• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Direct Impact [2019-09-05]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Tangent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:30 pm Reply with quote
What a Direct! I didn't know about Moon though. That game is one of the reasons I started learning Japanese. With Trials of Mana, it seems like if around 20 years pass, they try to translate various games. Guess Remote Control Dandy is next. I kid, I kid, but when more people can play the game, it's more money in their pockets.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:00 pm Reply with quote
My next two must have switch purchases, Grid Autosport, and Puzzle Quest
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I do not know why Nintendo wants to bring back Tokyo Mirage Sessions? That game is one of the reasons the last Treehouse got canned, got censorship in the West that's on par with Fates, and it bombed everywhere as it has one of the worst audience alienating premises for a Nintendo game 1st or 3rd party (it's geared towards wota and no one else, if Nintendo is trying to get a mainstream audience, they're going to fail hard again, idols aren't mainstream in the West in 2019) not to mention a terrible battle system. You'd think that game would be old shame.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Deadly Premonition was one of my favorite games from last gen. Such a silly mess,yet it was able to get some really well earned, emotional moments. It alright looks pretty janky,just going off the few seconds of gameplay. I do hope it's a case of it being a timed exclusive,to it leading to a PC release,like with Octopath Traveler.

I tired two times to get into Xenoblade Chronicles,I could only make to the first dungeon before losing interest,due to the grinding I had to do just to get through it. Couldn't get into the characters either or the voice acting
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:32 pm Reply with quote
-Deadly Premonition 2: I was literally speechless when that just appeared from out of nowhere. I absolutely loved playing the first game a couple of years ago on the PS3, and I am so psyched for the sequel. I'll also be getting the Switch port of the first game, but I'll hold off for a physical release. Numskull Games is already going to do one for Europe this November, so hopefully there'll be one for America, too. If not, then at least I know where to import from.

-Terry Bogard in Smash Ultimate: I am beyond excited about this. I had been hoping for Terry ever since Ken got announced, but I always felt that it'd be nothing but a wild dream, so to see this actually happening is mind blowing. That reveal trailer was also absolutely breathtaking; easily one of the greatest trailers ever made.

Also, I agree with Heidi in that Goemon being a Mii Fighter outfit is a shocker, but a cool one.

-SNES on Switch: I haven't really use the NES (or Famicom) service much yet, but I am happy to see Nintendo still going forward with this service. The fact that Puyo Puyo 2 is being included as an import, which Nintendo didn't do for any Japan-exclusives on the NES service, hopefully bodes well for Nintendo simply unifying the rosters across the world. At this point, just add in a warning in the description of Japan-only games, stating that they are not translated. There's no need for people to have to download both (Super) Famicom & (S)NES services in order to enjoy all of the games being offered.

Also, for a neat bit of trivia, the head designer of Joe & Mac 2 was Shingo Kuwana, who later went on to co-found Idea Factory!

-The Rest of the Direct News: As for anything else new, I'm interested in Little Town Hero, if only because the concept sounds neat. I'm also up for Xenoblade, which I never got to playing on the Wii, though I did play & absolutely love Xenoblade X, so I'll more than likely grab this Switch remaster. Then there's Star Wars: Jedi Outcast getting released on Switch, which I'm up for, because I loved playing that on the original Xbox. Then there's also the Doom 64 remaster, which is absolutely awesome; I figured it'd just be a simple port, ala Doom 1 & II, but to see it being given a full-on remaster, complete with proper widescreen support, is really cool. Finally, I am really interesting in checking out Moon, because I have heard good things.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
I do not know why Nintendo wants to bring back Tokyo Mirage Sessions? That game is one of the reasons the last Treehouse got canned, got censorship in the West that's on par with Fates, and it bombed everywhere as it has one of the worst audience alienating premises for a Nintendo game 1st or 3rd party (it's geared towards wota and no one else, if Nintendo is trying to get a mainstream audience, they're going to fail hard again, idols aren't mainstream in the West in 2019) not to mention a terrible battle system. You'd think that game would be old shame.

Right, because it's not like there's any series about entertainment intersecting with fighting off supernatural threats--OH WAIT A SECOND:

Yeah, the premise is weird but people who actually played it LOVED it. It's a goofy, campy ride that somehow manages to marry the disparate SMT and Fire Emblem into something completely original which is why it's such a brilliant crossover. I also don't expect there to be a dub just because it would be a GIGANTIC hassle to find over a dozen actors who not only fit the characters but can sing in character. Anyway, to funsies:

-DP2: I got NOTHIN'.

-Smash: Ah, and now crossover series meets crossover series. We have reached crossover apotheosis. Unless Sakurai decides to put in Super Robot Wars. Now to make guesses as to who the final Season 1 fighter will be; I predict it'll be someone REALLY crazy.

-SNES Online: Geez, Nintendo Online is already outdoing PS+

-Overwatch: Time to demand Nintendo costumes.

-Xenoblade: Cool. Now get Xenoblade X on there. And make a Xenoblade X 2 (and considering how Takahashi has been trying to do that story for his entire career I expect it soon)
Serinox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

SMT/Persona is more popular than ever in the West thanks to Persona 5, so... that's probably why.

Also, the game is pretty good and deserved to not be trapped on the dead platform Wii U and deserves a second shot with an actually living platform, imo. Very happy with this.

Also: DEADLY PREMONITION 2, HECK YES!!! I still can't believe that this is real live <3
Ruddor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:03 pm Reply with quote
The Xenoblade trailer actually did confirm one thing besides just the better graphics and new character models: a new area. The final shot of the trailer shows the characters in a previously inaccessible area believed to be cut from the final version of the game.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:24 pm Reply with quote
That was a pretty good direct, it's a shame that some of the reveals got leaked.
- Terry: I'm glad that SNK got representation alongside other gaming companies;
- Sans: I admit, I haven't played Undertale but I'm aware of it's popularity and I'm happy that the fans at least got some content in Smash including a new song remix;
- SNES: it was about time that they added SNES games, I just hope that some other consoles are next;
- Overwatch: I don't know, I think it's too late for a port, maybe if it had came last yeat it'd been better;
- Little Town Hero looks interesting, and it cool that Game Freak is working with people outside of Japan;
- Sword & Shield: I think the game needs more polish, there's probably going to be a enhanced version after a year;
- Xenoblade: I think it was appropriate that the game received an HD remaster, and I really like how they changed the artstyle.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:27 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

The game did have it's problems but it was far and away from being Wii Music or those educational Super Mario games.

AiddonValentine wrote:

-SNES Online: Geez, Nintendo Online is already outdoing PS+

Do they offer free downloads on (current gen) games or discounts on content cause if not no they aren't.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:03 am Reply with quote
Terry Board on Smash Ultimate: This is totally cool, and Bogard is one of the two well known SNK iconic character along with Kyo Kusanagi. I did play some Fatal Fury games a few years back, but i was somewhat inexperienced at playing the first game to do point i nearly gave it up. Howard falling from his large corporation and fail to receive his invitation was arguably funny and Sans in the game was totally cool! For the last DLC, i would love to see Jin Kazama included in the game, because i am willing for it.

SNES on Switch: I haven't played SNES a lot, i still used to play NES bootleg console and i played a lot of bootlegs, these are the games that impacted my childhood back in the early 2000s, good times.

Overwatch on Switch: Oh yeah baby, i still wish i had Switch for this, but my parents don't have money for it! Sad

Little Town Hero: This is one of the best-anticipated non-Pokemon developed game by Game Freak, hopefully, i hope this game can he ridiculously good as Pokemon is.

New Elements on Pokemon: I heard about a lot of people still complain about not all the Pokemon won't be in the game and some people referred to it as CurryDex, but still these new elements are pretty good and the Polteageist name kinda reminds me of that of Poltergeist, an 1980 film and the remake in 2015.

Animal Crossing Horizon: This new game looks really cool, i am still hyped for this, i still wish i had a Switch though.

(sorry for my poor English though)
Unknow0059

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:02 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

Right, because it's not like there's any series about entertainment intersecting with fighting off supernatural threats--OH WAIT A SECOND:

Yeah, the premise is weird but people who actually played it LOVED it. It's a goofy, campy ride that somehow manages to marry the disparate SMT and Fire Emblem into something completely original which is why it's such a brilliant crossover. I also don't expect there to be a dub just because it would be a GIGANTIC hassle to find over a dozen actors who not only fit the characters but can sing in character.

Well, what's it called?

Also, why is this "week in games" tagged "anime"?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1