• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pastel Memories Anime Halts Streaming of 1st 2 Episodes, Changes Home Video Release

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote
HIDIVE is also streaming this show.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I see even less people buying this series now. They should do a preorder count to see if it's even worth the trouble to release.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh, this will be interesting to compare once the BD box is out.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Not unexpected but still disheartening. Japan needs to lighten up.
nDroae

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:26 pm Reply with quote
It'll be easy to make changes to episode 1, since the GochiUsa parody manga only showed up at the very end of it.

Episode 2 was the highpoint of the show for me, because it made the most delightfully bizarre changes to the "source material" by having the in-universe "virus" turn the theme of rabbits (usagi) into eels (unagi). https://imgur.com/a/ZQQ82TX Since then it's become gradually less out-there. Episode 3 put the gothic lolita dolls of Rozen Maiden into tracksuits. Episodes 4, 5 and 6 did Ro-Kyu-Bu, The Ryuo's Work is Never Done, and Hamtaro, but in those cases the show simply added monsters to those worlds (and generically turned hamsters into monsters) rather than changing anything in a silly unexpected way, which had been what I'd hoped would happen based on episode 2.

Thanks to Japanese law, that kind of specific parody is rare enough that, at least when applied to something much less iconic than Gundam or Dragon Ball, I welcome it - even at this inane Friedberg/Seltzer level. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Friedberg_and_Aaron_Seltzer#Filmography
dcmc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:18 am Reply with quote
Huh,I was under the impression that all the parodies they done was within the knowledge&permission of the right holders,apparently it's not?
They were asking for troubles then.
unready

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
... Japan does not have a parody exception or provision in its copyright law. ...

So since the show contains other parody material, but only these two episodes are affected, does that mean the copyright holders of Is the Order a Rabbit? specifically complained? If this was lawyers getting antsy about imagined possible future lawsuits, I'd think the whole series would have disappeared into a black hole, not just the first two episodes.

nDroae wrote:
... spoiler[https://imgur.com/a/ZQQ82TX] ...

Dude, for posting a link to a screenshot, the National Police have filed for a John Doe extradition to prosecute you, then they'll have you declared persona non grata and expelled. Oh no! I reposted it. Now I'm screwed, too. Well, for hosting the link, ANN should be shuttered within the week. Doom. Everybody dies. The End
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1