• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon: Detective Pikachu Film Reveals 4 Ad Clips

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danpmss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:17 am Reply with quote
This looks hilarious, I really see myself having a blast if the movie is at least half as entertaining as the ads and trailers.
CheerSong

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:08 am Reply with quote
Getting a little tired of fact-checking this.

Japanese release date is May 3.
Shooting began in London in January 2018, not this year as ambiguously implied.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:45 am Reply with quote
That's a nice movie, but i cannot believe its PG by MPAA instead of being G-Rated, even Pikachu says Oh My God!, something that Pokemon in the franchise should never use the religious word (except for Japan). Mad
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:58 am Reply with quote
CheerSong wrote:
Getting a little tired of fact-checking this.

Japanese release date is May 3.
Shooting began in London in January 2018, not this year as ambiguously implied.

The article has been corrected
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
That's a nice movie, but i cannot believe its PG by MPAA instead of being G-Rated, even Pikachu says Oh My God!, something that Pokemon in the franchise should never use the religious word (except for Japan). Mad

Pikachu has a bit of a foul mouth in this movie...he says the phrase "GET ME THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" so that was part of the reason it went PG.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
Aca Vuksa wrote:

Pikachu has a bit of a foul mouth in this movie...he says the phrase "GET ME THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" so that was part of the reason it went PG.

This one is gonna damage its reputation of being an unchildren and unfamily-friendly franchise.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
This one is gonna damage its reputation of being an unchildren and unfamily-friendly franchise.

People have been complaining about Pokemon's effect on children for decades and yet the series has trucked on for 2 1/2 decades just fine. Don't expect this to change anything.
danpmss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
Aca Vuksa wrote:

I mean, the amount of sexual innuendo and occasional soft "cursing" the later games had from Gen 3 and above only increased. They know most of the people following the franchise are in their early to mid 20s at this point, some light cursing in the movie isn't really going to change much from what the main game series already have.
megazero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Pikachu reminds me of furry Sonic the Hedgehog.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:25 am Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
Aca Vuksa wrote:

Pokemon was never family-friendly to begin with, atleast by American standards. The early seasons of the TV series were peppered with risque gags in the Japanese version, like Brock hitting on teenage girls and boob jokes involving Misty. There's also that infamous beauty contest episode where James poses as a female contestant with fake breasts. These were of course cut or written out of the English dub, which most international versions are based on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1