• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Laws of the Universe Film Gets Simultaneous Japan/U.S. Release

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blankslate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:31 pm Reply with quote
It's so weird that cults make anime now as advertisements. I mean sure we've always had militaristic propaganda in anime (Momotaro, Gate, etc), but still.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
It's so weird that cults make anime now as advertisements. I mean sure we've always had militaristic propaganda in anime (Momotaro, Gate, etc), but still.

They aren't the first (There's a Mike Toole column from a couple years ago on a bunch of them)
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Meanwhile we can't even get a subbed release of DBS Broly out here.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Who even asked for this?
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I remember when first Law of Universe film saw premiered in San Francisco at New People Cinema back few years ago and... I only saw a bunch of old Japanese expats coming out from the cinema building after the premier.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:20 am Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
Meanwhile we can't even get a subbed release of DBS Broly out here.

<Sigh>
Let me pull you aside and put a pincushion in your sense of fandom entitlement.
I like anime, too, and even prefer to watch subs myself BUT I'm under no delusions about the fact that most fans LIKE to watch dubbed films. They don't like reading subtitles.

There's another fact you may not want to face -- a lot of people like the English-speaking cast of Dragonball better, too. I'm not in love with the show either way but I kinda have to agree on the point of Goku... That Japanese woman's voice really does grate on me sometimes and it takes me out of the "suspension of disbelief" whenever I hear Goku or Gohan speak and it's a woman's voice coming out of their mouths. It just doesn't work for me.

Now, as to WHY they're showing the film with a dub in September in North America? Well, according to the Wiki entry, the film isn't premiering in Japan until the middle of December this year -- another full 3 months AFTER the US/North American premiere.

NOT the first time they've done this, btw. The Mazinger Z film opened up in Europe last year in October before it premiered in Japan in January this year. Why did they do that? Because Mazinger is VERY popular in some countries outside Japan and it was dubbed into Italian and French for releases in those countries. They were NEVER going to subtitle that film and release it with Japanese audio until AFTER the Japanese release for the reason I'll reveal below.

There's these nasty little things called reverse importation and bootlegging. They're probably anticipating people WILL record the film in theaters in the US or Canada and upload it to the Internet. That's virtually a given. They think it will discourage Japanese fans from bothering with the US edition since it's not the Japanese audio. Most Japanese DB fans want to hear the (surviving members of) the classic Japanese cast. Many of the hardcore fans who can put up with the English audio WILL watch the film regardless but that will be a smaller number than those who prefer to hear it in their native language.

Most people want to see films in their own language and the Japanese aren't any different with a few notable exceptions -- for instance, they like their classic Star Wars with subtitles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1