Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Unrealized Western Anime Movies


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ultimate N



Joined: 13 Mar 2018
Posts: 23
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:34 pm Reply with quote
There's also the live action Saint Seiya. It's been over 2 years since it was announced and we've still heard nothing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrSatyre



Joined: 25 May 2009
Posts: 28
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:36 pm Reply with quote
The following was written by an unapologetic anime snob.

Leaving aside for a moment the question of "Why?", with---perhaps---the exception of Akira, and (since it's already in production) Cowboy Bebop, none of the anime listed merit remakes as live-action films. First, they're childish, and second, would require so much CGI as to be practically anime when they're finished. To say nothing of Hollywood being utterly incapable of dumbing-down to the level of infantilism the plot, or altering the characters and plot to the same deplorable degree that Paul Verhoeven's Starship Troopers bore only a name in common with the book it was taken from.

Live-actioning anime is a new low for any studio to undertake. It's as pointless and valueless as a photographer shooting a bunch of models to recreate classic paintings: the originality and effort that went into the creation of something truly great and representative of an artistic genre is suddenly made irrelevant.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FrodoGate222



Joined: 21 Jun 2019
Posts: 19
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:37 pm Reply with quote
We still don't know what happened with the Tuxedo Gin movie adaptation from Disney which was announced back in 2011
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 14 Jan 2011
Posts: 293
Location: inland US west, pretty rural
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been in a theater in years, but I might go for Akira or Eva, one of two ways: either they say it's actually good, or they say it's a serious train wreck.

I wish it wasn't true, but live adaptations just have too bad a track record. Not that there aren't a lot of anime sequel movies that I don't bother with, either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kicksville



Joined: 20 Nov 2010
Posts: 783
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
5. Lament of the Lamb

Huh, that was interesting, never heard that whole saga. Also surprised I never heard of the 2003 OVA with Megumi Hayashibara and Tomokazu Seki as the leads.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 3950
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:02 pm Reply with quote
MrSatyre wrote:
The following was written by an unapologetic anime snob.

Leaving aside for a moment the question of "Why?", with---perhaps---the exception of Akira, and (since it's already in production) Cowboy Bebop, none of the anime listed merit remakes as live-action films. First, they're childish, and second, would require so much CGI as to be practically anime when they're finished. To say nothing of Hollywood being utterly incapable of dumbing-down to the level of infantilism the plot, or altering the characters and plot to the same deplorable degree that Paul Verhoeven's Starship Troopers bore only a name in common with the book it was taken from.

Live-actioning anime is a new low for any studio to undertake. It's as pointless and valueless as a photographer shooting a bunch of models to recreate classic paintings: the originality and effort that went into the creation of something truly great and representative of an artistic genre is suddenly made irrelevant.


You forgot to take your handkerchief blow on and wipe off your monocle.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Beatdigga



Joined: 26 Oct 2003
Posts: 2933
Location: Here!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Ah, the Voltron film. Universal was so dead set on it being a franchise in 2016, then Legendary Defender happened, and that did so badly the merch sales and $3 will buy you a cup of coffee. Small wonder it was quietly shelved.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Jonny Mendes



Joined: 17 Oct 2014
Posts: 914
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:00 pm Reply with quote
"Hollywood anime adaptation" is something that makes me cringe every time i hear about it because of the long dark story of what happens every time Hollywood tries to do anime adaptations.
The only one so far that was somewhat good was "Alita: Battle Angel" and even that one had some problems.

So no, it is very difficult to think of buy a ticket for any Hollywood anime adaptation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NiPah



Joined: 11 Feb 2011
Posts: 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Honestly the only good thing IMO to come from a Hollywood remake of an anime is how much money they pay for the rights that go to the Japanese rights holders, the movie itself is best ignored completely.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Suxinn



Joined: 23 Jan 2009
Posts: 43
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Surprised that there isn't at least a small mention of Urasawa's Monster. Wasn't there a Hollywood film in production that fell into development hell a while ago? (Not to mention how del Toro's vision for a live-action TV series is still not off the ground yet, either.) It's one of those series that I'm surprised still hasn't gotten at least one attempt at western live-action, considering that it's actually set in, you know, Europe.

And, speaking of Urasawa, wasn't there some talk about Pluto getting a live-action film too?

Having said that, I've never been a fan of western (particularly Hollywood) remakes of overseas properties, anime or not. So I doubt I'll ever buy tickets to these things even if they do actually surface. (Though I might catch them streaming out of morbid curiosity.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 14465
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:35 pm Reply with quote
It’s only a manga, but if it had an anime, Lone Wolf and Cub would be in there, too.

Also, surprised Noir didn’t make the cut.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Errinundra
Moderator


Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 5357
Location: Melbourne, Oz
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Noir was to be a series, not a film.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya



Joined: 17 Apr 2012
Posts: 1296
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:41 pm Reply with quote
MrSatyre wrote:
....To say nothing of Hollywood being utterly incapable of dumbing-down to the level of infantilism the plot, or altering the characters and plot to the same deplorable degree that Paul Verhoeven's Starship Troopers bore only a name in common with the book it was taken from...
I seriously doubt there is any limit to how far "Hollywood" can dumb anything down as there have been absolutely stupid movies made...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Beatdigga



Joined: 26 Oct 2003
Posts: 2933
Location: Here!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:53 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
It’s only a manga, but if it had an anime, Lone Wolf and Cub would be in there, too.

Also, surprised Noir didn’t make the cut.


I don’t suppose you can count Road to Perdition.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 8562
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Suxinn wrote:
Surprised that there isn't at least a small mention of Urasawa's Monster. Wasn't there a Hollywood film in production that fell into development hell a while ago? (Not to mention how del Toro's vision for a live-action TV series is still not off the ground yet, either.) It's one of those series that I'm surprised still hasn't gotten at least one attempt at western live-action, considering that it's actually set in, you know, Europe.

Well, it still hasn't even gotten a proper NoAm box set release.

Probably one of the biggest hurdles is rewriting it so that it's set in the US (since the rest of the world does not exist) with an American protagonist who is white but still somehow an outsider to the culture. Maybe they could solve the latter by making Tenma a black guy named Ken Tencent. Rolling Eyes Actually, now that I think about it, Monster could now be more plausibly updated to the present than it could have a decade ago, given the resurgence of neoNazis and other right wing extremists across the world.

Yes, I have become cynical about all this, why do you ask?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group