of what I said still stands. It was simply a gorefest simply made for people who enjoy that stuff. I certainly didn't. If you want to try to find the review I did of this show,go ahead and try. It's not a show I ever want to subject myself to again,even in manga form. That being said,that was a nice interview with the creators of this train wreck. For me,I say good interview,bad manga and anime.
And,for those who are interested,no,I don't think the swearing helped the show any. It was bad enough with all the blood and gore. The swearing made a bad experience that much worse,as if that were even possible.
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I am kinda surprised they didn't question a possible second season, but I guess the anime did kinda dropped the ball, it's best not to bother.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:50 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
jr240483 wrote:

Dude, Deadman practically begged for a foul-mouthed dub. That episode with the psycho sister whose name I can't remember was one of the most hilariously foul scenes I've ever had the pleasure of sitting through. It made the show. Very Happy

for some parts yes, but there was others that felt kinda forced if you ask me. especially when it came for ganta! the ex cop senji or even makina sure, but not ganta, the psycho sister and her naive brother!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:07 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
jr240483 wrote:

While they may have gone overboard with the F-bombs, truth is a setting like "Deadman" would be appropriate for a foul-mouth dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1