• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Sword/Shield Games Get 7 Net Anime Shorts by Studio Colorido

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:50 am Reply with quote
Can’t wait to watch it!
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:58 am Reply with quote
I like the idea they are going with these upcoming shorts. Very Happy It would be a good opportunity too explore another side of Galar that we don't see in Pokémon Sword and Shield, nor are likely to see in the latest Pokémon anime. I look forward to watching them next year, but I hope someone or a group translates them (which is likely).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Any chance we could get a British dub cast?
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:
Any chance we could get a British dub cast?

I'm ever hoping that will be the case. Or at least get Johnny Yong Bosch to voice a character. He mastered the British accent, and you can tell that in his JoJo's Bizarre Adventure involvement.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:10 am Reply with quote
They could get the cast Nozomi are using for "Emma: A Victorian Romance". They're based in New York too.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:59 am Reply with quote
Most of the characters in the game are still Japanese. The American localization added in a bunch of arbitrary British slang and dialect to characters that wasn't in the original version. It wouldn't be faithful to make Japanese people speak with British English accents.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:12 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Most of the characters in the game are still Japanese.

Weird I thought most of the characters were Galarian. Because it takes place in a fictional universe that doesn't have the same geography or countries as real-life earth.
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:06 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Weird I thought most of the characters were Galarian. Because it takes place in a fictional universe that doesn't have the same geography or countries as real-life earth.

Actually the first four generations are based on Japanese geography. Isshu is based on New York, Kalos is based on France, Alola is based on Hawaii, and Galar is based on the UK. They all use yen as a currency though and are mostly inhabited by Asian-coded characters. Fictional universes can have cultural and racial distinctions, but people often just default to White out of bias and systemic racism.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Jen Bigby wrote:
lossthief wrote:

Actually the first four generations are based on Japanese geography. Isshu is based on New York, Kalos is based on France, Alola is based on Hawaii, and Galar is based on the UK. They all use yen as a currency though and are mostly inhabited by Asian-coded characters. Fictional universes can have cultural and racial distinctions, but people often just default to White out of bias and systemic racism.

That's a bit harsh. Personally, I'd say Unova, Kalos, Alola, and Galar have as much diversity as the countries they're based on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1