• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Debut 3rd Fate/stay night Heaven's Feel Film in U.S. Theaters on November 18

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:11 am Reply with quote
My local AMC had better screen this. They've never bothered to screen any anime compared to the local Regal (one of many to close again!!!), yet will screen any Disney or Marvel movie under the sun for special events.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:15 am Reply with quote
I saw the first two films in the theater, and they were magnificent. But this one I'll have to wait for a home video release --- too many people in my family are at-risk for COVID.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:22 am Reply with quote
I really wish you didn't post this. I know it's news, but it's an extremely irresponsible thing for Aniplex to be doing. Over 20 states are getting worse again, the death count seems to be increasing faster than ever (177k in August and we're already at 215k now). Reopening something like this is a massively irresponsible move. All these theaters may require masks "except when eating" but

1. There should be no "except". Even taking it off to eat is too much. That's partially why restaurants and bars are a leading source of spread.

2. These places have terrible air circulation. The virus absolutely loves it. Even with a mask, this is floating around the air and you can get in through other means such as it landing on your popcorn or just your hand before you eat.

It's simply not safe. Statically likely that someone will be hospitalized because of this, at least. Maybe not someone that even goes, but someone down the line of infection they'll likely spread

There's really no reason for them to not stream this other than greed since people are more accepting of BS high prices for theaters compared to streaming.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:40 am Reply with quote
I wonder how much of this is because a decision was made higher up that Aniplex's movies would be in theaters and now they're stuck with it? Movie studios are either doing digital releases or delaying, (including Sony moving James Bond back again). We also have Aniplex and Funimation saying they intend to have Demon Slayer in theaters, while Funimation also records its dubs from home to mitigate risks. With various AoA titles coming to Funimation streaming, you'd think the pieces are there to go digital with these things. It wouldn't be the first time where companies are stuck handling anime in a way they don't want because a contract required something and it wasn't possible to get it changed.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:43 am Reply with quote
I really wish there were some sort of digital alternative, like paying a matinee price for access to some sort of scheduled streaming event.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:56 am Reply with quote
Welp, there goes watching this in theaters out the window. Maybe they might screen it again after the pandemic is over, but I feel like that’s still doubtful even with these extenuating circumstances.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:17 am Reply with quote
I concur with the others who think that screening movies in the U.S. at this time is sheer madness. Companies should do the responsibly thing and stop making plans for theatrical releases for the foreseeable future.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:31 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I really wish you didn't post this. I know it's news, but it's an extremely irresponsible thing for Aniplex to be doing. Over 20 states are getting worse again, the death count seems to be increasing faster than ever (177k in August and we're already at 215k now). Reopening something like this is a massively irresponsible move. All these theaters may require masks "except when eating" but

There's really no reason for them to not stream this other than greed since people are more accepting of BS high prices for theaters compared to streaming.

I think it is fine to report on it. Stupid people are going to be stupid. I don't see hearing about this being enough to convince someone that has been taking proper precautions for months to stop. I do agree about it being irresponsible for Aniplex.

That said, they probably can't just stream it. However, they should instead just sit on it until they can stream it.
omoikane

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I think more importantly a lot of people are just not going to go see this in theaters, it's the same logic behind all the movie delays from bigger companies. Covid is one thing but North America is just not ready to go back in theaters generally, regardless of how anyone feels about safety.

But then again, anime film screenings are not stranger to low viewership so maybe that doesn't matter to Aniplex.
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I guess Sakura won't be the only person gasping for air am I right?
Seriously why? Like movie theaters are not safe places and I don't trust them to keep it clean I'm sorry but when the floor is sticky from sugar then I'm suspect. I know one UK critic said he's never going to cinemas again.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:51 pm Reply with quote
This is intensely frustrating. There's no way I can risk going to this given the risk factors of people I can't avoid regular contact with and the nearest city to me still having a spike in cases from all the university students coming back in September. Not only will I have to wait for an expensive blu-ray to see the film at all; I'll probably never get to see it in theaters, because I doubt they'll arrange another screening once theaters are actually safe.
FrodoGate222

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:16 pm Reply with quote
As much as I want to finally see HF3, why couldn't Aniplex do what Sentai did with MiA movie 3 and release it on Eventive or a service similar to it?
WingKing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, add me to the chorus. I've loved this film series and ordinarily I'd be near the front of the line buying tickets, but at this point I'm still not even comfortable dining indoors at restaurants no matter how socially distanced the other customers are. There's no way in hell I'm going anywhere near a movie theater, not until this thing has run its course.
TexZero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Lol nope.
Given the current climate i'll just wait for the Blu-Ray release because my fellow americans can't be bothered to wear a damn mask and would rather see the nation be the best at being the worst.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I saw the Made in Abyss movie in theaters in Texas this past August, and there were only like 15 people total in the entire theater room, all spread out in couples, all wearing masks. If I can watch this movie the same way I'll take it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2