• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Suikoden Creators Reveal Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes Game for 2022

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I can see elements of Suikoden in that battle sequence. This is cool and all but Im still holding out hope for Suikoden 6 someday
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:29 am Reply with quote
Interesting... but has their been a single unequivocally successful Japanese Kickstarter game yet? I dunno about y'all, but I still remember the Project Phoenix scam.
RenimLS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:41 am Reply with quote
Not sure what your definition of “unequivocally successful” is, but I would think Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night‘s Kickstarter was successful and they’ve sold over 1 million units in the span of a year from release. The Metacritic scores are also 80+/100 for most platforms.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:26 am Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of Suikoden so I'll have to see how this goes. I'll take a closer look once it hits Steam and reviews start rolling in.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:13 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
I can see elements of Suikoden in that battle sequence. This is cool and all but Im still holding out hope for Suikoden 6 someday

Me too, but its hard to have hope when Konami is involved. They will really have to repair their relationship with him to get the ball rolling.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:36 pm Reply with quote
RenimLS wrote:
Not sure what your definition of “unequivocally successful” is, but I would think Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night‘s Kickstarter was successful and they’ve sold over 1 million units in the span of a year from release. The Metacritic scores are also 80+/100 for most platforms.

Bloodstained is probably the only Kickstarter game I was happy with backing. Mighty No 9 and NightCry were huge disappointments for me, as fans of Mega Man / Clock Tower. Thankfully we got Mega Man 11 from Capcom in the end. Although even then, to say Bloodstained is on par with Symphony of the Night would be a ludicrous statement and expectation. I would even rank it below the DS trilogy games.

I'm a bit skeptical that crowdfunding can make a true spiritual successor to Suikoden. Good RPGs are huge games, let alone one that is known for having over 100 recruitable characters and combinations. I wish them luck, but I'm keeping my expectations extremely tempered for this. I think I'm more accepting of the fact that some series are over and done with, and no amount of nostalgia promises can fill those voids.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:23 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
RenimLS wrote:

Bloodstained is probably the only Kickstarter game I was happy with backing. Mighty No 9 and NightCry were huge disappointments for me, as fans of Mega Man / Clock Tower. Thankfully we got Mega Man 11 from Capcom in the end. Although even then, to say Bloodstained is on par with Symphony of the Night would be a ludicrous statement and expectation. I would even rank it below the DS trilogy games.

I'm a bit skeptical that crowdfunding can make a true spiritual successor to Suikoden. Good RPGs are huge games, let alone one that is known for having over 100 recruitable characters and combinations. I wish them luck, but I'm keeping my expectations extremely tempered for this. I think I'm more accepting of the fact that some series are over and done with, and no amount of nostalgia promises can fill those voids.

I would agree with you but suikoden was a finished franchise not even close. At one point it was supposed to have at least 20 plus titles and there is an overarching plot about the true runes that has only been hinted at. It's not a series that ran it's course , so I disagree about accepting it as a series that's done.
MacrossLover

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I liked the first suikoden, but never played the other ones. I sold my consoles at that time and it took about 2 gens before I started to play JRPG again. It would be great to play all of them on a modern system, like Steam or Switch. but I don't have high hope for that.

Eiyuden Chronicle look good, I hope it will be a good game, like Bloodstained. Not like Mighty no. 9!

For people who don't know, there are another Suikoden after the 5th. It's called Gensou Suikoden Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki. Jimmy Hapa have made a video about it 3 years ago and you can find it if you're interested :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9jY2iW4ueM
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:09 pm Reply with quote
MacrossLover wrote:
For people who don't know, there are another Suikoden after the 5th. It's called Gensou Suikoden Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki. Jimmy Hapa have made a video about it 3 years ago and you can find it if you're interested :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9jY2iW4ueM
there was Suikoden Tierkreis after V but before the one you mention too. But both Tierkreis and Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki are alternate universe side games and not directly related to the numbered games. There was also a Suikoden IV pachinko released in 2011.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1