• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Isekai Cheat Magician Anime Reveals July Premiere, More Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:56 am Reply with quote
Is that 4 isekai shows for this summer now?
marek1712

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:34 am Reply with quote
People still watch these? Really? Why everyone's so stuck on making isekai?
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:36 am Reply with quote
marek1712 wrote:

Because someone's making a bunch of money off them. Clearly it's not the animators or the production assistants though.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:04 pm Reply with quote
marek1712 wrote:
I can say the same thing about the shounen jump craze a decade ago. I understood that people watch Dragon ball Z despite the series ending before many of them were born. They are fans of the series, high demand = more supply. The same can be applied to Isekai, people just like ir.
Norm the genius

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:47 pm Reply with quote
StarfighterPegasus wrote:
marek1712 wrote:
I can say the same thing about the shounen jump craze a decade ago. I understood that people watch Dragon ball Z despite the series ending before many of them were born. They are fans of the series, high demand = more supply. The same can be applied to Isekai, people just like ir.

Exactly shonen has existed for much longer, is much more mainstream and barely present changes since dragon ball, and despite everything does not have the same disapproval as the isekais, although the isekai has several positive things like being much better in terms of worldbuilding, but the complaint of all the people is that the protagonist always is OverPower.
However the protagonists of shounen are also OP although they deny it, they are special like goku that is an race alien of super warriors or naruto that is the incarnation of a ninja demigod, but of course these shows always try to deceive them making us believe that they are losers when not it's true,
that is why the shounen seems worse to me because it is never honest, always try to give that message of self-improvement, but it is a hypocrisy because in the end only those who were blessed with unique and special qualities achieve their dreams, if goku was only a human he would be a loser like krillin or yamcha. If Naruto did not have that prodigious offspring, he would have died.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Norm the genius wrote:
marek1712 wrote:

Exactly shonen has existed for much longer, is much more mainstream and barely present changes since dragon ball, and despite everything does not have the same disapproval as the isekais, although the isekai has several positive things like being much better in terms of worldbuilding, but the complaint of all the people is that the protagonist always is OverPower.
However the protagonists of shounen are also OP although they deny it, they are special like goku that is an race alien of super warriors or naruto that is the incarnation of a ninja demigod, but of course these shows always try to deceive them making us believe that they are losers when not it's true,
that is why the shounen seems worse to me because it is never honest, always try to give that message of self-improvement, but it is a hypocrisy because in the end only those who were blessed with unique and special qualities achieve their dreams, if goku was only a human he would be a loser like krillin or yamcha. If Naruto did not have that prodigious offspring, he would have died.

Or anime fans could just avoid bashing each other and the interests of their fellow anime fans...but unfortunately I know that's likely asking for too much.

Anime is entertainment, some people enjoy the entertainment you dislike. That doesn't make their preferences better or worse than yours.

I'm not here to get into any conflicts, so I take my bow and say have a nice day everyone. Watch whatever anime makes you happy.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:17 am Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Is that 4 isekai shows for this summer now?

Looks like, yeah -- Arifureta, Maou-sama Retry, Do You Love Your Mom, and now this. Three of the four are Narou anime, too -- as such, I've updated the spreadsheet.

I'm honestly surprised they're adapting a series that was first published six years before. If you look at the spreadsheet, that'll be a longer LN-to-anime interval than any other Narou series that's been animated, even Shield Hero, and that had some special circumstances surrounding it (Crunchyroll knew that fan translations had been popular in the Anglosphere). Is the source material for this show popular in China or something? Who's on the production committee?
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:35 am Reply with quote
Norm the genius wrote:
marek1712 wrote:

I agree, people keep complaining about Isekai having OP characters, who are one dimensional self inserts but will then fight tooth and nail if you say characters like Goku or Naruto are also overpowered. They also wonder why we keep getting more isekai. Because it is an escape its comfort from a hard day at work or school a moment's reprieve. Its also flexible. We see things like I was reincarnated as a Vending Machine. Its just harmless fun. Battle Shounen fans had their day in the sun, let Isekai enjoy theirs
Norm the genius

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:04 am Reply with quote
@Hobosoup I respect the tastes of others. I only criticized shounen animes because many people do the opposite of what you say and are arrogant with the supposed superiority of their anime, for example, the shounen, although they are far from perfect.
CycloneSP

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote
the main problem that isekai has that isn't as commonly present in other genres is the fact that in isekai, most protagonists are spared any kind of real struggle due to the nature of their overpoweredness, not the fact that they are simply overpowered.

for a lot of people to enjoy a show, they need to not only be able to connect to a character, but they need to see the character struggle in moments of adversity. It's that struggle that makes their eventual triumph so much more satisfying, and the lack thereof is what makes the isekai genre feel so hollow in comparison.

This is also what some isekai can do well despite having an all powerful protagonist is because they shift the focus. Take the slime anime that came out recently, instead of focusing all of the 'trials' on combat when the character is inherently overpowered in that area, the story shifted it's focus to politics and world building, something the protagonist did not have any specific advantages in. But this is only marginally successful, as it relies on strong characters and good comedic timing to make it work.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:25 pm Reply with quote
There has been some notable isekai shows where the MC does face trials or I feel like they're fairly evenly powered over the years like Re:Zero, Grimgar, and Log Horizon. It feels like most of the isekai shows where the MC is too powerful are not that popular like the Smartphone show. Or if they are popular there's usually some twist to keep it fresh like the aforementioned Slime show and even Demon Lord had some interesting ideas to it. I think the big difference between shonen and isekai is shonen is written for younger kids and so they use the stories of characters overcoming trials to teach important values to kids whereas isekai is written for older otaku audiences and tends to be more pure escapist fantasy. But for me the appeal of isekai is when they take the familiar formula and put an interesting twist on it and I think there's more hidden gems in the modern isekai genre than is sometimes given credit for .
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I agree with you Cardcaptor, battle shounen and Isekai are different and also the same in many respects like escapism. Though I never really understood why isekai is taking the world by storm now but when shounen tried to do it in the mid 2000s they weren't as successful leading to a decline, Naruto, DBZ, One Peice and Bleach were the few ones that actually stuck while many floundered. Waas the market demand not high enough back then?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure I would agree that shonen series failed to take the world by storm. Every year Crunchyroll puts out end of the year charts that show what the most popular streaming shows are by country. Every year shonen shows continue to dominate the charts. My Hero Academia is presently the best selling manga in the US and continues to win repeatedly at the Crunchyroll awards. While maybe not as big as it once was, Attack on Titan is still pretty popular, and The Promised Neverland did well enough to get a second season and a Toonami broadcast. Even Black Clover is still pretty popular in spite of the criticisms it gets sometimes. While isekai series do have a very vocal fanbase, besides a few mainstream hits like Sword Art Online (which is technically MMORPG but is still lumped with the genre) and Re:Zero, isekai is still mostly only popular within devoted otaku circles.
Norm the genius

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:59 am Reply with quote
@StarfighterPegasus What are you talking about? if the shounen is infinitely more popular dragon ball is an almost global phenomenon, naruto is also a strong exponent in the decade of the 2000
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:18 am Reply with quote
They dust off this story? I've been reading the manga, but from way this read the story itself (started 2012) is old one, the author updating it? Is he still making it?

The character design doesn't quite match the manga, the main characters are more mature.
Hopefully it will be good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2