• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Eric Beckman, Founder & President of GKIDS

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Now I learned that his name is Eric and not Dave. LOL.

He's a really great guy to talk to when you can catch him. I've had numerous occasions to sit and talk with him regarding what goes on in picking the entries and the festival in general. But he's a busy guy when it's on. The cool thing is that he takes time after the shows to talk to the kids getting their feedback of each screening they've attended. They love him. They especially love him when he tosses out the t-shirts.

The audience of the festival is growing steadily.

This year he's out of town.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Man, I sure do wish I lived several hundred miles closer to this festival. -But GKids putting many of these awesome films out in theaters and on physical releases is good enough for an animation lover like me.

I've been to a number of their screenings (going to see Only Yesterday when it hits my theater next week!), and every time I see a new movie with the GKids logo on the spine it's an insta-buy. I hope the festival and GKids stays around for a long time. It's thanks to you all that we get to have nice things.

Thanks for sharing the world of animation with us! Very Happy
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to have to get to this someday soon. I'll just have to plan a trip to NYC around it or something. Too many great films that I can't see otherwise, and I just really want to experience this festival, it sounds wonderful.

I do wish GKids would put a few more of these on disc, I'm not sure what the hold up is, or if they just don't think there is enough interest, but I'd pay a lot of money for Giovanni's Island and Miss Hokusai on disc.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Based on the features for the screenings, while there are some that many wish to be released on DVD, some do get grabbed but by other companies. Not just Gkids. There was another company, Newvideo (Cinedigm) that also did releases (I guess on behalf of Gkids) of some films.

But when other companies are involved it takes awhile to see a release. It almost seems that if the screening gets a lot of attention overseas during the international festivals, chances are once it gets an announcement for a screening there's a follow-up for a license. You got Shout Factory, Sony, Weinsten, etc...and of course the anime companies like Funimation.

There is a lot of good stuff in the screenings, some are hit or miss, but it's a fun experience to attend either alone or with family members.

They also hold festivals in other areas too, I think Philly. But you can contact them and inquire within if there are other states they visit. But the importance of the festival is animation from all over the globe, live-action coming of age films, animation shorts, and seeing how 2D isn't dead, but also all the different combinations of animation these international studios can come up with.

I have two more weeks to attend. Last day of work, we're closed tomorrow cause the students are on break, and I have 2 days to relax before week 3 of the festival.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
You have fun up there Chrno2! Sounds like an awesome experience.
Maybe I'll see you up there in a couple of years. Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
They also hold festivals in other areas too, I think Philly. But you can contact them and inquire within if there are other states they visit.

I was wondering about that. It seems like a ton of work to put the show together, and a waste of all that work to only show the slate in one city, even if that city is NY. This should definitely be a traveling show. Smile

Quote:
...we had programmed a short film by the film maker called Wolf Daddy, which is not even available—the original version of the film is gone, so you can't even get it in HD anymore.

What does he mean, it's gone? Is this an old film that's been lost? If so, how was it ever in HD? If not, how is it just "gone"?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
They also hold festivals in other areas too, I think Philly. But you can contact them and inquire within if there are other states they visit.

I was wondering about that. It seems like a ton of work to put the show together, and a waste of all that work to only show the slate in one city, even if that city is NY. This should definitely be a traveling show. Smile

Quote:
...we had programmed a short film by the film maker called Wolf Daddy, which is not even available—the original version of the film is gone, so you can't even get it in HD anymore.

What does he mean, it's gone? Is this an old film that's been lost? If so, how was it ever in HD? If not, how is it just "gone"?

I'm subscribed to their newsletter, so there is never a month that goes by when they have a festival in another state, or have screenings or animation camps to check out throughout the year. But the main festival is always held annually. That's when you have the yearly line-up. Chosen from several hundred entries.

Then you have the usual screenings that happen though out the year. These are just screenings that are announced for whichever film has garnered the most attention, which allows for people to get the chance of seeing it again at a later date. At a selected venue. By this time these films may have considered for a DVD release. I'm also noticing that some of these features are now being featured with dubs, unless otherwise noted. Then of course they host Miyazaki's films all the time. But yeah, being hosted in NYC is hard to attend if you don't live in the area. But I do think Philly runs one.

Wolf Daddy is gone? Does that mean that the original film was lost?

See this is what I hate when films get lost forever. Sometimes it's a studio thing. Often time carelessness. We hear about this all the time where you have a small studio produce a project, it gets completed then studio closed down for whatever reason and the footage reels somehow ends up lost forever. Which is truly, truly sad. The only thing one can hope for is that someone either picked it up and it ends up discovered in someone's garage.

Actually, when I attended last years festival they did a screening for the creator's (Hyeong-yoon Jang) latest film from 2014, Satellite Girl and Milk Cow. Actually one of the ANN users "enurtsol" has been using the image as an avatar.

*I'm trying to finish up a book on the adult film industry in Japan, and it's the same thing. You can only imagine how many amateure films that were made and now GONE. Just gone. Titles exist but not a shred of film to be found. Not to mention the cost to preserve such films. This also opened my eyes about they importance of preserving history.

But after the show I was asked about what I thought of the film and I had to say that film was very odd but very entertaining. It's on DVD, not in the states though. I was curious to know if as a director he had ever made an appearance, he had not. That's when they told me about one of his films they screened a good while back and that was 'Wolf Daddy'. So of course I had to look it up. I guess I'll never get the chance to see the film now. Really sad that this piece of animation history has been lost. Sad
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I guess I'll never get the chance to see the film now. Really sad that this piece of animation history has been lost. Sad

Well, not completely lost, but not exhibition quality either. It's just odd that something only 11 years old would vanish into the ether.

lol at spoiler[refrigerator deer] (kinda disturbing at first though).
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
This a problem that stretches across all other medias. Be they books, music, films,radio,television podcasts preserving works of art no mater how small. I have been reading and listening to reports of this pressing problem since the last century at least. Money and love, understanding of the importance of these important works is needed to preserve them and a stage where the general public can view them. Sad
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
marcos torres toledo wrote:
This a problem that stretches across all other medias. Be they books, music, films,radio,television podcasts preserving works of art no mater how small. I have been reading and listening to reports of this pressing problem since the last century at least. Money and love, understanding of the importance of these important works is needed to preserve them and a stage where the general public can view them. Sad

For instance: Filipino movies from the seventies or eighties are virtually non-existent on the original film, so no chance for Blu-rays/HD remasters except for a handful of certified classics. Contrast that with Hollywood movies from the forties (or earlier!) being in excellent condition.

Also, digital media likely won't last as long as good old film and other analog formats/physical media.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:36 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
You have fun up there Chrno2! Sounds like an awesome experience.
Maybe I'll see you up there in a couple of years. Very Happy

Thanks. Hope to see you there one day. Surprised Surprised
gridsleep

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:03 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
marcos torres toledo wrote:

For instance: Filipino movies from the seventies or eighties are virtually non-existent on the original film, so no chance for Blu-rays/HD remasters except for a handful of certified classics. Contrast that with Hollywood movies from the forties (or earlier!) being in excellent condition.

Also, digital media likely won't last as long as good old film and other analog formats/physical media.

The newly developed M-Disk media is rated for 10,000+ years. It does not use dye but cuts physical gaps in the substrate which will last many thousands of years as long as it is not mechanically damaged. It requires an M-Disk rated burner.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1