• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Twitter User Reimagines Trump, Kim as Pop Team Epic's Leading Duo

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Paint the North Korean dictator in a positive light, and Trump in a negative light... typical ANN. I've seen some pro-Trump stuff come out of Japan, but of course you guys aren't going to mention that.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Paint the North Korean dictator in a positive light, and Trump in a negative light... typical ANN. I've seen some pro-Trump stuff come out of Japan, but of course you guys aren't going to mention that.

They... didn't paint anyone in a positive light? They said Kim likes Gundam, which does not denote a great person, and they mentioned that Trump (and to a lesser extent Kim) have been in a number of Japanese manga. It's not like ANN is looking only for bad portrayals of Trump, but that the portrayals from Japan all happen to be negative. If you have seen positive representation than feel free to post it; it's highly likely ANN just never saw it.

Stop trying to find political stances where there's literally nothing but fact reporting.
J_LEE_C

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Kim Jong-un: "If you say 'tremendous' 100 times, the world blows up."
Trump: "Oh nooo, I'm already at 99 times.."
Trump: *whispers* "tremendous
World:

[img]https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/pop-team-epic/images/0/09/Explosion.png/revision/latest?cb=20180301083027[/img]
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

Given that's this is a parody I don't how either one are being portrayed in a positive much less a negative light.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:07 pm Reply with quote
If anything, that’s an insult to Popuko and Pipimi.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
Now, this is genius!
Lord of Fire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:21 am Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

I don't really see how this is negative, given how many people (both real and fictional) have been immortalized in Bkub's typical style already Heck, I'm surprised these two weren't made in this style before. (or at least together). Besides, loads of people suffer from Trump Derangement Syndrome, and given how it has permeated almost everywhere, it's not hard to find negative images of him.

If you want an actual positive portrayal, look up Ben Garrison on Twitter. He makes no secret of his support for the President, and shows it all the time through his cartoons.
HameruIsCool

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I just can't find this funny. This just feels like an insult to the powerhouse duo.
Popuko and Pipimi are too great to be turned into manchildren.

Realistically, they girls would be pulling pranks on them.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:35 am Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Paint the North Korean dictator in a positive light, and Trump in a negative light... typical ANN.

Sounds like Trump is already doing more than enough to paint Kim in a positive light. He's complimented Kim's propaganda machine, saluted his generals, called Kim trustworthy...meanwhile all this Twitter user did was draw them in Poptepic style. You're mad about the wrong thing, bro.
simona.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:18 am Reply with quote
it's acutally interesting that the original poster of the images @SonmiChina apparently was the one who started the whole [New Life+] light novel uproar and now they deleted the account and disappeared.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
saluted his generals
Said general saluted Trump first(he is the command-in-chief and all that). Returning the salute is like taking a proffered hand: it's what you do.

We now return to your regularly scheduled politics.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
saluted his generals
Said general saluted Trump first(he is the command-in-chief and all that). Returning the salute is like taking a proffered hand: it's what you do.

Name one commander in chief who has made a military salute to a member of an enemy army. Yeah, when you impose international economic sanctions on a whole country, calling them "enemies" is par for the course.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:57 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Name one commander in chief who has made a military salute to a member of an enemy army. Yeah, when you impose international economic sanctions on a whole country, calling them "enemies" is par for the course.
Given how unusual the setup is(the US and North Korea have been at war with each other for decades now), I'm not sure you can find any equivalents, let alone any where how who greeted who got written down.

To come back around to my original point, salutes are always originated by the inferior officer and returned by the superior officer. And, at any rate, the salute was offered when Trump was going for a handshake; I highly suspect that says more about how the North Korean military's trained than anything.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
Given how unusual the setup is(the US and North Korea have been at war with each other for decades now), I'm not sure you can find any equivalents, let alone any where how who greeted who got written down.

To come back around to my original point, salutes are always originated by the inferior officer and returned by the superior officer. And, at any rate, the salute was offered when Trump was going for a handshake; I highly suspect that says more about how the North Korean military's trained than anything.

The president is not a military officer. He is the civilian commander in chief. Until the Reagan years, the President did not return the salutes of military officers. Military officers are required to salute he president, but’s it actually proper protocol for the President to not return the salute. For the past thirty years, Presidents have, more often than not, followed Reagan’s lead in this regard as a sign of respect, though occasionally with a dog or coffee cup in hand.

While the President may chose to salute an American officer, they are not required to and it actually goes against nearly two hundred years of precedent to do so. For a president to salute a foreign officer at all is unusual, let alone one that commands an army that we are still technically at war with. I work with Veterans and I’ve seen first hand how many of them, even some of the hard core supporters were outraged over this.

I agree that I don’t think he did it intentionally. He probably was just caught off guard, but this is something he should have been prepared for. Perhaps he should have spent more time learning about what he would encounter, instead of insisting that he didn’t have much preparation to do. He could have avoided something that offended many veterans, especially those that fought in our “forgotten war.”
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:05 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Perhaps he should have spent more time learning about what he would encounter, instead of insisting that he didn’t have much preparation to do. He could have avoided something that offended many veterans, especially those that fought in our “forgotten war.”

Ha, when does he learn or prepare for anything? This was nothing new. Just him being the idiot he is.

As far as the various "re imaginings" we've had of Trump in various art styles this one is one of the more smirk worthy for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1