• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Video: Perfect Blue Comparison Clip

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:24 am Reply with quote
I watched the video, but I didn't see much difference.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:53 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

The difference is about £70.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:42 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Join the party.
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
The difference is about £70.

Lmao you're not wrong there, feels like AL are trying to pull another Cowboy Bebop screw-over again. Rolling Eyes

In general I like what they do but lately a theme of F U to early adopters seems to be emerging. They make a CE then later on decide to do a better "Ultimate Edition" version and don't have the decency to offer any sort of trade in program.

As much as I don't want to admit it though the new remaster does have noticably increased picture quality. I can definitely see reduced image noise and flickering, overall it just looks cleaner.

As for trying to resell it at AoA prices, I'll be giving it a HARD pass. Evil or Very Mad
Hanners

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:53 am Reply with quote
[quote="Chaos Wings"]In general I like what they do but lately a theme of F U to early adopters seems to be emerging. They make a CE then later on decide to do a better "Ultimate Edition" version and don't have the decency to offer any sort of trade in program.

It's worth noting that our original Perfect Blue release hit retail in November 2013, well over 5 years ago - it would be highly unusual to offer a trade-in programme for a five year old home video release, to be quite honest.

On a personal note as a point of comparison, I'm currently building a 4K UHD Blu-ray collection, and I haven't been able to trade-in any of my Blu-rays for their UHD equivalents in any shape or form...

Chaos Wings wrote:
As much as I don't want to admit it though the new remaster does have noticably increased picture quality. I can definitely see reduced image noise and flickering, overall it just looks cleaner.

Just to address people's thoughts on video quality. it's worth noting that the original film elements from Perfect Blue have, sadly, been destroyed and are thus no longer available, so any additional work on remastering or otherwise restoring the film has to be made using existing masters.

That said - and as someone who has watched both versions of the film for QC checking myself - I'd suggest that there's a significant improvement to video quality with our new Blu-ray, in the form of a cleaner, clearer and thus more detailed picture with improved colour reproduction. While this doesn't resolve all of the issues we would all have liked to see improved upon in an ideal world, it's still a clear upgrade to our eyes and enhances the viewing experience notably.

We're currently working on trying to put together some comparative screenshots to give people further information (which can be tricky in terms of finding identical or near-identical frames for comparison purposes) away from the likes of YouTube where transcoding can impact quality compared to what you'll see on the Blu-ray. As a quick side-by-side comparison to give a single example, you can take a look at this link:

http://www.framecompare.com/screenshotcomparison/1E1FNNNU
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1