• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Mon Colle Knights Anime to Catalog

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Oh cool! I know a lot of people wanted to see this get some kind of official release in some way, so this ought to make the fans happy.

I wonder if this also means a potential Blu-Ray is in the show's future? I mean, Discotek and Crunchyroll have been working together a lot recently.
R.G.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:16 pm Reply with quote
This IS interesting news.

Hopefully Flint the Time Detective will be included too if it hasn’t already.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow! This was the one series I’ve wanted to rewatch but seemed lost to time (I remember some Youtube uploads that lasted for a while but then pretty much any trace of the dub was gone). It aired on Fox Kids when I was in HS and it was just so delightfully quirky. Like, the dub made the show very self aware and I remember it getting a following because of it. I remember when Flint The Time Detective was released in DVD MCK would be next because they came out around the same time, but.. nothing.

Whoever at Crunchyroll remembered this obscure gem and was able to put it up. Thank you so much.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Too bad Crunchyroll only seems to be streaming the sub. Hope the dub will be included on the eventual bluray and especially would like it to stream in the future.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:43 pm Reply with quote
They likely haven’t uploaded the dub because the dub is incomplete as they only dubbed the first 45 episodes before it was canceled. I used to watch this show on Saturday mornings as a kid but I hadn’t seen it in forever and it seemed like the type of show most people had forgotten about compared to the other big name kids monster shows of the early 2000s so I was surprised to see this streaming and that it was the sub too. Now I wish Crunchyroll would stream the sub of Monster Rancher. The sub is on DVD but it’s not streaming anywhere.
Gwydion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:38 am Reply with quote
I can't lie, this is one of those rare times I was genuinely hoping for the dub. Not that I'm not interested in seeing it in Japanese after all this time, but the dub just had a really fun charm to it. Ah well, guess I could always pull out the old VHS tapes I've got with random episodes I recorded from the TV, and now maybe it'll be easier to figure out which order they're supposed to go in, lol.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:38 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
They likely haven’t uploaded the dub because the dub is incomplete as they only dubbed the first 45 episodes before it was canceled.

Why would that matter? Crunchyroll doesn't use the same video source for dubs and subs. World Trigger is on their site with both versions and the dub skipped a filler arc.
peno

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Just like the original Transformers: Robots in Disguise and Digimon Tamers, Mon Colle Knights had the unfortunate fate of falling to the period of selling Saban to Disney. And out of these three anime, only Tamers seemed to be of any interest for Disney, so both RID and Mon Colle suffered in that changing period and unlike RID, which was at least finished, although with a lot of struggles and disordered episodes, Mon Colle was dropped by Disney and it's sad. The series did not deserve that fate. To add insult to this, with all the later changing of Saban properties, who knows where the rights for the original dub are now and if Discotek could even get it. With that said, I am actually happy Discotek bothered with the series and we can now watch it full, even if only with subs. And I hope Discotek will also release the movie as well. That would make me totally happy.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Discotek currently doesn't have the dub on a professional format.
peno

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:00 pm Reply with quote
That's another thing that did not occur to me, though it's logical. Maybe Justin and Discotek could try contacting non-US sources that aired the show, like Canadian Family Channel. Maybe they still have it in usable quality.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:20 am Reply with quote
What year is this? Next thing you'll be telling me is they got Monster Rancher.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:

Discotek released Monster Rancher, & the original Monster Farm, a long time ago, buddy.
peno

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Thank goodness there are companies interested in these old gems!
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Aresef wrote:

Discotek released Monster Rancher, & the original Monster Farm, a long time ago, buddy.

I was referring to CR specifically but, hey, good to know!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1