• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Black Butler Complete Collection Blu-Ray

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nodz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Abortion subplot is big NOPE

Why that? This plot had a good explanation and it made sense once we discover the killer's backstory. There is absolutely no reason to have this in the negative points.
If you needed something to criticize, you could have talk about the excessive boring filler episodes.
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:08 am Reply with quote
I feel this review is far too harsh, I personally enjoyed the first season despite it veering away from the source material. We have to remember that there wasn't enough manga at the time and maybe they rushed to do an anime purely as the manga was so popular. I thought the animation was good, really interesting characters and despite it not being canon I enjoyed the storyline. An absolutely stellar voice cast as well.

As for the dig about giving it to teens and not older viewers I will just say that I left my teen years behind many years ago but still enjoy watching this.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:10 am Reply with quote
I think Lyznee's review is completely fair, but I also think that Black Butler can appeal to edgy-teens-at-heart just as much as actual edgy teens. It's one of those shows that sounds absolutely stupid on paper but ends up being a lot of fun. And I'm also an adult who has mostly grown out of crushing on 2D boys, but Sebastian... Sebastian makes me feel 15 again. Laughing

I can fully acknowledge that there's a lot of problematic stuff (the Jack the Ripper arc included) touched on in Black Butler, but I think it's clear that very little of it is meant to be taken seriously, and the show is much more enjoyable if you don't think too hard about it.

I'm sure this would be difficult to do since you'd have to find an old copy, but with these Aniplex re-releases, I would be really interested in knowing how the video and audio quality compare to Funimation's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I saw Black Butler a few years ago when Funimation still had it. As someone with no nostalgia for this property, I enjoyed it more than the review but I think this review is a fair criticism of the shows flaws. I think Black Butler would have more appeal if they went back and did a more manga faithful reboot which given how they keep chugging out OVAs every few years and there still seems to be nostalgia for this property, I’m surprised they haven’t given Black Butler a more modernized reboot yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1