Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Adds Evangelion Anime Worldwide on June 21


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 7787
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:13 pm Reply with quote
They make us wait this long for an announcement of when this is coming, and then the trailer is just this 90s AMV crap that doesn't even show off the new English dub? And it doesn't come out until the end of June?

Way to go, Netflix. You should have just had somebody on camera flipping us the bird and saying, "Whenever we feel like it, dorks!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CatSword



Joined: 01 Jul 2014
Posts: 1234
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Funny how it was announced for spring and comes out on the first day of summer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
angelmcazares
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4303
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I am fine with the June drop. My real concern with Netflix having Evangelion is the prospect of never seeing the series and End of Evangelion on localized Blu-rays.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Kougeru



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 4305
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:56 pm Reply with quote
They said Spring originally.... it's 20 years old. It can't be this hard to put it on there. They making another error-filled subtitle track and new dub?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
1dbad



Joined: 12 Jul 2015
Posts: 497
Location: Texas
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:18 pm Reply with quote
According to this Tweet of Amanda Winn Lee's (Rei's original VA), the new dub has an entirely different cast: https://twitter.com/amandawinnlee/status/1109279696347291648

Sad the confirmation had to come from her rather than Netflix itself. They waited this long to announce a delay and couldn't even be bothered to give us a taste of the new dub? I'm still looking forward to the Netflix release, but talk about poor advertising.

angelmcazares wrote:
I am fine with the June drop. My real concern with Netflix having Evangelion is the prospect of never seeing the series and End of Evangelion on localized Blu-rays.

I think Blu-rays are still possible. But we'll likely be waiting 2-3 years for them due to Netflix's contract.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Levonr



Joined: 19 Nov 2003
Posts: 669
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:31 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
According to this Tweet of Amanda Winn Lee's (Rei's original VA), the new dub has an entirely different cast: https://twitter.com/amandawinnlee/status/1109279696347291648


I love this news, really want a new take on an Evangelion dub. I'm not a fan of the ADV dub.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
GeorgeC



Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 750
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:38 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
They make us wait this long for an announcement of when this is coming, and then the trailer is just this 90s AMV crap that doesn't even show off the new English dub? And it doesn't come out until the end of June?

Way to go, Netflix. You should have just had somebody on camera flipping us the bird and saying, "Whenever we feel like it, dorks!"


There's a time and place for criticism but if you do it constantly--!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KitKat1721



Joined: 03 Feb 2015
Posts: 191
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:41 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
According to this Tweet of Amanda Winn Lee's (Rei's original VA), the new dub has an entirely different cast: https://twitter.com/amandawinnlee/status/1109279696347291648

My best guess is that Studio Khara/the production company does not have the rights to the old dub. I'm all for a new, revamped dub, but if Netflix had been able to, including the old dub as an option (there's usually like at least 5 different language options for most of Netflix's programming, including anime) would have been incredibly easy to do, and please everyone (a la Discotek's release of Castle of Cagliostro or Funimation's Vision of Escaflowne set).

I guess we'll know for sure if there ever is a blu-ray release (another anime added to the netflix list of "please I need a blu-ray of this").
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnnysasaki



Joined: 01 Jun 2014
Posts: 602
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:46 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
1dbad wrote:
According to this Tweet of Amanda Winn Lee's (Rei's original VA), the new dub has an entirely different cast: https://twitter.com/amandawinnlee/status/1109279696347291648

My best guess is that Studio Khara/the production company does not have the rights to the old dub. I'm all for a new, revamped dub, but if Netflix had been able to, including the old dub as an option (there's usually like at least 5 different language options for most of Netflix's programming, including anime) would have been incredibly easy to do, and please everyone (a la Discotek's release of Castle of Cagliostro or Funimation's Vision of Escaflowne set).

I guess we'll know for sure if there ever is a blu-ray release (another anime added to the netflix list of "please I need a blu-ray of this").


Netflix is also producing a new dub for Latin America in both Spanish and Portuguese...making this the THIRD dub the series gets there in in 20 years since the first dub came out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lizuka



Joined: 27 Jul 2018
Posts: 54
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Honestly the idea of redubbing it completely kills any interest I might have in it. It's certainly an aged dub but it's a very distinct one and I think it'd be taking away something from the show not to have it.

And really I have zero clue what's supposed to be accomplished from redubbing it. It seems like a move that by and large can do nothing but tick people off; I can't imagine anyone who hasn't seen or at least isn't aware of EVA would care about it given by now it's been ripped off so much there's barely anything special to it, most old fans probably would be opposed, and plenty of people would probably just as soon watch the sub. It seems like it's spending extra money entirely to tick people off.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GNPixie



Joined: 25 Jul 2018
Posts: 49
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I felt like the original dub aged incredibly poorly, especially come the movies and those last few episodes so I'm all for a new dub with a completely new cast with (hopefully) better scripting.

This is the first big show that was popular that had a US dub that's getting recasted, right? It's kind of amusing that it took that long, given Canada's had several complete redubs over the years, even ones that hit mid-season. Derek Stephen Prince doing a Matt Hill impression is something that needs to be seen.

Lizuka wrote:

And really I have zero clue what's supposed to be accomplished from redubbing it. It seems like a move that by and large can do nothing but tick people off; I can't imagine anyone who hasn't seen or at least isn't aware of EVA would care about it given by now it's been ripped off so much there's barely anything special to it, most old fans probably would be opposed, and plenty of people would probably just as soon watch the sub. It seems like it's spending extra money entirely to tick people off.


Same reason Sunrise seems to like redubbing Gundam shows in the States now if I had to guess. Because they can?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cardcaptor Takato



Joined: 27 Jan 2018
Posts: 1394
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:02 am Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
This is the first big show that was popular that had a US dub that's getting recasted, right? It's kind of amusing that it took that long, given Canada's had several complete redubs over the years, even ones that hit mid-season. Derek Stephen Prince doing a Matt Hill impression is something that needs to be seen.
There have been some redubs of Streamline movie dubs over the years like Akira and My Neighbor Totoro and there was ADV's uncut redubs of Macross and Gatchaman. I already have the Evangelion TV series on DVD though I don't have the original movies and I don't have strong feelings towards the original dub either way, so the redub doesn't really effect me that much. I'm more disappointed if this means we'll have to wait a few years to get a BD release if we get one at all as I would like to have physical copies of the original movies as I missed out on them the first time through.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Levonr



Joined: 19 Nov 2003
Posts: 669
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:22 am Reply with quote
Lizuka wrote:

And really I have zero clue what's supposed to be accomplished from redubbing it. It seems like a move that by and large can do nothing but tick people off; I can't imagine anyone who hasn't seen or at least isn't aware of EVA would care about it given by now it's been ripped off so much there's barely anything special to it, most old fans probably would be opposed, and plenty of people would probably just as soon watch the sub. It seems like it's spending extra money entirely to tick people off.


I've heard of many who haven't seen Evangelion that are looking forward to watching it on Netflix. While I find the Japanese cast to really hold up, the ADV dub on the other hand sounds very dated & poor quality I find. Newer viewers could be turned off a rough dub.

I'm a fan of James Rolfe(Angry Video Game Nerd) and he never saw it saying he might even make a video on it when its released on Netflix. That would be interesting since while he isn't big into anime he does like kaiju.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TheMorry



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 519
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:23 am Reply with quote
Calling June 21 spring is stretching it a lil.... I still haven't seen the original dub yet. Is it any good? or dated?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steve Minecraft



Joined: 13 Feb 2019
Posts: 120
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:22 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
I've heard of many who haven't seen Evangelion that are looking forward to watching it on Netflix. While I find the Japanese cast to really hold up, the ADV dub on the other hand sounds very dated & poor quality I find. Newer viewers could be turned off a rough dub.


I never watched the show dubbed, I originally saw it subbed, but I looked into the dub and it's pretty mediocre from the clips I saw. A modern dub would totally be welcome to new viewers, especially a big company like Netflix who probably have higher standards than a small dubbing company in the 90s.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group