• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mirai

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:02 am Reply with quote
Wow, gotta say: I hope MIRAI gets the US dub in the USA and the Canadian dub, here in Canada a la MK2....
Peter Hunt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:43 am Reply with quote
Well, Hosoda could only go up after The Boy and the Beast...
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I simply adored Wolf Children, so anything in the same vein can only be welcomed. It must be said, however, that this new film's reportedly narrower focus and milder concept might come at the cost of a smaller emotional reward. A case of punching below weight almost; something which, on the scale of a theatrical work, may paradoxically incur a greater risk than embarking on an expansive story arc and capitalising on its developments.
Hosoda can be credited for his ability to make the domestic triumphs of others emphatically accessible, and occasionally to amplify numerous insubstantial joys into something resonantly cathartic, though I'm not persuaded that the latter will necessarily follow the former here. I retain my interest in Mirai, but I'm not chomping at a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Peter Hunt wrote:
Well, Hosoda could only go up after The Boy and the Beast...

Indeed. That movie was so mediocre and inferior to his other movies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Peter Hunt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:57 am Reply with quote
Saw it today, and while I 'get' what Hosoda's doing; making a self-reflective work of his role as a father and as a child, I struggled to enjoy it.

Having a nephew myself, the constantly-borderline frustration of dealing with Kun hit way too close for me and so it get points for realism, but god, I can barely deal with my nephew for an hour, let alone an animated version for two. I don't know how parents do it. I couldn't.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:16 am Reply with quote
Interesting, I will have to check it out.

Kim, you weren't quite plain enough that the name "Mirai" means "Future", an interesting name for a girl, certainly, but it is a perfect name for the movie.

Mirai may not be featured much as a character, but is certainly well featured as.. the future, don't you think? I think the title is meant to reflect both.
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Just saw this one today with my brother at the local city museum of art. Pretty good, I must say. It did give me some deja vu in some scenes, mostly involving teenage Mirai. It sort of reminded me of The Girl who Leapt through Time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1