• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Screen I Want to Eat Your Pancreas Anime Film in U.S. Theaters

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:18 am Reply with quote
Given that we still haven't gotten the first Heaven's Feel film dubbed (despite the fact that the subtitled screenings sold out most of the theatres they were playing in), I take it there's basically no hope of this one getting a release in Canada.

Last edited by Pepperidge on Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:24 am Reply with quote
I wanna know something. Who thought up the name for a movie like this? "I Wanna Eat Your Pancreas?" It sounds like a bad B grade horror movie from the 1950's and 60's. To me,the title conjures up images of a monster or some maniac going around killing people to get at their pancreases. I can imagine some gorehound wanting to go to this movie strictly based on this title and then watching this movie and finding out that there isn't any sort of gore in there. Basically,he's going to want his money back.
Why in the world did anyone think that this would be a good title for a movie like this? It sounds like something that Steven King or Junji Ito would dream up for one of their stories. This sounds like it'll be a good movie. It's a shame it's got such a bad title. A title it really doesn't need.
kyokun47

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:39 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I wanna know something. Who thought up the name for a movie like this? "I Wanna Eat Your Pancreas?" It sounds like a bad B grade horror movie from the 1950's and 60's. To me,the title conjures up images of a monster or some maniac going around killing people to get at their pancreases. I can imagine some gorehound wanting to go to this movie strictly based on this title and then watching this movie and finding out that there isn't any sort of gore in there. Basically,he's going to want his money back.
Why in the world did anyone think that this would be a good title for a movie like this? It sounds like something that Steven King or Junji Ito would dream up for one of their stories. This sounds like it'll be a good movie. It's a shame it's got such a bad title. A title it really doesn't need.

Don’t quote me on this, but I believe the title is based off of a saying in which someone wants to help you with your problems, therefore wanting to “eat” (dispose of) the problem for the other person? Food is pretty comforting, lol. That’s what I remember, at least.
brynhild

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:18 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

It's a literal translation of the japanese title. Like another poster said, it's playing off the phrase where someone wants to eat an someone elses' issue to cure them. It's trying to do a more romantic theme.
TichoSlicer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:05 am Reply with quote
In times like these that I wanted to live in the US... Here in Brazil we will never get something like this... ;/
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:19 am Reply with quote
I have to agree about the title...
It's just bad and doesn't sound good in English.
It does sound like a horrible B-movie or zombie flick!

If there's one thing that I see go wrong with a lot of Japanese films, it's the title to their films. It's either too descriptive of the plot and uses far too many words, OR it's an inappropriate title. Guess which category this film's title falls into!

I might still watch it, though.

If it lives up to something like reality, I take it the ending won't be nice!
RealMTL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:50 am Reply with quote
I'm going to see this movie based solely on the title. It looks like this year will be another good year for anime movies showing the US.
Ruddor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah I tell you somethin'
I think you'll acquiesce
When I say that somethin'
I want to eat your pancreas
Green Luthor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:12 pm Reply with quote
brynhild wrote:
It's a literal translation of the japanese title. Like another poster said, it's playing off the phrase where someone wants to eat an someone elses' issue to cure them. It's trying to do a more romantic theme.

I think this is one of those times that a less literal translation might have been the better way to go...
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:18 pm Reply with quote
@Snommaster1:

'pancreanomnom'?

Dang it, I'm probably going to cry during this one.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I read up on this movie and it seems like a pretty good one. It sounds like a sweet teenage romance with a couple of nice kids in there. The problem comes with the title. It sounds like something that Roger Corman or John Waters would have done in the 1960's. But,to be fair to this movie,a number of Hollywood films have gotten strange names when they've gone overseas and they've been given titles which didn't exactly recommend them to anyone in those countries.
I hope the Japanese company doing this movie allows the American company distributing this movie to change the title of this movie slightly to something that doesn't inspire images of cannibalism in people's minds. From my perspective,people will think that Jeffrey Dahmer or that creepy guy in Japan who cannibalized that girl in Holland all those years ago might have had something to do with this movie. This seems like a good movie. It doesn't need a title like this. It's too creepy and the movie itself is not.
kyokun47

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I read up on this movie and it seems like a pretty good one. It sounds like a sweet teenage romance with a couple of nice kids in there. The problem comes with the title. It sounds like something that Roger Corman or John Waters would have done in the 1960's. But,to be fair to this movie,a number of Hollywood films have gotten strange names when they've gone overseas and they've been given titles which didn't exactly recommend them to anyone in those countries.
I hope the Japanese company doing this movie allows the American company distributing this movie to change the title of this movie slightly to something that doesn't inspire images of cannibalism in people's minds. From my perspective,people will think that Jeffrey Dahmer or that creepy guy in Japan who cannibalized that girl in Holland all those years ago might have had something to do with this movie. This seems like a good movie. It doesn't need a title like this. It's too creepy and the movie itself is not.

I don’t necessarily think that the audience for this movie wouldn’t not look it up beforehand, and the audience who isn’t interested... isn’t interested enough to care about a title like this. They’ll see it and laugh for a second, then go about their day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1