Forum - View topic
NEWS: Police Arrest High School Student in Tokyo for Bomb Threat on Konami




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lactobacillus yogurti



Joined: 17 Aug 2011
Posts: 758
Location: Latin America
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:29 am Reply with quote
I hope Japan takes that threat seriously and sends that brat to juvie. Even more he should be banned from playing those games if he's going to have that kind of temper tantrum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TarsTarkas



Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 4601
Location: Virginia, United States
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:36 am Reply with quote
Do they even have juvenile court or jail? I don't know.

What I do know, is that you don't want to be on the wrong end of a criminal complaint in Japan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cookiemanstah



Joined: 09 Dec 2013
Posts: 352
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:46 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Do they even have juvenile court or jail? I don't know.

How Japan works is you are granted immunity to any punishment of the law if you're under 18.

The most fucked up shit there ever is but that's how it is. And yes that means you can be a serial killer or have committed murder and still be pardoned. And no, it doesn't mean they remember these things in anticipation for you going 18 and over. Some teen serial killers in Japan went on to live normal lives...

Rehabilitation is an ugly reality. Here in America we don't distinguish with age and don't give much of a damn for rehabilitating evil people. But Japan is the opposite.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
minamikaze



Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Posts: 84
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:18 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Do they even have juvenile court or jail? I don't know.

How Japan works is you are granted immunity to any punishment of the law if you're under 18.

The most fucked up shit there ever is but that's how it is. And yes that means you can be a serial killer or have committed murder and still be pardoned. And no, it doesn't mean they remember these things in anticipation for you going 18 and over. Some teen serial killers in Japan went on to live normal lives...

Rehabilitation is an ugly reality. Here in America we don't distinguish with age and don't give much of a damn for rehabilitating evil people. But Japan is the opposite.


What you are saying does not match up with what is written here:
Japantimes article on prosecution of juvenile offenders

Japan does have juvenile correction facilities. Minors who commit murders are not immune from prosecution.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cookiemanstah



Joined: 09 Dec 2013
Posts: 352
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:31 am Reply with quote
minamikaze wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Do they even have juvenile court or jail? I don't know.

How Japan works is you are granted immunity to any punishment of the law if you're under 18.

The most fucked up shit there ever is but that's how it is. And yes that means you can be a serial killer or have committed murder and still be pardoned. And no, it doesn't mean they remember these things in anticipation for you going 18 and over. Some teen serial killers in Japan went on to live normal lives...

Rehabilitation is an ugly reality. Here in America we don't distinguish with age and don't give much of a damn for rehabilitating evil people. But Japan is the opposite.


What you are saying does not match up with what is written here:
Japantimes article on prosecution of juvenile offenders

Japan does have juvenile correction facilities. Minors who commit murders are not immune from prosecution.

seems like a recent development based on what I read of that article. But also keep in mind that unless they hunt down Junko Furuta's killers to enact proper justice, I'm dismissing any claims at reform of system
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
minamikaze



Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Posts: 84
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:09 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

seems like a recent development based on what I read of that article. But also keep in mind that unless they hunt down Junko Furuta's killers to enact proper justice, I'm dismissing any claims at reform of system



The article mentions recent changes that make the consequences more severe, but even before those changes it mentions a murder case from 1997 and the 14 year old offender was sent to a juvenile detention facility.

It doesn't list any cases before 1997, but if that had been the first time a minor had been sent to a juvenile facility, I'm pretty sure that would have been mentioned. So for at a minimum it has been the case for at least the last 23 years..

Changes since that time:

"In 2000, the law was amended to lower the age of minors who could be tried as an adult from 16 to 14."

"In 2007, the age of minors who can be sent to juvenile correctional facilities was lowered from 14 and older to “around 12” after an elementary school girl stabbed her classmate to death with a utility knife. In 2014, the revision went further and raised the maximum prison term from 15 to 20 years for minors who commit a serious crime before they turn 18."

"In 2008, the law was amended to allow victims or their families to attend family court hearings. "

Japantimes article on prosecution of juvenile offenders


As for the absolutely horrific Junko Furuta case (1988) , the very understandable complaint was that the punishments were not severe enough, but the offenders were definitely prosecuted.

"In July 1990, a lower court sentenced Hiroshi Miyano (18), the alleged leader of the crime, to 17 years in prison. He appealed his sentence, but Tokyo High Court judge Ryūji Yanase sentenced him to an additional three years in prison. "

"Nobuharu Minato (16), who originally received a four-to-six-year sentence, was re-sentenced to five-to-nine years by Judge Ryūji Yanase upon appeal."

"Yasushi Watanabe (17), who was originally sentenced to three-to-four years in prison, received an upgraded sentence of five-to-seven years."

"For his participation in the crime, Jō Ogura served eight years in a juvenile prison before he was released in August 1999. He was 17 at the time of the murder."


Even though they were upgraded on appeal, considering the horrible circumstances of the crime, those are all extremely light sentences. As mentioned above, the laws have become stronger since that time though.


Last edited by minamikaze on Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TarsTarkas



Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 4601
Location: Virginia, United States
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the article, it was quite informative.

Glad to see things slowly moving in the victim families favor. Rape and murder shouldn't be anonymous or subject to expungement.

Be interesting to see what happens to minors making death threats, but we might never hear what happens.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CastMember1991



Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 647
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Dumbass... I'm no fan of Konami by any means nowadays, but does that mean I want to threaten them at all? No. If a game that didn't turn out the way you planned causes you so much trouble that you have to threaten to bomb their headquarters, you need a hobby really bad. Sports cars, trading card collecting, drawing, anything... just GET A LIFE!!!! I mean, when Pokémon Sword and Shield came out, I was pretty disappointed. But, I didn't take even dare to threaten them or take it out on them for no reason. It's so stupid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group