• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: First Nation Teen Keeps Language Alive by Dubbing Sailor Moon

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S0crates

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:25 pm Reply with quote
No matter what language you use, make sure to yell "Saaaaaaaaaaaailor Muuuuuuuuuuunu" Laughing
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Impressive and admirable in it's aim of preserving native languages. That being said, why is Luna voiced by a guy?

Last edited by Zeino on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:16 pm Reply with quote
This is fantastic!
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I have massive respect for this endeavor
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Impressive and admirable in it's aim of persevering native languages. That being said, why is Luna voiced by a guy?

Sounds like an older woman to me! Either way though, it's cool that this is even a thing. ^^b
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:24 pm Reply with quote
This is quite impresive. I always wanted to know how a dub in a Native American language of an anime series could sound like.

Too bad here in Mexico no one is interested in doing those, since Native Mexicans are very... protective toward their languages, for putting it in nice words, and they don't want to dub trivial stuff in their languages.
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Damn, that is dedication to your passion! I got nothing but respect for the lass.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:45 am Reply with quote
"First Nation", of course, refers to Canadian Native tribes who are still too north-of-the-border paranoid to continentally call themselves "Native Am******s"

There's not quite as much specifically Canadian First-Nation culture in the lower 48 states, although you will find First National banks. Wink

Quote:
Sutherland gets additional assistance from native speakers and teachers to ensure the dubs have proper flow and context.

However, it didn't raise enough interest for native speakers to connect him with a female language-speaking teen to dub the mostly female characters?

It does sound rather like that story of the Romanian woman who had an underground job UN-style translating secret smuggled VHS tapes of 80's American action movies during the Communist days, and a freedom-envying generation fell in love with the female voice coming out of Sylvester Stallone and Chuck Norris...

Last edited by EricJ2 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Symmetrical_Magician

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:26 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Zeino wrote:
Impressive and admirable in it's aim of persevering native languages. That being said, why is Luna voiced by a guy?

Sounds like an older woman to me! Either way though, it's cool that this is even a thing. ^^b

I think it is a guy! While it sounds like Sutherland is getting assistance with the language/his use of it, I think he's voicing the whole thing himself? Like apparently he's getting help with "proper flow and context," not necessarily acting.

Color me even more impressed. It's a huge project in the first place and then, that.
Vadara

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:30 am Reply with quote
This is really cool! People would be amazed at the amount of native languages that American Imperialism has nearly all but wiped out. Hundreds upon hundreds of completely unique tongues and long-branching language families, many with barely 100 speakers (if that) to their name. It's very sobering and depressing when you read about it.
CR85747

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:00 am Reply with quote
May I point you to Lakota Berenstain Bears, the only professional project of this type ever mounted.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:53 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
It does sound rather like that story of the Romanian woman who had an underground job UN-translating secret smuggled VHS tapes of 80's American action movies during the Communist days, and a freedom-envying generation fell in love with the female voice coming out of Sylvester Stallone and Chuck Norris...
Atleast with those Romanian dubs, the original voices could still be heard underneath.

I do agree that this dub could be improved if a female voice actress was involved. The sound mixing is very good.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:23 am Reply with quote
Vadara wrote:
This is really cool! People would be amazed at the amount of native languages that American Imperialism has nearly all but wiped out. Hundreds upon hundreds of completely unique tongues and long-branching language families, many with barely 100 speakers (if that) to their name. It's very sobering and depressing when you read about it.

He's Canadian, not American.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:14 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
He's Canadian, not American.

Semantic. Same thing by any other name.

When it comes to treatment of native cultures, Canadian imperialism was no better than American imperialism. They were massacred, they were forced off their territory, they were forced onto reserves, and they were forced to give up their language and culture.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I am incredibly surprised he was able to get permission from the rights holders to do this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2