• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Doraemon Film Stays at #2, Given Film Debuts at #9 at Japanese Box Office

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I saw the Given film this weekend and can confirm that it was extremely popular with the older-teenager-to-younger-adult female demographic. It's worth noting that "mini-theatre rankings" simply means that the film had a limited release; I saw it in the largest auditorium at the nicest multiplex in the area!

Erratum: Ugetsu is Akihiko's former lover, not a band member.

Without providing any spoilers beyond the plot description, it's a really excellent movie—not only a worthy follow-up to the series, but also that rare anime film that satisfyingly wraps up all the threads the TV show left hanging and serves as a true capstone. That said, the "G" rating in Japan is going to seem insanity in foreign countries, given some of the more... unusual... sexual activities it portrays, including one sequence that feels straight out of Call Me By Your Name. I will be watching its certifications in other territories with great amusement.
Changeman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:24 am Reply with quote
Neko-sensei wrote:
I saw the Given film this weekend and can confirm that it was extremely popular with the older-teenager-to-younger-adult female demographic. It's worth noting that "mini-theatre rankings" simply means that the film had a limited release; I saw it in the largest auditorium at the nicest multiplex in the area!

Erratum: Ugetsu is Akihiko's former lover, not a band member.

Without providing any spoilers beyond the plot description, it's a really excellent movie—not only a worthy follow-up to the series, but also that rare anime film that satisfyingly wraps up all the threads the TV show left hanging and serves as a true capstone. That said, the "G" rating in Japan is going to seem [b]insanity in foreign countries,[/b] given some of the more... unusual... sexual activities it portrays, including one sequence that feels straight out of Call Me By Your Name. I will be watching its certifications in other territories with great amusement.

True, unfortunately as in Japan there is a heavy censorship in video games many people think that everything is censored there, but in fact Japanese cinema has much more freedom than many western countries, some films that get rating 12 years there get rating 18 years in the USA, an example is Blade The Immortal.

Quote:
I will be watching its certifications in other territories with great amusement.

In a year, just look at the list on imdb.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:41 am Reply with quote
Neko-sensei wrote:
That said, the "G" rating in Japan is going to seem insanity in foreign countries, given some of the more... unusual... sexual activities it portrays, including one sequence that feels straight out of Call Me By Your Name. I will be watching its certifications in other territories with great amusement.
I love Given but how did anyone assigning the rating to this movie looked at the film and came to the conclusion that G was the perfect rating for it?
Changeman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:14 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Neko-sensei wrote:
That said, the "G" rating in Japan is going to seem insanity in foreign countries, given some of the more... unusual... sexual activities it portrays, including one sequence that feels straight out of Call Me By Your Name. I will be watching its certifications in other territories with great amusement.
I love Given but how did anyone assigning the rating to this movie looked at the film and came to the conclusion that G was the perfect rating for it?

The people who decide on the rating of films in Japan are quite tolerant when compared to those who decide on video games. Kingdom and Ajin live-action also have a G rating, even Inuyashiki.

Here is an example of a Japanese action film that is rated 12 years old there, but is 15 and 18 years old in other countries: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLo7xDqmJQs

info: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5678110/parentalguide?ref_=tt_stry_pg#certification
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:29 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

To be fair, Japan has no equivalent of the American "PG" rating, so "G" covers everything below a US PG-13 (the next rating up in Japan is PG12).

However, even if there are no genitalia in sight and everything's tastefully composed, I'm fairly confident the very existence of spoiler[(at least attempted) analingus] in a movie would be enough to get it an R in the US for "Some Strong Sexual Content." Tragically, whoever eventually licenses the Given movie in the States probably won't bother submitting it for a rating, so we'll never know what the MPAA would have made of it...
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I suspect the Given movie will probably just get dumped on Crunchyroll in the US especially now we're in the middle of a pandemic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1