• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fire Force (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:38 pm Reply with quote

Season 1 - Fire Force (TV)
Season 2 - Fire Force (TV2) (discussion starts here)

Genres: action, science fiction
Themes: firefighting

Plot Summary: In the year 198 of the Age of the Sun, Tokyo is a crowded cosmopolis. But the world's most populous city is threatened by devils that cause people to burst into flame at random. The only ones who can stop it are the Pyrofighters, a team of specialized firefighters. The young Shinra, blessed with the ability to ignite his feet and travel at the speed of a rocket, wants nothing more than to be a hero, and knows that this is the place for him. But he's not the best at following orders.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

That opening song! There's so much colorful content in that with fiery style. Looks amazing.

We got some info dump about fire combustion and the evil entities/infernals that are influenced by them from this episode. It seems to try and get viewers comfortable with the overall tone of the show. Also got a lot of characters introduced from the epsiode too, even a bit of Shirna's past. (cute that he wanted to be a hero even as a kid)

The most impressive thing about the show's premiere imo is the animation quality. So fluid and powerful with its details. I hope David Productions can keep up this sakuga quality honestly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:07 am Reply with quote
Why didn't the show pretty much just shout at us that his brother, Sho, was either the monster that burned down the home or at least taken by it? It wasn't really a bad start for such a shounen show, the character is better than the likes of Asta Seth that feel like they are similarly part of the shounen hero who is ostracised with devil like connection. Maybe could have done better than the "as you know" part, and that someone trying to be the hero could get someone killed in something all about a team. Or that one guy pretty much bullying him.
Sobe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:17 am Reply with quote
Yaoi (and BARA) FAN. GIRL. MODE. ON!!!!

AAHAHAHA not even 10 minutes in and there's already one golden moment that switched all of the Bara/Yaoi world on.

spoiler[ObiRa? Obi x Shinra Twisted Evil ]
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:07 am Reply with quote
David Productions work on this show far outshadowed the material it is adapting. Way too many flashbacks to Shinra's past, way too many shounen memes. (How many times do we have to hear him say "I want to be a hero?") Might stick around for a couple more episodes, but brilliant illustrations (that stained-glass window!) and animations won't be enough to keep me on-board.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:08 am Reply with quote
Wow.. that was bad. The Soul Eater guy continues to be a fan of Twin Peaks and Stephen King and he also fails to properly plot a story. Again. Here's how bad this world building is: Imagine if there was a bunch of people who developed various degrees of telekinetic powers while at the same time, people were dying from sudden neck snaps, Would it make sense for a non powered person to tell the telekinetics that part of their mission alongside using their powers to aid people is to figure out how these people keep dying? Mysteriously... from a distance? Like some power was used on them?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I personally thought that the introductory episode was pretty good. It definitely has my attention.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:18 am Reply with quote
4:

There's something missing in this show, and I'm not sure exactly how to describe. It's kinda... flat.

The deadpan humor, the action sequences, the atmosphere. Just... flat, I think. Normally shounen series have that synonymously sense of dynamism in them that makes them, well, shounen. Not here, and that leaves me wanting more from it.

It's tempting to blame the director for this, or even David Productions. I can imagine someone thinking "if only BONES had produced this". Could-haves aren't helpful unfortunately, and I have to be clear that it's not a bad show per se.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:32 pm Reply with quote
5:

god the trash talking and humor are so bad

I don't mind the info dump, it's actually one of the milder instances here. It's just how the overall execution that affects everything. One-shot scenes that don't mean everything. Bad trash talking (really bad trash talking, even for shounen).

For action sequences, I notice that the show is skimping a lot on the animation. That's why it lacks dynamism, and that's why for a shounen action series it feels really flat.

I'm not sure if the story is moving a little too fast. Maybe it is. This is a 24-episode series, so it has time to develop the story and characters. Yet I feel like they've dove right straight into the 5th unit when I just learned about them the previous episode.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:53 am Reply with quote
6:

I'm starting to see another problem: it's the heroism.

My Hero Academia set the bar high with the expectations of heroes. Yeah, "hero" has a strong ring to it but without anything to back it up, it's just some nice word to throw around. MHA showed (painstakingly) just what entails becoming a hero, so every time that that show uses the word, I know they really mean it and not just see it as some fancy label. Midoriya even treats the term with reverence, and he worked his way to essentially earn the title.

Not Fire Force. Not Shinra. He treats the word "hero" the same way Black Star did with "meister" in Soul Eater: with hubris. Why his obsession with heroes? Actually that's never been discussed. Right now he's that typical shounen protagonist who spouts big words and merely wings his fights. It's hard to empathize and root for a hero who hasn't worked and earned his way to become one.

At least I will say, the artwork in this episode is pretty. Animation's still the main issue, but is artwork is done right.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:25 pm Reply with quote
7:

I think I'm a little obsessed about the animation style.

It's tempting to associate anything shounen with BONES, and I had the impression that this show is like a poor man's example. But at the same time, this comparison hasn't really clicked with me right, and I've been wondering why. And then when Karim (aka a character who's weird for the sake of being weird) showed up, it hit me.

Rather than trying to emulate a BONES show, it's trying to be more like a SHAFT. The one-shot scenes, the deadpan humor, the fanservice, and now oddball characters. Yes, it all makes sense now.

Quote:
Thermo-acoustic cooling: it's a technique that converts the energy of flames into sound, and converts sound into cold. When you compress heat, you can convert it to sound. As sound abrades the air, it can be converted into cold.

You know how unsettling it is to intellectualize horseshit? Or like listening to that insufferable friend who tries to sound smart, but just ends up looking dumber than before? Yeah. Arthur be like "huh" and if I were there, I be like "don't even".
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:22 am Reply with quote
(made a typo in my previous post; back then it was still episode 7)

8:

Tamaki is this fumbling ball of fanservice that's taking the fall for every hijinks. I almost feel bad at how the show is exploiting her (maybe while enjoying it too).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 24 (season finale)

Seems kind of funny what my only post in this was after how truth was shown in this episode. I will say that it felt like the show got better as it went on, as it stopped having to establish its running gags and fill characters with fighting spirit, it just became more fun. Everything was just purposefully obscured so much, and treating rookies as needing to learn their lesson. I think that my favourite parts probably ended up involving Arthur, who could otherwise be insufferable, but things like him needing to convince himself that he looked knightly were pretty good. But also everyone's abilities shown off in an interesting way.

Rating this first season, I will say Good (7/10), it had parts where it got higher but did not overall push past just worth watching. Like really needing a girl who has bad luck in ending up in perverted situations like some ecchi harem main character, it being a female character did not change it that much to me.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:09 am Reply with quote
22-24:

5/10.

I know that the shounen action genre has some persistent bad habits. It's loud, tenacious, stubborn, predictable, and trite. Fire Force is very much like that, if it were a real person. The genre has been somewhat perfected by other series such as Kimetsu no Yaiba and My Hero Academia, because they took the long and hard route of building their world and characters painstakingly.

Fire Force? No. They had an interesting idea, but just wasted it with gratuitous fanservice and over-the-top character quirks. It throws around the word 'hero' so easily while other shows like KnY and Academia made so much effort giving weight to it. I don't see growth in their characters; they're silly just for the sake of it.

The only saving grace is the production values. I was having a field day putting my finger on its style, especially when it feels like a show that BONES should've produced. But David Production had their own style: it lacked dynamism due to constrained animation, but in return it gets consistency (as a counterpoint: Production I.G had several scenes that looked terrible in Psycho Pass 3). It feels like a cross between BONES and SHAFT; it wasn't amazing, but wasn't bad either. It kinda worked. Not as stylish as God Eater (creator Okubo's previous work), which I give credit to BONES, but it still worked in a way.

A second season should come as no surprise to anyone. I'm not too stoked for it, but who knows. Maybe I'll find it in me to watch it when it comes.
toprak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:47 am Reply with quote
Ep 1
Yes, I started today, it is similar other as Shounen series, I guess we'll see many fanservices as usual, hope we won't.

Last edited by toprak on Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4