• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Fujiko Mine's Lie, The Wonderful Adventures of Nils Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tojikomori

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:41 am Reply with quote
The Wonderful Adventures of Nils is a nice surprise for me. I read the [two?] books a few years back and was curious about the anime but assumed it was a hopeless case. Good old Discotek.
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:35 am Reply with quote
I never in a million years imagined that the Nils Holgersson anime would get released in the US. It was a show I grew up watching, and while I'm happy to be able to add it to my collection, I doubt the show will feel the same without Karel Svoboda's music that was used in European versions of the show. But kids' series like this are exactly what I want to see more of, so I have no choice but to buy it. Maybe one day we can get something out of the World Masterpiece Theater series, too. Peter Pan or Tom Sawyer might be good ones to try first.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:23 am Reply with quote
I hope Koike makes even more Lupin movies. These have all been good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Maid S Runner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Angel's 3 Piece.
Glade to see and looking looking forward to the on Blu-ray.
~
秘密メイド Himitsu Maid
Maid S Runner
LMINI123

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I have been waiting so long for some to license and release Anti Magic academy! Never thought it would actually happen! I'm so excited for this
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Naomi: Or these shows.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed outside of Lupin, Discotek don't do dubs or if they do it's extremely rare. Do they not have the money to produce a dub or are the title they license too obscure to guarantee a return in sales.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:14 pm Reply with quote
VampireNaomi wrote:
I never in a million years imagined that the Nils Holgersson anime would get released in the US. It was a show I grew up watching, and while I'm happy to be able to add it to my collection, I doubt the show will feel the same without Karel Svoboda's music that was used in European versions of the show. But kids' series like this are exactly what I want to see more of, so I have no choice but to buy it. Maybe one day we can get something out of the World Masterpiece Theater series, too. Peter Pan or Tom Sawyer might be good ones to try first.

I'm right there with you, flabbergasted with my money in hand to support this kind of release. Though my most hoped for WMT would be Daddy Long-Legs or A Little Princess Sara, I would be thrilled to get any of them.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:19 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I've noticed outside of Lupin, Discotek don't do dubs or if they do it's extremely rare. Do they not have the money to produce a dub or are the title they license too obscure to guarantee a return in sales.

The latter is more likely.
Lupin's probably at the height of his popularity in the West right now.
The last company willing to take risks on dubbing Lupin into English was Geneon but that was before the bubble burst on anime in 2007. The market has either recovered enough to take the dubbing risk again, or the licensing fees have dropped that much. Discotek isn't going to give us that information. None of the licensing companies really do.

I imagine they're getting good deals on the shows they're releasing in SD on Blu ray as well. I haven't heard of most of these shows or seen stills of them, period.

At least the licenses aren't literally for months.

A few old mech/sci fi series dropped on Blu ray from Sentai/Section 23 Spring last year they were already out of print before the end of 2019!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Discotek is still a relatively small operation, which is why they can’t get new dubs made for many titles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see the Fujiko movie coming out so soon Smile
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:42 am Reply with quote
As much as Discotek is known for Lupin and really old stuff, it's always a pleasant surprise when they pick up recent titles that have fallen through the cracks, like Anti-Magic Academy and Angel's 3Piece. If nothing else, it gives a reason to hope that one's favorite overlooked anime of 2-5 years ago might yet get a Blu-Ray.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:06 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

The latter is more likely.
Lupin's probably at the height of his popularity in the West right now.
The last company willing to take risks on dubbing Lupin into English was Geneon but that was before the bubble burst on anime in 2007. The market has either recovered enough to take the dubbing risk again, or the licensing fees have dropped that much. Discotek isn't going to give us that information. None of the licensing companies really do.

My suspicion is that the Lupin dubs are being financed by TMS. The dub for Fujiko's Lie was screened at Anime Expo and was available for rental or purchase on a number of digital sites like Amazon and iTunes before Discotek announced the license (though they did have Fujiko's Lie shirts available at AX). I'm guessing TMS would do this to help increase the markets they can sell Lupin to.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:38 pm Reply with quote
^That's right, TMS has been involved with most of the Lupin dubs since Jigen's Gravestone and have also moved to dubbing new Case Closed stuff with a LA voice cast, those of which also got screened at conventions a while back.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:32 pm Reply with quote
If they're able to get their hands on Angel's 3Piece, can they just get their hands on Ro-Kyu-Bu anime since Sentai Filmworks has trouble getting this title?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2