Forum - View topic
Meet Cover Corp CEO Motoaki “Yagoo” Tanigo, The Man Behind Hololive's Virtual YouTubers




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Artesox



Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 90
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:21 am Reply with quote
Nice to see HoloEN is on its way. Hololive managed to give a lot of spotlight to talented people who were previous quite obscure in previous identities, hopefully the same thing happens with western talent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hoppy800



Joined: 09 Aug 2013
Posts: 2800
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:25 am Reply with quote
Just right after Polka and Botan's late night chat stream, Polka really likes to talk about Yagoo. We found a candidate for the most interesting man in the world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#914276



Joined: 02 Sep 2020
Posts: 3
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:34 am Reply with quote
I would like to hear more about Mano Aloe's situation and the support she is receiving. She's in a unique spot having her private information being exposed and facing targeted abuse from the internet at a very young age. Since her departure was cited as being "Mental and Physical unpreparedness", her well being is of concern.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kougeru



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 5243
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:46 pm Reply with quote
They'll probably never talk about Mano-chan ever again, unless she makes a miracle comeback. But I wouldn't expect that. ANN probably didn't want to ask any risky questions on their first meeting. I'd love to know if they're going to put more effort into protecting their idols though. What happened to Mano-chan was 100% the managers fault for not doing his job and MANAGING her to delete the video. 100% Cover's fault. Her entire career ruined by that. Then there's other idols that have had issues. Cover really needs to step up in...covering for their employees.

I'm surprised he didn't mention AKB48 at all lol.

I don't really see English Hololive working too well. CN and ID hololive have a realistically much higher chance of success and they're not doing amazing so I can't imagine English Hololive would do so well. If it's Americans as well, Twitch culture has basically killed any real interest I would have in such a vtube unless the EN Hololiver doesn't conform that. But most English audiences seem to only like that kinda toxic community now days. That's a big reason I like hololive to begin with - much less toxic. English Vtubers in other companies also don't really do too well. We'll see, obviously, but my faith is low.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MiloTheFirst



Joined: 10 Dec 2014
Posts: 393
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
What happened to Mano-chan was 100% the managers fault for not doing his job and MANAGING her to delete the video. 100% Cover's fault. Her entire career ruined by that. Then there's other idols that have had issues. Cover really needs to step up in...covering for their employees.


first of all the video that incited the doxxers was one she made in her previous identity as an independent, where she criticised the industry and alleged that another vtuber from a different agency had her information leaked by a peer, that's completely outside hololives control. the suspension she got for "leaking her avatar prior to her debut" was just a cover up so she could take a break and let the fire die down.


{Mod Edit}: I edited your post. I suggest you leave out the personal insults when making a point. ~ Psycho 101
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VerQuality
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 01 Oct 2016
Posts: 93
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
However, the reality is that we are still in the process of stabilizing the internal structure of our company.


I'm glad he's mentioned this. There have been several incidents lately that give the impression the interior workings of Cover are a mess, or at least grossly unprepared for the amount of growth they've been seeing lately. Not only their recent copyright issues (which also led to them accidentally nuking almost all of Subaru's videos - not just privating as a temporary measure, but outright deleting), but also their handling of Aloe. Honestly, this is probably as direct an admission we're going to get that they recognize these issues need to be fixed, and that they're working on it. Maybe I'm being overly charitable, but I really hope Cover is able to continue to be a company worth supporting, because I do like a lot of their vtubers (hololives and holostars both).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Asterisk-CGY



Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Posts: 385
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:40 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:


first of all the video that incited the doxxers was one she made in her previous identity as an independent, where she criticised the industry and alleged that another vtuber from a different agency had her information leaked by a peer, that's completely outside hololives control. the suspension she got for "leaking her avatar prior to her debut" was just a cover up so she could take a break and let the fire die down.


{Mod Edit}: I edited your post. I suggest you leave out the personal insults when making a point. ~ Psycho 101


The issue still is in these situations it is better to publicly support your talent as well as making strides to protect them instead of trying to appease the harassers in an attempt to let things die down. Their decision to not denouce her attackers means there's a good chance Aloe did not get the support she would have needed to sustain their ongoing harassment, to the point she would feel like she would need to quit. Without that public statement can mean a lot in what Aloe would feel regarding her continued involvement in the scene.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zeroyuki92



Joined: 03 Oct 2011
Posts: 44
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:10 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

I don't really see English Hololive working too well. CN and ID hololive have a realistically much higher chance of success and they're not doing amazing so I can't imagine English Hololive would do so well. If it's Americans as well, Twitch culture has basically killed any real interest I would have in such a vtube unless the EN Hololiver doesn't conform that. But most English audiences seem to only like that kinda toxic community now days. That's a big reason I like hololive to begin with - much less toxic. English Vtubers in other companies also don't really do too well. We'll see, obviously, but my faith is low.


"They are not doing amazing"? Well yeah, maybe not the most successful ever thing in planet earth, but they're doing pretty well comparatively.

HololiveCN has 100-200k++ subs in Biribiri, which is not Fubuki number, but still only a bit below the number of 'normal' hololive subs number in there.

HololiveID has 80-120k, which is faaar bigger than any ID vtuber not named Hana Macchia or Andi Adinata (which are both monsters for their own different reasons).

Considering that they are still in the first/second generation and both received pretty unexpectedly well impression from global viewers, I think they must have at least met the initial expectations. ID have announced 2nd gen audition few months ago, so it's clear that the management decides that they want to dig even deeper into the market. Something that I assume they won't be doing that if the numbers are bad.

By looking at HoloID (can't say anything about CN since they're on bilibili), it's clear that the fandom that has been materialized does not correlate too much with the existing internet community of their region. HoloID, NijiID, and Maha5 (the big three company for ID vtubers) each has their own quite distinct fanbase that is not really similar with the traditional local youtube/anifans fandom (and also not similar with each other), so I'm pretty sure that the effect of Twitch fandom would not affect HoloEN too much. Just like how most geek fandom evolves, in the end they will just become their own thing the more they evolve as a community.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paperbox



Joined: 03 Aug 2013
Posts: 25
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:39 am Reply with quote
Last time I checked the holoID girls were doing relatively well, their numbers, like holostars, average between 300-1000.
Minor/indie Vtubers get 40-80 viewers live, Mayura, Mizuryu and Ichika are good examples.
Not everyone can pull 20k viewers consistently.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bennyl



Joined: 06 Apr 2019
Posts: 92
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:18 am Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
MiloTheFirst wrote:


first of all the video that incited the doxxers was one she made in her previous identity as an independent, where she criticised the industry and alleged that another vtuber from a different agency had her information leaked by a peer, that's completely outside hololives control. the suspension she got for "leaking her avatar prior to her debut" was just a cover up so she could take a break and let the fire die down.


{Mod Edit}: I edited your post. I suggest you leave out the personal insults when making a point. ~ Psycho 101


The issue still is in these situations it is better to publicly support your talent as well as making strides to protect them instead of trying to appease the harassers in an attempt to let things die down. Their decision to not denouce her attackers means there's a good chance Aloe did not get the support she would have needed to sustain their ongoing harassment, to the point she would feel like she would need to quit. Without that public statement can mean a lot in what Aloe would feel regarding her continued involvement in the scene.


That will never happen in a Japanese company. Japanese idols are a manufactured product, not a person in their system. They can always just manufacture another idol if one is needed. Considering the past 30 years of this going on in Japan, no one should be surprised at this point, especially not aspiring idols, virtual or otherwise. It clearly doesn't have to be that way, especially if Youtube is the primary platform, and yet people keep signing up for it, all for just a fleeting chance of fame.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kougeru



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 5243
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:18 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
What happened to Mano-chan was 100% the managers fault for not doing his job and MANAGING her to delete the video. 100% Cover's fault. Her entire career ruined by that. Then there's other idols that have had issues. Cover really needs to step up in...covering for their employees.


first of all the video that incited the doxxers was one she made in her previous identity as an independent, where she criticised the industry and alleged that another vtuber from a different agency had her information leaked by a peer, that's completely outside hololives control. the suspension she got for "leaking her avatar prior to her debut" was just a cover up so she could take a break and let the fire die down.
[/i][/b]


That's 100% assumptions on your end. And no, that's not exactly what started the doxxing. People were digging into Gen 5s identities for no reason. They found that another member was using their Gen5 character as a twitter avatar on her old account which then lead them to finding twitter accounts of the other 4, including Mano-chan. THAT led to them finding the video where she (Rightly) criticized the industry and talked about how her friend quit because of stalkers. She said nothing wrong. She did nothing wrong.

The official word is they suspended her for the video that the MANAGER approved of. That means it's entirely the managers fault for not doing their job and making sure the video was deleted - that's part of "managing" their talent. Saying it's a "cover" is complete speculation and you cannot state that as a fact. We can only work off what Hololive/Cover has told us.


Last edited by Kougeru on Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kougeru



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 5243
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:30 am Reply with quote
zeroyuki92 wrote:


"They are not doing amazing"? Well yeah, maybe not the most successful ever thing in planet earth, but they're doing pretty well comparatively.

HololiveCN has 100-200k++ subs in Biribiri, which is not Fubuki number, but still only a bit below the number of 'normal' hololive subs number in there.

HololiveID has 80-120k, which is faaar bigger than any ID vtuber not named Hana Macchia or Andi Adinata (which are both monsters for their own different reasons).

Considering that they are still in the first/second generation and both received pretty unexpectedly well impression from global viewers, I think they must have at least met the initial expectations. ID have announced 2nd gen audition few months ago, so it's clear that the management decides that they want to dig even deeper into the market. Something that I assume they won't be doing that if the numbers are bad.



Their generations are largely irrelevant. The Hololive generations before them in Japan count. Those build up hype, and CN/ID numbers are still "low". I wasn't saying they're not succeeding, I literally said they're not doing "amazing". They're far below even the average Hololive JP. And like I said, China and ID have a MUCH higher chance of success since their culture is far closer than ENG countries. I don't go by subscriber count, though. Those are misleading. Coco doesn't have the most subscribers, far from it, but she's by FAR the most profitable and gets like 10k viewers per stream. When I looked at ID they were only getting a few hundred views per stream. The Hololive CN I watched on bilibli live also only had a few hundred viewers per stream. Compared to the less popular JP Hololive girls, it's really really low. Towa is one of the least subbed for example and she gets 2k-4k viewers in her lowest streams. So my point was that I don't see Hololive EN doing any better than them, due to culture. And doing less than a few hundred per stream doesn't leave much room for success.

As for the parts I removed from quote, I still have fear that Twitch culture will affect this. Hololive requires experience as a "creator" and for English-speaking people that almost always means Twitch, or "for children" YTers. Especially for women, there's very few female successful female YouTube streamers. Twitch is the most likely "Experience" they'd have had. It may NOT affect them, but there's a good chance Twitch culture is ingrained in them. There's already some fake "vtubers" (I say fake because you can't be a Tuber if you aren't on youtube lol) on Twitch that are embracing the toxicity. Honestly, embracing the toxic culture and streaming on Twitch might be the only way HoloEN would actually succeed lol. It would be sad, and I'd hate for them to take that approach, but that's the stuff most English-speaking audiences like when it comes to streamers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13901
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:44 am Reply with quote
bennyl wrote:

That will never happen in a Japanese company. Japanese idols are a manufactured product, not a person in their system. They can always just manufacture another idol if one is needed. Considering the past 30 years of this going on in Japan, no one should be surprised at this point, especially not aspiring idols, virtual or otherwise. It clearly doesn't have to be that way, especially if Youtube is the primary platform, and yet people keep signing up for it, all for just a fleeting chance of fame.


Dunno how they can use this to advance their career if they can't put it on their resume
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group