• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Japanese School Kids Really Get To Go On Class Trips?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if they still do it but when I was in the last year of primary school in the UK (10-11 years old) we had a week long class trip to France.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
I don't know if they still do it but when I was in the last year of primary school in the UK (10-11 years old) we had a week long class trip to France.

Well, it is pretty easy when Schengen pretty much abolishes borders for those living within EU. A privilege UK soon won't have anymore...
Triltaison

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:

I had a 5th grade class trip of one week to a 4H camp in the mountains, an 8th grade class trip of one week to Disney World for the band/chorus/orchestra participants, and I had two separate class trips in high school (one to Universal's Islands of Adventure and MGM Studios for the film class for 5 days and one to various countries in Europe for 28 days with students in the Honors program). There was fundraising for all of those if needed, but I don't know about Japan.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:43 pm Reply with quote
A Brexit might make it a little bit less easy, but nothing that would stop a school trip to the continent.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:

Cool. Only trips we got offered were for Geography or History A-level, aged 17. Although the trip was suppose to be coursework (my class were down Dorset) we spent most of the time getting pissed.

I miss the good old days (mid 2000s) before the government started cracking down on underage drinking. Very Happy
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, those train rides to go on standard-looking tours in Kyoto seemed a whole lot more likely than one where they fly everyone to Okinawa just to play at the beach. I have to figure a school would say that is what summer break is for.

I have to think the schools are paying for it. Granted, I'm relying on fiction here, but plenty of shows have poor students without it being a big deal. Plus, Persona 4 involves a class trip where two grades are included because the small school can't afford to do it more often than every other year.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:05 pm Reply with quote
No class trips at my school. The closest we got to anything like that was a plan when I was in 5th grade to see some docudrama movie, but the movies-are-a-sin parents put their foot down, so even that didn't happen.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:21 pm Reply with quote
If you go to Kyoto, groups of schoolchildren on a school trip are a pretty common sight.

TarsTarkas wrote:
A Brexit might make it a little bit less easy, but nothing that would stop a school trip to the continent.

Indeed, the more accurate (but still fundamentally trolly) reaction would be to say that Brexit would restore the school trip to France or Italy to the status of exciting event requiring a passport instead of humdrum. This would thus prevent the need to go on longer international trips to stave off boredom among the students, an important consideration in a world where we're all concerned about climate change, considering the emissions from international travel.
Scherzo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:41 pm Reply with quote
My School would do a couple of camping trips a year, and on top of that there were planned Senior Trips. My Senior Trip was to Las Angeles, which was pretty neat.
chronos02

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:46 pm Reply with quote
At our school we had class trips once per year, to a cultural-rich location or set of locations, though we went there not just to have fun, but to study too. Many people dreaded the class trips since the amount of work was simply too much for the 5 days we had, this included a 20 to 30 page diary explaining the locations we visited and the activities we did there, summaries of the explanations we got from guides, maps that had to be filled with the paths we took and the location names as well as other POIs, etc. We essentially had a bunch of exercises to do for every subject we had in school, some of them in foreign languages, as well as some double dips for things like summaries which we had to do both in our language and other languages we were studying. I believe one time we even had to read a book during the trip and deliver a summary to the teacher once the trip ended, meaning we had to read it, write the report and deliver it within the trip's duration.

Fortunately, the trips we did for our final year in grade, middle and high-school were mostly for the fun and memories, we didn't have to do any reports or diaries, at most we had a few guides to show us around (I forgot about grade school, but we went to Prague for middle school and to Rome for High school).

The interesting thing, however, is that on those special trips, we had to earn the money it cost to do it by ourselves during the school's anniversary week, which allowed anyone to enter it, kind of like the school festivals you see in anime. I always felt we ripped off people with the exorbitant prices we put things at, but they don't seem all that expensive now that I think back (like a 2€ cake slice, or a 1€ juice). It was a bit tough though, since there was no student council whatsoever in our school, and the school itself didn't organise things nor did they keep track of the earnings, so each class had to improvise (one time someone lost the 2,000€ we made, though in the end it turned out to be a case of misplacement), and no, they didn't do that for our future "independence", they simply didn't put much thought into it.

I also remember many schools didn't have week-long class trips, most public schools didn't, and private ones usually only had skiing trips during winter. I'm not sure how things are today, but I feel like the trips they have in most anime are certainly much better than what we had (safe for the long distance travel).
consignia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Ushio wrote:

Well, it is pretty easy when Schengen pretty much abolishes borders for those living within EU. A privilege UK soon won't have anymore...

UK (And Ireland) aren't in Schengen. Not that it makes future prospects any less lamentable.

Maybe it was the area I was from, but there were loads of week long school trips in a similar style to the Japanese ones. Replace Kyoto with Conway in North Wales, or Okinawa with a camp in Lake Kielder. And optional skiing trips to France or the US if your family was rich enough.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I remember a Japanese poster, during the Usenet days, asking us stateside fans, "Where do YOU go, on your class trips?"

And we got to do the long explanation of how US kids don't go on class trips (unless they're on the band or cheerleading squads, and have to wash cars or sell chocolate bars for that), and have this thing called a "School prom" for their senior blast instead...Sort of like the "Last-night-of-the-festival dance", which we don't have either.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Went to what has been considered the best public high school in NY, and lol at anything even like a class trip over multiple days. Good luck trying to corral the close to 900 students in our year. I think the closest anyone ever got to one was overnight trips to some sort of academic competition maybe a short distance upstate if you were on like the Robotics Team or Math Team, though I think even that was rare.

The closest thing I can consider a class trip that happened to me were annual end of the year day trips to a local amusement park in middle school (Six Flags in Jersey for the seniors, Rye Playland for everyone else). And even then, we had to pay for at least some portion of it. Oh, and the Earth Science classes from the accelerated curriculum in my middle school got an overnight trip to a state park to study rocks or something to that effect, which was pretty fun I guess. First time I ever slept in a sleeping bag, in the cabins in that state park, because they told us we couldn’t trust the mattresses hey had there.

Last edited by GhostStalkerSA on Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:35 am; edited 3 times in total
Kyjin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I ran into school trip groups in Japan all the time when I lived there. Especially in Kyoto; I swear I'm always there during school trip season. (Trying to cram on one of the buses with a ton of high schoolers is no fun.) The groups are less noticeable in Tokyo, but that might be because I didn't tend to hang around touristy spots.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
partially

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, class trips in Australia aren't all that unusual. Although they are year group trips usually not class. However, it really depends on the school and the situation. At larger schools, it will be class trips. They are becoming less common primarily because of insurance reasons, meaning many schools are becoming reluctant because of the risk of accidents and medical incidents. Liability these days puts a lot of responsibility on teachers in charge, and many just aren't willing to deal with that anymore, unfortunately.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3