Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Kemono Friends, Honey & Clover, Ayakashi, Sorcerer Hunters Anime


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 7810
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Kind of weird that they licensed the single worst Lupin III TV special. But whatever. Giant Robo is coming soon!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dm
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 24 Sep 2010
Posts: 404
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Honey and Clover just showed up on Crunchyroll, too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
hissatsu01



Joined: 08 May 2006
Posts: 936
Location: NYC
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:10 am Reply with quote
Nice that someone's releasing Ayakashi again on BD, but it's a shame they can't do what the Japanese BD of release of Mononoke did, include the Bakeneko portion of Ayakashi. It's very unusual to include a portion of a separate series (that's a separate license) but it was the perfect way to do it, as they go together seamlessly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VampireNaomi



Joined: 30 Aug 2010
Posts: 111
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:36 am Reply with quote
I think The Last Job is solid and I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected after so many people told me it's terrible. I'm glad to be able to pick it up, even as I was hoping that the next one would be Stolen Lupin or Dragon of Doom.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GeorgeC



Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 757
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:04 am Reply with quote
VampireNaomi wrote:
I think The Last Job is solid and I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected after so many people told me it's terrible. I'm glad to be able to pick it up, even as I was hoping that the next one would be Stolen Lupin or Dragon of Doom.


I'm with you.
I would like to see more of Lupin III and released.
I've seen most of the Lupin III releases in the West and NOTHING after the first TV series has been as bad an experience for me as THAT was so I take criticisms of later films, specials, and TV series with a grain of salt.

Nice user avatar, btw!
She's one of my favorite anime characters... Number one on my list of the female characters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jayhosh



Joined: 24 May 2013
Posts: 956
Location: Millmont, Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:35 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
I've seen most of the Lupin III releases in the West and NOTHING after the first TV series has been as bad an experience for me as THAT was so I take criticisms of later films, specials, and TV series with a grain of salt.


Wait, you didn’t like Part 1? Why?? It’s one of my favorite Lupin series. Certainly much better than a good chuck of the later tv specials at the very least.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MarshalBanana



Joined: 31 Aug 2014
Posts: 3444
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:50 am Reply with quote
Why isn't Sorcerer Hunters in HD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont



Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Posts: 1857
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:03 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Why isn't Sorcerer Hunters in HD.

Because it was never remastered for HD in Japan or even released upscaled on BD. The former should theoretically be possible though if they still have the cels left. If.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NJ_



Joined: 31 Oct 2009
Posts: 2033
Location: Wallington, NJ
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:46 am Reply with quote
Also announced at Anime North:

City Hunter: Shinjuku Private Eyes is getting an English dub.

dm wrote:
Honey and Clover just showed up on Crunchyroll, too.


And they use the Viz masters & subs, this is part of the reason Mike Toole went into detail on the new release at the panel because the Viz DVDs were really bad and when people caught it at Crunchyroll, they were not happy.

Blanchimont wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Why isn't Sorcerer Hunters in HD.

Because it was never remastered for HD in Japan or even released upscaled on BD. The former should theoretically be possible though if they still have the cels left. If.


And if the latter happened then it would probably look bad given King Records' track record with upscales (see the Yuzo Takada titles and most recently with Slayers).


Last edited by NJ_ on Sun May 26, 2019 6:34 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rahzel rose
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 19 Apr 2011
Posts: 628
Location: New York
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:01 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Nice that someone's releasing Ayakashi again on BD, but it's a shame they can't do what the Japanese BD of release of Mononoke did, include the Bakeneko portion of Ayakashi. It's very unusual to include a portion of a separate series (that's a separate license) but it was the perfect way to do it, as they go together seamlessly.


These are my feelings too, but also I'm just so glad I'll be able to own this arc of the series again. I had bought the individual DVD for it waaaay back and it disappeared somewhere which made me sad. Now if only Mononoke would get a Blu-Ray release . . .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marek1712



Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 116
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:16 am Reply with quote
SD Blu-Ray? Bleh, even though I'd like to get the discs.

Ayakashi has proper HD version or is that an upscale?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. sickVisionz



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 2040
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:42 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised Discotek got KFriends. I don't follow anime zeitgeist closely anymore, but I got the impression that show was like a smash hit. I always associate Discotek with licensing smash hits from 40 years ago as opposed to today's biggest and most popular titles.

NJ_ wrote:
And if the latter happened then it would probably look bad given King Records' track record with upscales (see the Yuzo Takada titles and most recently with Slayers).


How does SD on Bluray show on on a TV though? If it literally just triggers a 1080 or 4K television to drop to a 480 based resolution, that'll look significantly worse than something upscaled with some type of processing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
NJ_



Joined: 31 Oct 2009
Posts: 2033
Location: Wallington, NJ
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:50 am Reply with quote
marek1712 wrote:
Ayakashi has proper HD version or is that an upscale?


Nope, I believe Hataraki Man was the first Noitamina show to air in HD and considering Ayakashi (and Honey & Clover) aired before it, it's most likely SD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FireChick



Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 1497
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm surprised Discotek got KFriends. I don't follow anime zeitgeist closely anymore, but I got the impression that show was like a smash hit. I always associate Discotek with licensing smash hits from 40 years ago as opposed to today's biggest and most popular titles.


They usually do. They're just branching out. Besides, old school titles can only make so much money for them. I am surprised they've started dubbing shows now. I hope this new endeavor works out for them! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KitKat1721



Joined: 03 Feb 2015
Posts: 202
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:27 am Reply with quote
Yay, definitely ready to upgrade my old dvds for Honey and Clover! I do remember finding two of the three out-of-print sets for super cheap at a con a couple years ago, which I was pretty psyched about.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group