• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: IGN: Catherine: Full Body Game's English Release Changes Deadname Credits

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they at least seem to be taking steps to address it.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:08 pm Reply with quote
More censorship for the easily offended.
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Not again... Mad
Jhechav

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate that they're doing this. You can't call changing the character name in the credits "censorship." Maybe you can about the other stuff, but not that. People are too easily offended by people being offended by things. Endless cycle.
cyborgkiddo

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
More censorship for the easily offended.

It seems like you were the one offended

Removed insult-LL
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Jhechav wrote:
You can't call changing the character name in the credits "censorship." Maybe you can about the other stuff, but not that..

Yeah, one thing is the name in the credits (which I can understand) but another completely different thing is to change the lines of a character because it can be offensive. Like, why?! The character is supposed to be made in a way, you may agree or disagree with him on many things but that's how it is made. You can't just change it to your liking, if you are offended by that, then you better play another game.
sunglasses24

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Never apologize to a mob.

Too many people have begged for Atlus USA to do something in this situation, and the moment they do, people claim it's not "good enough" and that more must be done on Atlus USA's part to address "transphobia" in their company. I'm mostly referring to some tweets that I saw discussing this situation.

I personally feel that Atlus USA should have approached this the same way that Atlus JP did.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I am not surprised. America is much more uptight about these issues than Japan is.
I hear how often stuff like this is changed in American translations of Japanese anime too. You can't show this stuff in America.
RealMTL

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Jhechav wrote:
I appreciate that they're doing this. You can't call changing the character name in the credits "censorship." Maybe you can about the other stuff, but not that. People are too easily offended by people being offended by things. Endless cycle.

At this point it's a no win scenario. People will be mad whether or not they changed it.
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Jhechav wrote:
People are too easily offended by people being offended by things. Endless cycle.

Accurate summation of things. If you're someone who is not trans or weren't upset in the first place, changing the deadname in the credits literally doesn't affect you in any way. It is, ironically, the definition of looking for something to be offended at.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:42 pm Reply with quote
sunglasses24 wrote:
I personally feel that Atlus USA should have approached this the same way that Atlus JP did.

If you go by the comments made by Atlus USA employees on Twitter, Atlus USA has been begging Atlus Japan to adopt American core values since Persona 4 Golden, but every time the Japanese side brushed them off and told them they will focus on the fans first and foremost and stick to the series Japanese roots they like.

I take it they got fed up and decided they would censor and change things themselves if Japan wasn't going to fall in line. It does makes you wonder how they're going to censor Persona 5 The Royal as well, given the same types of people complained a lot about that game as well.

I personally don't get the point of censoring things like this in localization. It doesn't suddenly make it canon. It's just trying to hide it away but everyone still knows they're there since it was announced publicly so it's not as if people aren't going to know what actually happens in the original version.
cyborgkiddo

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Why is everyone referring to this as censorship? It's not censorship. Censoring would be making Erica not trans, like Nintendo of America did to Vivian in Paper Mario. This is a small localisation change so as not to be pointlessly offensive to trans people. It's basic human decency and respect to a group of people who are rarely given any sort of human decency or respect. Why complain about it? It's a small change that does not affect you negatively in any way, and which affects a small group of people positively.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:15 pm Reply with quote
SkyLETV34 wrote:
Jhechav wrote:
You can't call changing the character name in the credits "censorship." Maybe you can about the other stuff, but not that..

Yeah, one thing is the name in the credits (which I can understand) but another completely different thing is to change the lines of a character because it can be offensive. Like, why?! The character is supposed to be made in a way, you may agree or disagree with him on many things but that's how it is made. You can't just change it to your liking, if you are offended by that, then you better play another game.

Sadly seems you can't make gray characters anymore in this era, every character gotta be an ideal person despite Vincent himself being shown to be very flawed person.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:37 pm Reply with quote
More pointless censorship to the minority whining on Twitter. And yes it is censorship. No one cares about the name change in the credits, it's the rewriting of the characters and dialog and ending so that it "doesn't offend people" who are still going to find ways to be offended anyways. Oh well, not going to buy the game then. Too bad you don't want our money Atlus, cancelling my pre-order. Keep your outside politics out of games, it's not going to help anyone.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:23 pm Reply with quote
cyborgkiddo wrote:
Why is everyone referring to this as censorship? It's not censorship. Censoring would be making Erica not trans, like Nintendo of America did to Vivian in Paper Mario. This is a small localisation change so as not to be pointlessly offensive to trans people. It's basic human decency and respect to a group of people who are rarely given any sort of human decency or respect. Why complain about it? It's a small change that does not affect you negatively in any way, and which affects a small group of people positively.

It's censorship because it changes the original dialogue and the story scenario from what it was and original intent. Who cares if it's offensive to some people? That's the personality of the character Vincent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6