• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: act-age Artist Shiro Usazaki Issues Statement on Writer's Arrest, Manga's Cancellation

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:32 am Reply with quote
I've never read this manga (and with it cancelled, I never will. Why start something that has no end?), but I think cancelling it is a shame. Though I don't know how ownership works with stuff like this. If the author owns it. Then there's little choice. But if Shueisha owns it, it might have been better to finish it with a different writer. Even if that was just rushing an ending out quickly.

And just to repeat myself, I'm talking purely about the manga. I dont disagree with getting rid of the author.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:08 am Reply with quote
the fact that any of this has to be said is really sad
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:24 am Reply with quote
Who the hell could possibly be blaming the vict...oh, right, the internet. Doesn't matter how insane a belief is, you can find someone that holds it.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:30 am Reply with quote
Its probably a few hardcore fans who blame them for causing the manga to be cancelled, even tough it was clearly the writers fault. This happens when a series is forced to be unfinished even when the perpetrator committed a felony.

Its a disappointment that the series is cancelled but they should not be doing any victim blaming as that is just messed up. I hope they can recover well from the trauma and i hope Usazaki can find new work to portray her artistic talents as she should not receive any faults for the writers perversions.
Nayrael

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:08 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Who the hell could possibly be blaming the vict...oh, right, the internet. Doesn't matter how insane a belief is, you can find someone that holds it.

Fans in general can be very toxic. And here, we are talking about the country where fans will turn into monsters just because their favorite singer has fallen in love with someone.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:39 am Reply with quote
I disagree with only one thing, if I understood that correctly:
Quote:
Usazaki mentioned that they do not want the act-age manga to be a work that triggers similar reactions from the victims, and so considered the cancellation of the manga to be appropriate

I don't think it's right to remove work of art because it reminds someone of the creator in bad way. Many shitty people have created works of art, but their art belongs to all of humanity. Of course, in this case they probably can't continue manga without paying writer for writing or for the IP rights, which is out of the question, but simply having the manga exist is not in any way wrong just because it's associated with someone or something bad.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:35 am Reply with quote
I understand the disappointment because its such a great, unique series.

But the writer is right and that people should not blame the victims but really the writer for being a huge scumbag.

I still hope that somewhere in the future they just bring back Act-Age with a complete new writer because it doesn't deserve to be completely abandoned cause of one douchebag
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:38 am Reply with quote
This statement just makes me wish even more for her next work to be a success. She really seems like a incredibly decent person.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:56 am Reply with quote
TheOtakuX wrote:
I've never read this manga (and with it cancelled, I never will. Why start something that has no end?), but I think cancelling it is a shame. Though I don't know how ownership works with stuff like this. If the author owns it. Then there's little choice. But if Shueisha owns it, it might have been better to finish it with a different writer. Even if that was just rushing an ending out quickly.

And just to repeat myself, I'm talking purely about the manga. I dont disagree with getting rid of the author.

I think the idea that it's hypothetically possible to "continue" is moot, because it's a safe bet that Usazaki (and probably other people involved with it) doesn't want to continue working on or be associated with this series no matter the circumstances.[/i]
Kamui The Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I know people are disappointed but this is not the end of the artist. Better to move on from this and let those girls heal from this.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I have always seen Manga as a team work, cancelling the thing just because one team member is a moron doesn't sound right to me.

Real Madrid didn't dissolve after CR was accused of something way worse, if the guy is a moron then fire him and find somebody else to write the thing.

"But he would get loyalties", he is already getting them, the Manga is selling more now I was told.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Real Madrid didn't dissolve after CR was accused of something way worse, if the guy is a moron then fire him and find somebody else to write the thing.

It's a bit harder to replace an author than an artist.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:20 pm Reply with quote
And I'll reiterate, even if they could replace the author, it's possible that Usazaki an co. just don't feel comfortable working on this manga anymore.
Flü

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

It's a bit harder to replace an author than an artist.

I assume you mean "an athlete" to go with the example given, because replacing the artist would be just as hard, if not harder, for some series and definitely for Act-Age. Shiro's art and the way it sold emotional scenes were arguably even more essential to the success of the serien than the writing of the guy.

Doesn't change that cancelling the series was the right call at this point, ofc.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Flü wrote:
I assume you mean "an athlete" to go with the example given

No, I meant 'author' and I stand by that statement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2