• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cygames Takes Over Granblue Fantasy: Relink PS4 Game's Development From Platinum Games

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dardre

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:53 am Reply with quote
This does not sound encouraging. I was looking forward to this game precisely because Platinum Games was involved.

I'm hoping that this was planned all along, and that Platinum was there to create the combat system, then turn the game over to Cygames to finish. But this is a rather weak and desperate hope.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:57 am Reply with quote
Here's some info on it https://twitter.com/granblue_en/status/1092628735881330688?s=19

The gist appears to be that Platinum has finished the job (basic gameplay and whatnot I'd imagine) it was contracted for and Cygames is going to fill up the rest with content.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:13 am Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:
The gist appears to be that Platinum has finished the job (basic gameplay and whatnot I'd imagine) it was contracted for and Cygames is going to fill up the rest with content.

It sure is weird the way this went down - like, why would they tell us this, at this point in time, at all? - so I'm wondering if something else is going on and this is all a nice, cordial way phrasing it. But, of course, what do I know. Whatever happened, hopefully the end product turns out OK.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:42 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Tomibiki wrote:

It sure is weird the way this went down - like, why would they tell us this, at this point in time, at all? - so I'm wondering if something else is going on and this is all a nice, cordial way phrasing it. But, of course, what do I know. Whatever happened, hopefully the end product turns out OK.

Yeah, it did come outta nowhere, especially so soon after the gameplay reveal and the announcement that the game was 60% complete. It's a bit odd, but I'll still keep an eye on it.
ChestPains

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:44 am Reply with quote
Like most people have said elsewhere, it sounds like Platinum saying "We've finished the gameplay as was expected of us, please look forward to Cygames' product in the future".

Nothing much, it is weird they announced it though. Probably to let people know they're "free"?
S0crates

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this is actually good news as it turned out Platinum Games was called in to do Nier:Automata 2

*fingers crossed*
VImistXI

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Still buying it since platinum games had a hand in it.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:36 pm Reply with quote
S0crates wrote:
Maybe this is actually good news as it turned out Platinum Games was called in to do Nier:Automata 2

*fingers crossed*

If I remember correctly, due to the success of Nier Automata, Square Enix intends to do the next Nier follow-up in-house, so there's no guarantee that Platinum Games will be involved.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:04 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
S0crates wrote:

*fingers crossed*

If I remember correctly, due to the success of Nier Automata, Square Enix intends to do the next Nier follow-up in-house, so there's no guarantee that Platinum Games will be involved.

Because that worked so well for Drakengard 3 and the first Neir.
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:10 am Reply with quote
From what I've been told by people who have experience with the Japanese Game industry this is not uncommon when a studio is contracted to do part of the work. Normally we would not have even heard that a second studio outside of Cygames was working on the game until after it came out, but Platinum Games is a very popular studio right now so it was likely mentioned to drum up interest as can be seen in this comment section. What this means is that PG was contracted to complete a portion of the game, likely all the heavy lifting with the combat system and what not, and now that they are done the game is handed back to Cygames to finish off with their part of it and it is a signal that Platinum Games has no further part in the development of the game and are removed from it so they are not on the hook for the game for things like DLC or anything that comes after. Everything will now be left for Cygames to handle internally.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:08 pm Reply with quote
switchgear1131 wrote:
From what I've been told by people who have experience with the Japanese Game industry this is not uncommon when a studio is contracted to do part of the work.

It's still pretty unusual for them to announce the end of their work now, and remove any mention of Platinum from the website (and of the game from Platinum's site, beyond the PR release), isn't it?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:51 pm Reply with quote
This game looks so good whenever it's gotten shown. I just need it to freaking actually come out in the end. This better actually get completed so we can finally get to play it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1