• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Capcom Shuts Down Vancouver Studio

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xzy123

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:39 am Reply with quote
So capcom don't want story that is interesting. They want street fighter were is boring nothing but suck cash out player who want to fight.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Good. Hopefully any future Dead Rising games will be like the first one and not.. whatever the last few ones Vancouver pumped out.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:45 pm Reply with quote
xzy123 wrote:
So capcom don't want story that is interesting. They want street fighter were is boring nothing but suck cash out player who want to fight.

A little fact for the day: Capcom had some potential with Vancouver. As much as they wanted to be like a video game company that had movie industry quality and budgets, that could have been aimed for not for the other fact that they were doing what Inafune wanted ie cater to a western market solely and foremost. Everyone loves Capcom more for their anime rooted and styled games, and this also goes for Resident Evil. The realism was just the frosting, end of story.

It actually is sad to hear that the Vancouver studio is shutting down. Infinite, Ocean Group, the actors and actresses who helped star in Capcom games, the works. Sure, there is some bad blood I can sense and even read at this moment, but to see this turn of events is quite a shocker. Canada helped make Capcom as big as they were today, and as much as I wish they could be around, "shoulda coulda woulda".

I hope that the staff find new work. Goodbye, Capcom Vancouver. We'll meet with you again, along with Mark Gatha and the Mega Man Legends voicecast, someday.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:

A little fact for the day: Capcom had some potential with Vancouver. As much as they wanted to be like a video game company that had movie industry quality and budgets, that could have been aimed for not for the other fact that they were doing what Inafune wanted ie cater to a western market solely and foremost. Everyone loves Capcom more for their anime rooted and styled games,

Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, Bionic Commando, Resident Evil, X-Men COTA, Marvel Super Heroes, Dead Rising, Ghosts n Goblins, Dragon's Dogma aren't what I would call anime rooted/styled games.

Chester McCool wrote:
Good. Hopefully any future Dead Rising games will be like the first one and not.. whatever the last few ones Vancouver pumped out.

That's provided this development along with the reception to 4 doesn't make Capcom put the game on the shelf.

Also 2 wasn't really that much different from the first.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:13 pm Reply with quote
TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:
xzy123 wrote:

A little fact for the day: Capcom had some potential with Vancouver. As much as they wanted to be like a video game company that had movie industry quality and budgets, that could have been aimed for not for the other fact that they were doing what Inafune wanted ie cater to a western market solely and foremost. Everyone loves Capcom more for their anime rooted and styled games, and this also goes for Resident Evil. The realism was just the frosting, end of story.

It actually is sad to hear that the Vancouver studio is shutting down. Infinite, Ocean Group, the actors and actresses who helped star in Capcom games, the works. Sure, there is some bad blood I can sense and even read at this moment, but to see this turn of events is quite a shocker. Canada helped make Capcom as big as they were today, and as much as I wish they could be around, "shoulda coulda woulda".

I hope that the staff find new work. Goodbye, Capcom Vancouver. We'll meet with you again, along with Mark Gatha and the Mega Man Legends voicecast, someday.

I think you're a bit confused as to what this company was actually responsible for. They were a game development studio originally named Blue Castle. Capcom purchased the company in 2010. I'm not sure they did any localization work. Instead, they created new titles like Dead Rising 2-4 and last year's failed Puzzle Fighter mobile game.

Capcom did do a lot of voice work in Canada, though AFAIK outside of the Capcom Vancouver developed games, that was either through Capcom USA or Japan. A good chunk of their PSone-era output was done in Toronto (Mega Man Legends, Dino Crisis, Resident Evil 2, etc.), but they've primarily been LA ever since. There was a brief period where they did a handful of titles with Ocean in the mid 2000s through Blue Water in Calgary. For a while they did try to keep some of the actors around but that ended once they stopped doing union productions.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:53 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Also 2 wasn't really that much different from the first.

I'll give you that. 2 was fine. Maybe they had the parent company advising them or they didn't feel ambitious enough to change the formula yet.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:40 am Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
I'll give you that. 2 was fine. Maybe they had the parent company advising them or they didn't feel ambitious enough to change the formula yet.

Dead Rising was one of Keiji Inafune's productions and he did supervise the second one. As a matter of fact, it was one of the last things he did before leaving Capcom not long after it's original release.
Dardre

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:37 am Reply with quote
So CAPCOM is still having financial trouble. Maybe it's time for a change in management rather than shutting down studios.

And the recent reveal that Devil May Cry 5 will have microtransactions makes me worried they're still not reading the consumers well.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:05 am Reply with quote
Dardre wrote:
So CAPCOM is still having financial trouble. Maybe it's time for a change in management rather than shutting down studios.

A change in management would still likely result in the shutting down of studios especially if those studios are seen as not being financially viable to keep open.

Trimming fat so to speak.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1